Confirmed with Link: Jay Woodcroft and Dave Manson fired - no more Woody during NNN - Kris Knoblauch hired, Coffey as assistant

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Still incredible the difference this has made for this group
Knoblauch is 44-19 since his frist win against the Islanders.
Thats a 70% winning percentage in 63 games.
Over an 82 game schedule that would mean 115 points.

The Oilers have had 2 seasons in their history where they fininshed at or above 115 points.
Those were 1983/84 and 1985/86. There was an 80 game schedule back then but still...what they have accomplished under Knoblauch is pretty impressive.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
If you say so. Stat models aren't everything of course.

I think Knoblach and especially Coffey have done a better job than their predecessors. I also think that Woodcroft's Oilers were very. very clearly not a bottom 2 team in the NHL and that there are a lot of posters on this board who for whatever reason are unwilling to accept that a lot of the teams turnaround has to do with Skinner's improved play.
Yeah, I posted all the numbers in a couple different threads & nobody wants to admit it because it goes against the narrative they want.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Knoblauch is 44-19 since his frist win against the Islanders.
Thats a 70% winning percentage in 63 games.
Over an 82 game schedule that would mean 115 points.

The Oilers have had 2 seasons in their history where they fininshed at or above 115 points.
Those were 1983/84 and 1985/86. There was an 80 game schedule back then but still...what they have accomplished under Knoblauch is pretty impressive.
Didn't they do the same under Woody the season he took over?

It's also been super quite on the woody front since his dismissal......

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Didn't they do the same under Woody the season he took over?

It's also been super quite on the woody front since his dismissal......
It was a pretty good record under Woody as well but the playoffs were a big disappointment.
Woody was clearly out coached IMO.

We will get an even better sense of Knoblauch as a coach once the playoffs start.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Does anyone have the defensive metrics between this years oilers and last years under woody/manson? Seems like we allow far fewer shots this year and not as many grade A chances.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There are quite a few differences between Knoblauch and Woody but for me the most obvious difference invloves the in game adjustments.
Knoblauch has a much better feel for the games than Woody did and he seems to be much more adpet at making the necessary correct adjustments.

Ultimately though I completely disagree regarding the coaching change not doing much.
The proof is in the record and there was precious little indication that the players were going to turn things around with Woody at the helm.

Now we shall see what Knoblauch is able to extract from this lineup in the playoffs.
I am expecting a lot.
Woody was doing the same thing for his tenure up until this year. Saying otherwise is revisionist history.

There was tons of indication analytically that things would probably turn around.

I am expecting little from Knoblauch in the playoffs. He is a rookie NHL coach that will be coaching against a ton of potential very veteran and experienced coaches.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Does anyone have the defensive metrics between this years oilers and last years under woody/manson? Seems like we allow far fewer shots this year and not as many grade A chances.
Only fair to judge the team since Ekholm, so last year from Ekholm on…the team was…
CA/60 57.18 5th
SA/60 29.53 15th
GA/60 2.34 11th
xGA/60 2.53 12th
SCA/60 26.66 10th
HDCA/60 10.78 10th

Vs since Knob took over
CA/60 53.97 4th
SA/60 27.05 7th
GA/60 2.13 6th
xGA/60 2.43 9th
SCA/60 25.98 10th
HDCA/60 10.53 8th

So definitely an improvement but not some night and day difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: TKB21

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Only fair to judge the team since Ekholm, so last year from Ekholm on…
CA/60 57.18 5th
SA/60 29.53 15th
GA/60 2.34 11th
xGA/60 2.53 12th
SCA/60 26.66 10th
HDCA/60 10.78 10th

Vs since Knob took over
CA/60 53.97 4th
SA/60 27.05 7th
GA/60 2.13 6th
xGA/60 2.43 9th
SCA/60 25.98 10th
HDCA/60 10.53 8th

??? Is that the whole team?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Woody was doing the same thing for his tenure up until this year. Saying otherwise is revisionist history.

There was tons of indication analytically that things would probably turn around.

I am expecting little from Knoblauch in the playoffs. He is a rookie NHL coach that will be coaching against a ton of potential very veteran and experienced coaches.
We are just going to have to disagree.
A lot of the anayltics being thrown around in here painted an incomplete picture.
They were completey lacking in terms of explaining the teams woes in the first part of the season...hardly definitive.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It was a pretty good record under Woody as well but the playoffs were a big disappointment.
Woody was clearly out coached IMO.

We will get an even better sense of Knoblauch as a coach once the playoffs start.

Woody had a .724 sv% when he took over and the team made it to the conference finals that first year, including a playoff win in the Battle of Alberta. Getting swept by the Avalanche in the conference finals sucked but I'm not sure you could call that first playoffs a big disappointment. It was a big step forward towards the Oilers looking like a genuine cup contender. He accomplished more than McLellan or Tippet did.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Woody had a .724 sv% when he took over and the team made it to the conference finals that first year, including a playoff win in the Battle of Alberta. Getting swept by the Avalanche in the conference finals sucked but I'm not sure you could call that first playoffs a big disappointment. It was a big step forward towards the Oilers looking like a genuine cup contender. He accomplished more than McLellan or Tippet did.

Honestly, if Woody had just kept things more simple, more focused, and more adaptable, he'd probably still be here IMO. But I wonder if some of the success went to his head early (not to mention the powerplay masking a lot of deficiencies).

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Knob, Woody, Tipp, and the Cock.

Our next coach will probably be Babcock, or Luke Richardson.
Babcock sounds too folksy (Leafsy). Richardson, on the other hand, is the name suited for the team representing the City of Champions.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Babcock sounds too folksy (Leafsy). Richardson, on the other hand, is the name suited for the team representing the City of Champions.
1712847773788.png

• Haha
Reactions: tiger_80

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree...the first playoffs werent a disappointment at all.
The 2nd playoffs were a big disapppintment IMO just due to how they lost. Woody was out coached.
His system was not only exposed but his inability to make the appropriate adjustments was exposed as well. It was clear that when the competition was distilled down that Woody just wasnt going to be able to get this team where it wanted to go.
The coaching change IMO was needed.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

I agree with this. He hasn't used time outs or goalie changes much if at all this year for example. These are tools he has at hand.

That said he will coach well enough as this team is aces with his coaching.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Interesting how with you it goes from they aren’t turning it around to obviously they were going to turn it around… look at the analytics.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree...the first playoffs werent a disappointment at all.
The 2nd playoffs were a big disapppintment IMO just due to how they lost. Woody was out coached.
His system was not only exposed but his inability to make the appropriate adjustments was exposed as well. It was clear that when the competition was distilled down that Woody just wasnt going to be able to get this team where it wanted to go.
The coaching change IMO was needed.
Don’t disagree

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Only fair to judge the team since Ekholm, so last year from Ekholm on…the team was…
CA/60 57.18 5th
SA/60 29.53 15th
GA/60 2.34 11th
xGA/60 2.53 12th
SCA/60 26.66 10th
HDCA/60 10.78 10th

Vs since Knob took over
CA/60 53.97 4th
SA/60 27.05 7th
GA/60 2.13 6th
xGA/60 2.43 9th
SCA/60 25.98 10th
HDCA/60 10.53 8th

IIRC, the Oilers went from 31st in rush chances against at the beginning of the season, to top 3 under Knoblauch. So yes they've been similar overall, but Woodcroft's new system, combined with atrocious goaltending at the beginning of the year really messed them up. Also, I'm sure Manson is a great guy but I much prefer Coffey's "always make plays" style. Huge improvement in that regard.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad