Confirmed with Link: Jay Woodcroft and Dave Manson fired - no more Woody during NNN - Kris Knoblauch hired, Coffey as assistant

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think a big part of this is both McDavid and Ekholm being healthy. It's easy to see the difference between McDavid now and McDavid in the first 10+ games. But I think the same thing can be said of Ekholm as well. He looks like the version that came from Nashville right now and he sure did not early on.
As much as he's looking better its uncanny that on one of the goals last night Ekholm is the one chasing out of position and Booch is right where he's supposed to be. Just thought it was funny. Ekholm knew he screwed up. The Veteran made the wrong play, the student had the lesson plan down. ;)

Goal probably doesn't occur if Ekholm doesnt' abandon net front. Its funnier still because its what the team worked on through their long break.

Ekholm is great to have. Not saying otherwise. But the Viking got a little bloodlust last night too. Theres a lot of good with that, but he's not 100% the player that doesn't get distracted by it. Ek can lose his cool and focus at times.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Its an absolutely fair perspective to have because the reality was that both the optics around his hiring and his lack of coaching experience were obvious issues.
That Coffey appears to have made the most of this coaching opportunity (and overcome his lack of coaching experience) is welcome news.

Considering the reality of of the bolded there is certainly no justification for any poster to use Coffeys apparent success to generate an "I told you so" moment.
Personally, I'd phrase it the players as having responded and made the most of the opportunity this new coaching staff and its d-coach have provided. Coffey was a known entity to them and was a credible and importantly an available resource to them when this season was on the brink.

Despite poor options of a badly botched media conference this team's coaching staff and its d-coach has overcome reactive rush to judgement to stabilize this team and most importantly its own zone confidence and play. Coffey's been a vital cog within Knoblauch's leadership and Stuart shouldn't be overlooked for overseeing the incredible PK turnaround.

It's been interesting hearing and reading the d-corp's comments about working with Coffey and the many small details in how he's approached building up their confidence and cohesion as a group.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
As much as he's looking better its uncanny that on one of the goals last night Ekholm is the one chasing out of position and Booch is right where he's supposed to be. Just thought it was funny. Ekholm knew he screwed up. The Veteran made the wrong play, the student had the lesson plan down. ;)

Goal probably doesn't occur if Ekholm doesnt' abandon net front. Its funnier still because its what the team worked on through their long break.

Ekholm is great to have. Not saying otherwise. But the Viking got a little bloodlust last night too. Theres a lot of good with that, but he's not 100% the player that doesn't get distracted by it. Ek can lose his cool and focus at times.
That was actually Bouchard's man to pick up on the cross over when Ekholm stepped up. But tough read and react regardless at game speed.

The pairing has been tremendous. A massive, massive part has been a healthy Ekholm who bring certainty and stability to that pair's own zone defending. Add on hard, physical play style as well. It's a beautiful thing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That was actually Bouchard's man to pick up on the cross over when Ekholm stepped up. But tough read and react regardless at game speed.

The pairing has been tremendous. A massive, massive part has been a healthy Ekholm who bring certainty and stability to that pair's own zone defending. Add on hard, physical play style as well. It's a beautiful thing.
Yeah instead of switching Bouch got caught in no man’s land on the play. But like you said, tough play when it’s coming at you at speed like that. Was a textbook 2 on 2 by Minny

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Unless I'm mistaken the D don't have to crossover there just retain position. I'm seeing the play differently, not saying I'm right.

yeah, love the pairing though. Its the right pairing to stick with imo.

One thing is that Booch grabbed onto the bull so well that its pretty much doomed Brobergs chance of the same. I suspect they both ideally wanted Ekholm and Booch really activated in the spot. He grabbed the prize.

But at some point, perhaps not far away, D will be wanting to be with Bouchard. This is an allstar D. Sky is the limit if he keeps wanting to be better and I see the fire in him.

Reactions: nabob

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Unless I'm mistaken the D don't have to crossover there just retain position. I'm seeing the play differently, not saying I'm right.

yeah, love the pairing though. Its the right pairing to stick with imo.

One thing is that Booch grabbed onto the bull so well that its pretty much doomed Brobergs chance of the same. I suspect they both ideally wanted Ekholm and Booch really activated in the spot. He grabbed the prize.

But at some point, perhaps not far away, D will be wanting to be with Bouchard. This is an allstar D. Sky is the limit if he keeps wanting to be better and I see the fire in him.
No. Ekholm made an aggressive play to gap up his man near the blue line which is what they want. Bouchard got caught puck watching and as @nabob described in 'no man's land' instead of picking up the Wild player who gets a free pass into high danger kill zone.

Reactions: Aerchon and guymez

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No. Ekholm made an aggressive play to gap up his man near the blue line which is what they want. Bouchard got caught puck watching and as @nabob described in 'no man's land' instead of picking up the Wild player who gets a free pass into high danger kill zone.

Yeh Bouch lost his man there. Defensive break down for sure. He should have been in the eventual scorers grill right when Ekholm activated.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Personally, I'd phrase it the players as having responded and made the most of the opportunity this new coaching staff and its d-coach have provided. Coffey was a known entity to them and was a credible and importantly an available resource to them when this season was on the brink.

Despite poor options of a badly botched media conference this team's coaching staff and its d-coach has overcome reactive rush to judgement to stabilize this team and most importantly its own zone confidence and play. Coffey's been a vital cog within Knoblauch's leadership and Stuart shouldn't be overlooked for overseeing the incredible PK turnaround.

It's been interesting hearing and reading the d-corp's comments about working with Coffey and the many small details in how he's approached building up their confidence and cohesion as a group.
I think that the new coach bump has to be factored into this as well.
Sometimes a new voice (not necessarily a new message) combined with the embarrassment of having another coach fired is all that it takes for players to properly engage and pay more attention to detail.
This is especially true when there has been little to no practice time for the team which was the case prior to the recent 5 day break.

Not to take anything away form Knoblauch and to a lesser extent Coffey but its tempting to overstate the reason for the improved result.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm going by what the latest practice stay in the box emphasized. In that purview its not certain that Ekholm should be wanted to shift out of the box to take the man higher up. Its also not what I would want. Minny is not a threat to score from where Ekholm moved to, and he vacated the spot where Minny did score.

My comments are specific to team we're playing. Against Minny just put net front priority. This actually works against many teams that lack elite goal scorers that can score from range. I just don't see the need for Ekholm to activate there. That said I could be more zone than man to man in beliefs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thats an accurate take IMO.
I think that MacT perfectly described Bouchard between periods in last night game when he described his defensive game as being adequate.
He wasnt adequate on the play you referenced but if he can be adequate most nights that should be good enough considering what he produces offensively.
That IMO is why players like Ekholm are a perfect fit for Bouchard. If we really want to see all the flaws in Bouchards defensive game then pair him with Nurse.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Bouchard cost us a goal against. No question, his f up and I hope he owns it. Leanrs. Grows. Etc.

But he had 2 great goals and a helper... big picture as good a night as you should optimistically expect from Bouchard. More good than bad, even if the bad was... ugly.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah instead of switching Bouch got caught in no man’s land on the play. But like you said, tough play when it’s coming at you at speed like that. Was a textbook 2 on 2 by Minny
So I will state I seem to be wrong on this but could you explain why the need for activation there by Ekholm? I put priority on D positioning front of net against most opponents. I think that is most how you limit GA by keeping net front and not wandering out of it. That said I'm not a coach and never have been and haven't played the game in forever. 40yrs ago for the record. Back then D could barely skate backwards hehe

Clearly I'm not understanding this either. Good thing I'm not Booch. haha

As others have mentioned plays happen quickly. I don't think Boldy is a score threat from where Ekholm goes to cover, and he does that quickly, and before Booch spots the danger. I still wonder if both hang back its just a standard 2 on 2 and nothing bad happens.

This is just me. But if I'm a vet D I make the simple play there. Just stay in position, and don't assume the student D is going to make the right read there to cover player I vacated. Not sure if I'm explaining this adequately. Conservative play there is just to stay net front. Just contain net front area.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeh Bouch lost his man there. Defensive break down for sure. He should have been in the eventual scorers grill right when Ekholm activated.
Yup.
Bouchard still has much growing to do defensively and reading the play correctly is a major part of that growth. He should get better but as I said in another post because he is so good offensively he just has to be consistently adequate on defence.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think that the new coach bump has to be factored into this as well.
Sometimes a new voice (not necessarily a new message) combined with the embarrassment of having another coach fired is all that it takes for players to properly engage and pay more attention to detail.
This is especially true when there has been little to no practice time for the team which was the case prior to the recent 5 day break.

Not to take anything away form Knoblauch and to a lesser extent Coffey but its tempting to overstate the reason for the improved result.
I firmly believe in an 80/20 rule - players responsible and accountable for 80% of on-ice results, bad and good. Coaching has generally an approximate 20% in this high speed, collision sport. There's a positive new coach bump as usually happens. But other tangible positives like the PK I chose to mention. This team has also committed to better, more structured system play which helps out their second year goaltender.

Needless to say, there's also a lot of positive, anecdotal commentary from the d-corp players about how Coffey's approach is working for them individually and collectively. The reaction to his hire was way overblown and he's contributing to a coaching staff that's re-established buy-in to working harder and smarter with the long-held elusive goal to reduce goals against and not beat themselves. Knoblauch in particular communicates the very simple essence of this game which is easy for all to grasp. Coffey and all his staff are helping to give this team the belief, tools and support to execute.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yup.
Bouchard still has much growing to do defensively and reading the play correctly is a major part of that growth. He should get better but as I said in another post because he is so good offensively he just has to be consistently adequate on defence.

I lived with the occasional Drai no looker giveaway. I’m more than happy living with Bouchards warts if his vision continues to be all world.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I firmly believe in an 80/20 rule - players responsible and accountable for 80% of on-ice results, bad and good. Coaching has generally an approximate 20% in this high speed, collision sport. There's a positive new coach bump as usually happens. But other tangible positives like the PK I chose to mention. This team has also committed to better, more structured system play which helps out their second year goaltender.

Needless to say, there's also a lot of positive, anecdotal commentary from the d-corp players about how Coffey's approach is working for them individually and collectively. The reaction to his hire was way overblown and he's contributing to a coaching staff that's re-established buy-in to working harder and smarter with the long-held elusive goal to reduce goals against and not beat themselves. Knoblauch in particular communicates the very simple essence of this game which is easy for all to grasp. Coffey and all his staff are helping to give this team the belief, tools and support to execute.
I think that we actually agree here.
I am not trying to understate the impact of the new coaching additions.
We have already had a few exchanges about Knoblauch so you know that I am a big supporter of him getting this Head Coaching opportunity. I think that he is a very good coach.
I also like the high level of player communication (and an emphasis on activating offensively) that Coffey has brought to the table.

I am just saying that in light of the lack of practice opportunity prior to the recent break that the awakened player engagement falls mostly on them and not necessarily on any new messaging.
The new coaches have the players full attention even if the messaging is essentially the same as the messaging emphasized by previous coaching regime.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bouchard cost us a goal against. No question, his f up and I hope he owns it. Leanrs. Grows. Etc.

But he had 2 great goals and a helper... big picture as good a night as you should optimistically expect from Bouchard. More good than bad, even if the bad was... ugly.
Bouchard's been phenomenal. However he's still a younger player and continuing to build his 200 foot game. I wouldn't characterize that play as a f*** up but certainly a learning moment where he got caught slow in his read. It cost a goal but it will feed the player's memory bank as he continues to grow into a pretty high-end two way defensemen entering into peak performance years.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I lived with the occasional Drai no looker giveaway. I’m more than happy living with Bouchards warts if his vision continues to be all world.
Well...I would like to see a small improvement defensively in both players. More so with Bouchard.
Its not a big ask IMO.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well...I would like to see a small improvement defensively in both players. More so with Bouchard.
Its not a big ask IMO.
Yeh for sure. Luckily this new team defence and smart risk reward initiative by the new regime seems to have reduced alot of mistakes in general already, so we’re on the right path.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bouchard's been phenomenal. However he's still a younger player and continuing to build his 200 foot game. I wouldn't characterize that play as a f*** up but certainly a learning moment where he got caught slow in his read. It cost a goal but it will feed the player's memory bank as he continues to grow into a pretty high-end two way defensemen entering into peak performance years.
Everything looks easier in highlight because we spot the denoument, the result, the goal. That whole play happened in a second. Its one of the reasons why D need to be vocal with each other. To me Ekholm made the quick decision to cover Boldy, thus opening up the quick pass to the open scorer. I think if Booch even reacts there its too late. Again why not just both stay net front. Its just a two on two and not dangerous until netfront is vacated.

I'm absolving Booch there because that play happens fast, and by design. By design that offensive play is to get the D out of position. It worked.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
So I will state I seem to be wrong on this but could you explain why the need for activation there by Ekholm? I put priority on D positioning front of net against most opponents. I think that is most how you limit GA by keeping net front and not wandering out of it. That said I'm not a coach and never have been and haven't played the game in forever. 40yrs ago for the record. Back then D could barely skate backwards hehe

Clearly I'm not understanding this either. Good thing I'm not Booch. haha

As others have mentioned plays happen quickly. I don't think Boldy is a score threat from where Ekholm goes to cover, and he does that quickly, and before Booch spots the danger. I still wonder if both hang back its just a standard 2 on 2 and nothing bad happens.

This is just me. But if I'm a vet D I make the simple play there. Just stay in position, and don't assume the student D is going to make the right read there to cover player I vacated. Not sure if I'm explaining this adequately. Conservative play there is just to stay net front. Just contain net front area.
They want the defense to be aggressive versus passive. Ekholm made a smart play to gap up at the blue line which you want to see. Unfortunately Bouchard missed his coverage which led to the open man receiving a pass with a wide open kill shot. This defense doesn't want to passively give up the blue line and defend at net front if it doesn't have to (really no defense wants that). Just a learning moment for a young defender who hesitated and missed his assignment.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yeh for sure. Luckily this new team defence and smart risk reward initiative by the new regime seems to have reduced alot of mistakes in general already, so we’re on the right path.
Yeah...I get that sense too.
For me when I see this team consistently lock games down and not just cheat for offence all the time thats a sign that they are a legit contender.

More of a team game is what I am hoping to see and Knoblauch is already laying the foundation for that.
Just the ice time distribution and his insistence that bottom 6 players have a specific role (PK) have helped already IMO. When a team has the 2 best offensive weapons in the League if they can be used strategically instead of all out offence all the time that in and of itself makes this a much tougher team to play against.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Everything looks easier in highlight because we spot the denoument, the result, the goal. That whole play happened in a second. Its one of the reasons why D need to be vocal with each other. To me Ekholm made the quick decision to cover Boldy, thus opening up the quick pass to the open scorer. I think if Booch even reacts there its too late. Again why not just both stay net front. Its just a two on two and not dangerous until netfront is vacated.

I'm absolving Booch there because that play happens fast, and by design. By design that offensive play is to get the D out of position. It worked.
Of course it does. This is a high speed, collision sport. Why I usually post 'at game speed'. It is a game of mistakes because of the high speed, fast reaction time involved. On that goal unfortunately Bouchard's hesitation was exposed. I cut Bouchard huge swath as a young, developing defenseman. Feel free to absolve Bouchard but it was his guy in coverage which got the open, high danger look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad