Player Discussion Jason Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
I think Zucker will be spending this year as an injury call-up from Iowa. There is no room in our top 6, and he isn't really suited for a bottom 6 role.

Hopefully he can stay healthy and put up some decent stats in Iowa to build up his trade value. I don't see him ever being a regular on our team. If you look at the makeup of our roster and its direction going forward, he doesn't really fit on the team.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Not a terribly big fan of giving 1 way deals on the premise that he should be ready for next year. Make him earn his spot before he gets the 1 way deal.

With increased competition for playing time from Karanen, Mitchell, Brassart, etc. Make them earn the spot.

But what can you do.

Unless its over 925k you can still send him down teh second year with no cap hit.... just some incentive to sign the second year. No garentee of a NHL job.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Funny how last year in training camp Russo considered Zucker a 'lock to make the team' and guys like Nino, Coyle, Granlund, and Haula were all fighting for spots. Unless Zucker regressed I don't see why he couldn't earn himself a spot on the 3rd line with Haula and probably Nino this year.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I like certain things about zucker's game obviously his speed and shot are good. Yet I think he has a ways to go in his defensive responsibility, puck control and playmaking. I think he has a little to much rollerball in his game which is how he learned to play hockey...Its much more freewheeling and up tempo. Not to say that up tempo is at all bad or he can't learn the aforementioned skills but he still obviously has a ways to go. Keep in mind last year would have been his senior year at Denver. So for a guy drafted in the late 2nd rd we have to give a little way on his learning curve as most guys drafted in the late 2nd or 3rd rd and play college hockey usually stay all 4 yrs.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
I just think Zucker needs some polish to his game. Needs to work his butt off on his 2 way game and get stronger and smarter.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
IMO Zucker needs to add a few different elements to his game if he ever wants to find regular time with the Wild. The top 6 is packed and there is just no room for a one-dimensional scorer.

But he is fast and he is energetic. If he can add muscle and transform into an energy forward that strives on the forecheck and loves to shoot, he'll be a great match on a line with Erik Haula.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Praise-Koivu-Coyle
Poms-Grans-Vanek
Cooke-Holla-Nino
Fontaine-Brodziak-?

Seems to be our forward lineup right now I wouldn't mind if Zucker goes back to the ahl for a while, rehab and help out the kids. However he is a kid too but he needs playing time. You really never really know injuires happen and its good to have depth. Super happy with the contract.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Zucker can only play his way to the bottom 6 basicly. The top 6 is locked up.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Not necessarily it depends on match ups (per team) But yes top 6 is secured thank you GMCF. Injuires happen... cross one finger

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Unless its over 925k you can still send him down teh second year with no cap hit.... just some incentive to sign the second year. No garentee of a NHL job.

I know that, and i'm pretty sure most people that spend most of their day on hockey message boards know that.

The Wild rarely bury one way deals. It gives him a leg up, he probably doesn't deserve.

Say him and Karanen are competing for a spot next year, and Karanen looks a bit better. But Karanen is on a two way. You can bet its Karanen going to the AHL and not Zucker's one way deal. It would require someone's game blowing Zucker's out of the water for Zucker to not make the team basically next year, regardless of if he's the best player for the job.

Saying he's not "guarenteed" a roster spot is technically true, but in all practicality a 1 way deal is giving him a roster spot next year.

DrPP

Oct 21, 2009
I know that, and i'm pretty sure most people that spend most of their day on hockey message boards know that.

The Wild rarely bury one way deals. It gives him a leg up, he probably doesn't deserve.

Say him and Karanen are competing for a spot next year, and Karanen looks a bit better. But Karanen is on a two way. You can bet its Karanen going to the AHL and not Zucker's one way deal. It would require someone's game blowing Zucker's out of the water for Zucker to not make the team basically next year, regardless of if he's the best player for the job.

Saying he's not "guarenteed" a roster spot is technically true, but in all practicality a 1 way deal is giving him a roster spot next year.

Or he'll be dealt in a trade.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't want him to be the first call up this year. I want him to get several months of consistent hockey under his belt. He spent the first half of last year shuttling up and down 35 and missed the second half with a knee injury.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If he can't crack the NHL with us, i'm sure teams will be jumping at the chance to trade for an AHLer on a 1 way contract.

If zucker can't crack our T6 yes some teams will want him in a trade, its not like our t6 is easy to crack...

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

That one way deal didn't help Dowell. If Keranen is better, he'll get the spot.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Too much is made about his need for an "overall" game, especially since since he's a wing, not a center. If he's creating offense, he'll find his spot in the lineup.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Too much is made about his need for an "overall" game, especially since since he's a wing, not a center. If he's creating offense, he'll find his spot in the lineup.

You can't have forwards in your line-up who don't know how to defend. The level of game is just too high today. There is only handful players who get away being bad defensively and all of them are elite offensive talents. Zucker is not elite talent. That's why players like Conacher etc who seem "dynamic" and score points are still on the waiver list.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You can't have forwards in your line-up who don't know how to defend. The level of game is just too high today. There is only handful players who get away being bad defensively and all of them are elite offensive talents. Zucker is not elite talent. That's why players like Conacher etc who seem "dynamic" and score points are still on the waiver list.

That's fine, but I disagree with him "not knowing how to defend". He's probably slightly below average, so if brings it up to 'average' and produces offensively, he'll be fine.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The "Zucker can't defend" argument is way overblown. Yeo demanded more of him, but that doesn't mean Zucker couldn't play on the 3rd line as soon as this year.

What Russo says is not gospel. He's a damn good beat writer, but he is wrong many times. I mean, just last off-season, he didn't think Granlund could play in the NHL and Nino was Iowa bound.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
by low balling zucker we end up with another clutterbuck situation. the last year he was here he didnt seem happy. i think CF made a mistake only offering zucker 900k if thats accurate.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
by low balling zucker we end up with another clutterbuck situation. the last year he was here he didnt seem happy. i think CF made a mistake only offering zucker 900k if thats accurate.

Zucker hasn't earned anything. There was no "low-balling" here.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
My memory is that it was a positive things that Clutterbuck demanded a lot of money, which caused us to ship him out for Nino.

J22*

The fact that Zucker would have to clear waivers to be sent down in 15-16 would be a much bigger factor in your scenario than a one-way contract. The reality is that Zucker would have to completely fall off of the map for there to be any chance of him being in Iowa for 15-16.

I'm not sure you understand the term "lowballing" because this contract isn't even close to that. I'm also not sure what you mean with the "Clutterbuck Situation". Clutterbuck was never unhappy here, he was traded because Fletcher got insane value for him.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
The "Zucker can't defend" argument is way overblown. Yeo demanded more of him, but that doesn't mean Zucker couldn't play on the 3rd line as soon as this year.

What Russo says is not gospel. He's a damn good beat writer, but he is wrong many times. I mean, just last off-season, he didn't think Granlund could play in the NHL and Nino was Iowa bound.

Thank you.

Zucker is a player with a lot of character, former team USA captain. His overall game ain't as bad as it is purported to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad