Injury Report: Jason Zucker likely out for the season

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
i hope that zucker tweet was just him expressing great disappointment in reinjuring his knee and not, as Russo seemed to think, indicating there was a massive problem with it. Didn't Bombardir get a knee injury they couldn't fix?

What tweet are you talking about?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Have a feeling he won't be with the team next year TBH. If another team can offer him a deal that is 1-way, I just don't see how the Wild match it.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
This really sucks for Zucker, particularly considering he's up for a new contract this offseason and will probably stand to lose a big chunk of money by not finishing out this season.

If there's a silver lining, it's that he probably won't get traded this year.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
He'll make a full recovery, and will become a better player and person for it.

I just hope Fletcher doesn't try to use this as an excuse to push a 2-way contract on him when hes already more than paid his dues, i could see him wanting to leave for it. Give the guy his 1-way, hes apart of this team now, deal with it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I just hope Fletcher doesn't try to use this as an excuse to push a 2-way contract on him when hes already more than paid his dues, i could see him wanting to leave for it. Give the guy his 1-way, hes apart of this team now, deal with it.

I don't think he's as much a part of this team as you feel he is. I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded when healthy.

Billy Mays Here*

Oh so a guy who can't beat out any of our other young guys and gets constantly moved back down to Iowa is a part of the team now is he? He'll be traded. . . . only a matter of time.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
A two-way contract might be a better fit for Zucker when considering development. It would be a shame losing him or restricting his playing time due to waivers.

OpRedDawn*

if there's one thing the wild need less of, it's speedy, shoot first guys

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A two-way contract might be a better fit for Zucker when considering development. It would be a shame losing him or restricting his playing time due to waivers.

FYI - 1 way/2 way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. That only decides salary when playing in the minors.

Waivers is based on age/games played. You are either waiver eligible or not. Nothing to do with your contract.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
FYI - 1 way/2 way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. That only decides salary when playing in the minors.

Waivers is based on age/games played. You are either waiver eligible or not. Nothing to do with your contract.

Oh, for some reason I thought it had some influence on waiver eligibility. Thanks for the info!

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Oh so a guy who can't beat out any of our other young guys and gets constantly moved back down to Iowa is a part of the team now is he? He'll be traded. . . . only a matter of time.

The problem isn't "he cant beat out any of the other young guys" its because Yeo is our coach... and he respects Heatley too much to bench him, that's just fact at this point.

Zucker would be a starter on this team had Heater not been injured so we could not buy him out, Yeo basically said that today in Russo's blog that this injury is what was holding him back when he mentioned that Zucker was finding his role before the injury, so there's also that.

Hes the odd man out because of Yeo & Heatley, Bottom line period. I just hope he gets out of this "this is career ending, what do i do?" mindset of this injury, that will not help at all.

I hope he reaches out to Adrian Peterson or someone of a similar situation so AP/Whoever can directly tell him that ur limit is only as high as you make it, and i believe Zucker is the kind of guy to push what he believes is his limit.

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Seriously? I mean, I really like the guy, but he doesn't deserve ****.

How so? he was just as dominate of player in the AHL as Coyle or Granlund... Only Fault of his is he wasn't a center or big body winger (which Yeo Values Highly.)

The way i see it, hes a starter on any NHL team that lacks natural scoring winger depth... Sounds alot like us, all the time. Remove Heatley from this roster and leaves a spot for Zucker/Haula which is an awesome battle situation to have, but because of Yeo... we get Heatley.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Remove Heatley... add Vanek... Haula gets the 3rd line center spot, Coyle on wing along with Nino...

Zucker doesn't fit.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Remove Heatley... add Vanek... Haula gets the 3rd line center spot, Coyle on wing along with Nino...

Zucker doesn't fit.

Not too long ago i would agree with you, but i think im starting to shift my opinion and hope we decide to spend that money elsewhere, cause lets face it hes gonna get paid either handsomely, or decently...

do you want a 5-7 year, getting slower and worse every year vanek?

or a potential prime Zucker who can be a speedy two-way threat who pots 20-30 goals?

Im personally starting to lean towards the latter, but either way i guess its not necessarily a bad thing.

If we trade Zucker we hopefully get a decent return + Vanek or we don't sign Vanek and use that money torwards Moulson/better free agent or not, and keep Zucker. You can't say for certain Vanek or Moulson will be here next year, however you can say that is a far better chance Zucker will be than either of these 2 at this point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'd rather have Vanek... he's a proven goal scorer in the NHL that has never failed to put up 25+ goals every year he's ever played in this league.

Zucker... MIGHT one day become a 20 goal scorer, but he has not shown he can consistently get those prime chances at the NHL level as of yet.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Don't get me wrong, I really like Zucker and the different skillset he brings to the table (at least compared to the other young players we have). At the same time, he hasn't proven much of anything yet.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I'd rather have Vanek... he's a proven goal scorer in the NHL that has never failed to put up 25+ goals every year he's ever played in this league.

Zucker... MIGHT one day become a 20 goal scorer, but he has not shown he can consistently get those prime chances at the NHL level as of yet.

And Vanek MIGHT sign with us, and MIGHT be a 25 goal scorer for us, but again you can't say for certain... and not to say that this is all that matters, but Zucker is alot younger with alot of Veteran leadership/Young competition to keep him growing as a player every day.

Fans at one point thought granlund was not going to be as successful as he was this year... his 2nd year... Yea they are completely different players, but the point remains the same... with patience, young guns come in and fill major roles that Cup contending teams win with all the time.

He's fast, hes naturally a goal scorer, he pushes competition for every young guy in this line up, and continues to work on his weakest part of his game.

Why would you want to spend 6+ million for 5-7 years for a hopeful 60+ points winger that has major baggage if he does not pan out? and get rid of a young potential 50+pts, faster and younger player with no baggage at all but his development?

The only answer i come back too is our "window" to win it all. Now i don't completely believe in the "window" concept, but i tend to use it as a guide line at this point(lol sound like yeo) and i can see the argument from this side too.

its splitting hairs imo, but i personally like the fact that Zucker has no baggage/no risk with keeping him, compared to Vanek who i can see having a problem with if he does not pan out + if we are forced to pay high on him.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
You obviously have a lot more faith in Zucker's progression than I do.

For the record, I was never down on Granlund like many were... he has a hockey IQ that would not allow him to fail. I have never seen that in Zucker. I have also never seen this two way player many screamed he would be either... he's only been a liability defensively in my eyes at the NHL level.

As for Vanek... not sure how you can say he might not pan out. The guy is an elite NHL level proven sniper. He WILL score goals wherever he plays.

Also, if Vanek doesn't sign, obviously Zucker is less likely traded. If Vanek signs here, Zucker is all but gone.

Vanek would be MUCH LESS of a risk on the roster than Zucker IMO. Vanek as I have pointed out is a proven sniper that you know will pot 25+ goals minimum. Zucker... if you count on him... can he even reach 15?!

Zucker... in 47 career NHL games split over 3 seasons has 8 goals, 4 assists for 12pts.

Vanek in a lockout shortened season had 20 goals in 38 games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad