Injury Report: Jason Pominville (5/7/13 Update: He's Back!)

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Well then I think the single best option then would be to eliminate the instigator penalty and allow the offender to be dragged, kicking and screaming into a fight with an enforcer who probably knows a lot more about fighting than he does.

Then throw him out of the game and hit him with a 10 game suspension, minimum.

Seriously, 1, 2 game suspensions just will not get a message across. The league was trying to say something and give its discipline department some teeth with the suspensions to Cooke and Torres. Then they lost teeth when they backed down.

Intentional headshot should be an automatic 10 gamer even for first offenders. If its an accident, then it could be in the single digits. but if there appears to be intent, 10 games should be the bare minimum.

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
Well then I think the single best option then would be to eliminate the instigator penalty and allow the offender to be dragged, kicking and screaming into a fight with an enforcer who probably knows a lot more about fighting than he does.

Then throw him out of the game and hit him with a 10 game suspension, minimum.

Seriously, 1, 2 game suspensions just will not get a message across. The league was trying to say something and give its discipline department some teeth with the suspensions to Cooke and Torres. Then they lost teeth when they backed down.

Intentional headshot should be an automatic 10 gamer even for first offenders. If its an accident, then it could be in the single digits. but if there appears to be intent, 10 games should be the bare minimum.

Honestly, if you make it 10 games, it needs to be 10 games whether it's accidental or not. Just about every high sticking penalty is accidental, but it doesn't matter. The best way to curb hits to the head is to always have guys thinking about the consequences when they go to hit someone.

Phant03

Jan 18, 2013
The problem is they aren't thinking about it and there's not a suspension under the sun that is going to make them.

Besides, it is obviously more about dollars than it is players.

TFreeman451

Feb 24, 2013
Arkansas
What do you do with him this summer?

Sign him to a long-term deal and hope the concussion doesn't impact his health and game going forward?

Wait until the season starts and roll the dice that he might not re-sign?

So he's at two in a few years right? I don't think that's much higher than any other players. I still say sign him to a long-term deal and hope for the best.

Regarding suspensions, there will never be a point where both teams will be happy with the end results. If you really want to send a message it is to take a significant draft pick from a team. There is some big time flaws and discussion to be worked out in this approach. But if the league is seeing multiple players from the same team in a season performing questionable hits resulting in suspensions, him them with a penalty of losing their 2nd or 3rd round pick. I'll bet the GM steps in real quick after that

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
No, we can deter the intentional stuff which will cut the rate down a bit and eliminate head hunters like torres from the game.

Accidental stuff will always happen, however. That's just the nature of sports where there is contact with another person.

Dudicles

Oct 1, 2010
No, we can deter the intentional stuff which will cut the rate down a bit and eliminate head hunters like torres from the game.

Accidental stuff will always happen, however. That's just the nature of sports where there is contact with another person.

The only problem is that if you differentiate between intentional or accidental, you're giving someone the option of "deciding" a star player's hit was accidental, even if it wasn't.

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
The only problem is that if you differentiate between intentional or accidental, you're giving someone the option of "deciding" a star player's hit was accidental, even if it wasn't.

Truth, and a Matt Cooke comes to mind with his "accidental" slicing of Karlsson's Achilles.

Last edited:

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
While I don't think the absence of Pominville is the reason the Wild would lose a series to Chicago, man he's missed. I'm still to this day not the biggest fan of that trade, but he's a very good player, and I look forward to him getting healthy and being a very good player for us for a number of years to come.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
Buffalo fan here, any update on pominville, I also wasnt a fan of the trade but for other reason, I like pommers. hope he recovers and I hope the wild win this series. go wild go

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Buffalo fan here, any update on pominville, I also wasnt a fan of the trade but for other reason, I like pommers. hope he recovers and I hope the wild win this series. go wild go

He had a full practice before the playoffs started and apparently looked great, but woke up in the morning not feeling well at all and has not practiced since.

That's all we've heard. Hopefully he'll start to practice soon, but we have not really heard much if anything at all.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
He had a full practice before the playoffs started and apparently looked great, but woke up in the morning not feeling well at all and has not practiced since.

That's all we've heard. Hopefully he'll start to practice soon, but we have not really heard much if anything at all.

Wild didnt have him before and were in the playoffs so they can do it without him. please beat the hawks. you have a sabres fan that lives in Vancouver cheering for the wild. that's how hockey works sometime. I'd be more happy the wild winning than canucks vs sanjose

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Wild didnt have him before and were in the playoffs so they can do it without him. please beat the hawks. you have a sabres fan that lives in Vancouver cheering for the wild. that's how hockey works sometime. I'd be more happy the wild winning than canucks vs sanjose

Thanks! :)

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Would love to see him back on that line with Brodz and Butch. But if we get hot again I would almost say don't kajigger with the lineup unless someone's busted like Rupp is now.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I think Pom is still a ways out. It was bad news when he woke up with those symptoms last week. This team has had to deal with enough long term concussions that chances are they'll play it unbelievably safe with him. While he is desperately needed this postseason, it'd be silly to risk him developing bigger problems that could affect him next season.

Billy Mays Here*

No way he comes back for game 4 or 5. Maybe there's a chance he comes back for game 7 if there is one, but I highly doubt it. I think he's done for the playoffs.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I'm excited as **** about him coming back.

And it's absolutely fantastic that he's becoming more healthy. Great for him and his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad