Waived: Jaroslav Halak (upd: clears)

ginnungagap

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
It wouldn't be immediately- but I don't think Halak is going anywhere anytime soon anyway. If things are still chugging along like this closer to the deadline though I could see Detroit moving Howard out for Halak+. The plus would have to be something fairly decent or that could be the starting point of a bigger deal.

The Islanders and Red Wings are two clubs that have to find ways to right the ship. There's some nice pieces on both teams but (whether or not either is the right long-term choice) Detroit wants to get back into the playoffs for their new arena and NYI is feeling some pressure to look like a winner before Tavares gets to free agency. Howard would have to come back from injury and pick up where he left off- but the changes he's made to his game seem legit. Halak isn't a starter but he might be a good cushion for Mrazek. Could potentially be a win-win and the rare hockey trade between two teams in kinda similar straits?

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
at some point Snow may bring him back up and then He would have to clear re entry waivers...Islanders would be on hook for half of remaining contract I believe.

Perhaps Flames will chase Bishop .

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
at some point Snow may bring him back up and then He would have to clear re entry waivers...Islanders would be on hook for half of remaining contract I believe.

Perhaps Flames will chase Bishop .

Um - there are no more re-entry waivers. That went out with the last CBA.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Wonder if he gets moved in salary dump type deal.

Can't understand why something with WPG can't be worked out...

Halak (~7.5mil through next year) for Pavlec (~2mil left this year)

or

Halak (~7.5mil through next year) for Hutchinson (~2mil left through next year)

Winnipeg can platoon Halak and Hellebuyck through next year.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He's still getting paid 4.5 million dollars, I'm sure he'll be fine. He will probably get called up in the next two-three weeks

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Honest question, where is this stuff that he has a bad attitude coming from? I always remembered him being the silent and very humble type of player during his Hamilton Bulldogs and Habs days. He would always say the right things and seemed like a very likeable person. I just remember two incident one where he was asking Ken Hitchcock to play him during the playoffs when he came back from injuries and more recently him not being happy with the 3 goalies system.

Is that it or did I miss something?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Not overly shocking. Wonder if he reports / stays, he certainly has enough reasons to do so.

maybe there can be a gentlemans agreement to stay away from the team while snow trys to trade him in a more aggressive manner than prior to waiving him .

i.e - eating 5o% or taking back a contract equal to it

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Can't understand why something with WPG can't be worked out...

Halak (~7.5mil through next year) for Pavlec (~2mil left this year)

or

Halak (~7.5mil through next year) for Hutchinson (~2mil left through next year)

Winnipeg can platoon Halak and Hellebuyck through next year.

Because that leaves the isles with a 3 headed goalie circus all over again.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Honest question, where is this stuff that he has a bad attitude coming from? I always remembered him being the silent and very humble type of player during his Hamilton Bulldogs and Habs days. He would always say the right things and seemed like a very likeable person. I just remember two incident one where he was asking Ken Hitchcock to play him during the playoffs when he came back from injuries and more recently him not being happy with the 3 goalies system.

everything seemed fine until berube became a distraction .

once halak put in the performance at the WC you'd think berube would have been shopped or eventually waived but snows the smartest guy in the room so .....

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008

I agree with your take on Halak. He is a really nice softspoken guy with a good attitude as far as I can remember too. I've always liked him. His douchenozzle of an agent on the other hand.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
everything seemed fine until berube became a distraction .

once halak put in the performance at the WC you'd think berube would have been shopped or eventually waived but snows the smartest guy in the room so .....

No, Greiss could still perform in the same situation.

I'm sure Halak has groin trouble again. Not fit enough to do the job. Berube was only there because Halak can't do his job.

Of course he was misused this season when people should know his history. But he complained and they showed him what he's capable of. That's why nobody wanted him. If he had performed same good as in the wcoh he would have been taken.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
He's still a decent starter. Had a couple bad games, but imo doesn't warrant him getting sent down. To me this is more of a retalliation from Garth.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
He's still a decent starter. Had a couple bad games, but imo doesn't warrant him getting sent down. To me this is more of a retalliation from Garth.

No, he's not a atarter. Halak can't handle the workload.

Of course retalliation. Snow is a ******* and he run him down to show what Halak is capable of. Halak was so bad that nobody wanted him. And this ******* played Halak even when everybody should know that there are less chances to win games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad