Waived: Jaroslav Halak (upd: clears)

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
No, he's not a atarter. Halak can't handle the workload.

Of course retalliation. Snow is a ******* and he run him down to show what Halak is capable of. Halak was so bad that nobody wanted him. And this ******* played Halak even when everybody should know that there are less chances to win games.

i think the issue is no one wants him with his contract

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
i think the issue is no one wants him with his contract

Of course, Halak should be good enough to be a backup, but for backup money, not 4.5M.

Problem is, Halak isn't good when playing cold and Snow didn't use him in a backup role for other reasons.

I think Halak is buried in the A for the season.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm sure Snow tried to move him after the WC when his value was highest. What happened next was mostly on Halak. The 3 goalie situation wasn't fair, but he was given plenty of opportunity to run with the starter job (making Greiss and Berube deal with the lack of playing time). Not only did he fail at it, but Greiss excelled making him even more expendable. All he had to do was show up and do his job adequately.

While I do not blame him for rejecting the situation he was put in, his performance was 100 percent on himself.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Could they attach him to Pulock and trade him to Toronto or Winnipeg? Maybe for like a 3rd?

Leafs would need to move salary in the deal still. Plus Andersen will get the bulk of starts with Babcock and Halak was already vocal about not liking the 3 goalie system...

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
He's still getting paid 4.5 million dollars, I'm sure he'll be fine. He will probably get called up in the next two-three weeks

He'll have a higher take-home pay as he will not have to pay escrow in the AHL.

However, the income tax is 0,25% higher in Connecticut (6,7%) than in NY State (6,45%) if my sources are trustworthy.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Because that leaves the isles with a 3 headed goalie circus all over again.

Pshaw... this three headed goalie thing is overblown. Halak is in the minors right now. Making such a trade would mean the Isles still put someone in the minors; but for a lot less money. Or, trade the third goalie to anyone who needs a warm body. It's a business trade.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I wonder if Burmistrov being waived has anything to do with this. We need help at G.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It would depend on the Islanders retaining salary. If they retain a fair amount, he has some value for sure.

There is no use for the Islanders to retain salary at this point in time, they would be better off waiting till to off season and see if anybody wants a goalie on a 1 year deal.

Halak's value increase the less time is left on that deal or if a team gets in goalie issues and needs somebody they feel can be a #1 goalie before the deadline

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
I know this would not happen, but I wonder what would happen if Pens picked him up for the playoff run. He does have an insane record against King Henrik and every rejected players goes to Pens has turn out to be gold for them in the post season so he may have a resurgence in the 2nd half and play like what he did in the World Cup this fall. Given a very high chance that Pens will meet Rags in the first round and a final chance to win the SC with a true contender may motivate him to play at the top of his games.

Pens will need to trade Fleury to another team though and most likely will not succeed. Would Snow trade him to Pens and retain some salary? Would depend on if a decent prospect or pick coming back. Both Rags and Pens are divisional rivals but Rags are the biggest one. Also Snow has traded with Flyers before so this is a possibility. Of course Pens do not need him that badly but just an interesting thought.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad