Jaroslav Halak and Chad Johnson

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Again just like last year we are right in the middle of the pack in shots against per games and right near the bottom of goals against per game. I'm tired of hearing how we are giving up more grade A shots, that's B/S. Goaltending has not been any better than last season so far. It's only been 10 games so I'm not panicking but between the two of the one better step up his game.

kk

diehard NYI/WPG fan
Jun 29, 2007
Taiwan (from Manitoba)
I'm slightly concerned about our goaltending, but not at the panic stage. I really hope they roll full-time with Halak and try and get him into a groove. Chad Johnson was/is an interesting pickup for backup duties for this year, maybe more, but I am of the opinion his stats are skewed as he played in front of a solid Boston D last year.

Give Halak the net, let's get this going.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Now tied @ 36 with PHI, BUF AND EDM for worst Goals Against in the league, not a group of teams I want the Isles to be comparable to on any statistical basis.

camper*

That takes time. I said it then and will say again, new defensemen and goaltenders means communication and familiarity need to be established. However, they are doing worse than they should on defense, and personnel choices figure highly into this, both on the coaching and GM level.

Yup, need size. Notice how the "You don't need size" banter has dried up and blown away. Every big team gave us problems. Even the Carolina sweep... they were missing too many to make them relevant to the discussion.

This club as currently composed is not going to compete well with big clubs. Prepare for some *** woopins.

Except?...they have the personel.....yet cannot see past an AHL stlye of play?
"This club as currently composed is not going to compete well with big clubs. Prepare for some *** woopins.[/QUOTE]":nod:

Use your big bad dogs...you win!...Do not spot duty? we have discussed this many times before(past) using certain individuals (10min toi) gives the bad guys too much time to roam......Using certain individuals (18-22 min toi or more)gives the bad guys too much time to roam!

14mins toi for #17 is and always has been a design for WIN...using the top line (only)18 mins has always been a design for WIN:nod:
Double shifting individuals just to get offence when they were the cause for digging a hole..is and has been design to losing? YO-YO hockey;)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Except?...they have the personel.....yet cannot see past an AHL stlye of play?
"This club as currently composed is not going to compete well with big clubs.

Use your big bad dogs...you win!...Do not spot duty? we have discussed this many times before(past) using certain individuals (10min toi) gives the bad guys too much time to roam......Using certain individuals (18-22 min toi or more)gives the bad guys too much time to roam!

14mins toi for #17 is and always has been a design for WIN...using the top line (only)18 mins has always been a design for WIN:nod:
Double shifting individuals just to get offence when they were the cause for digging a hole..is and has been design to losing? YO-YO hockey;)

It looks like they are trying to shift some of the physical element between lines now. They should have done that earlier. For some reason when they designed their lines as 1 all offense, 2 offense & defense, and one energy/checking I think they missed on the concept that they needed more physical play. In the end they've gravitated back to 2 scoring/2 checking? Maybe they just need some bigger bodies who don't play like Marys on ALL the lines. Hearing that Snow wanted Iggy in the offseason I think he is thinking the same thing with the first unit in mind.

camper*

It looks like they are trying to shift some of the physical element between lines now. They should have done that earlier. For some reason when they designed their lines as 1 all offense, 2 offense & defense, and one energy/checking I think they missed on the concept that they needed more physical play. In the end they've gravitated back to 2 scoring/2 checking? Maybe they just need some bigger bodies who don't play like Marys on ALL the lines. Hearing that Snow wanted Iggy in the offseason I think he is thinking the same thing with the first unit in mind.

Remember what I am telling you(FRIEND)..time will tell....when FA comes around you will see the number of teams that bid for #17....they know what he is capable of.......when he in scoring 20 a season for fun..i will be doing:nod: Just because;)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Remember what I am telling you(FRIEND)..time will tell....when FA comes around you will see the number of teams that bid for #17....they know what he is capable of.......when he in scoring 20 a season for fun..i will be doing:nod: Just because;)

I think they will try to retain him. Unless you are suggesting they will go all Marysville. That would be tragic, and very very Wang. I would be pretty PO'd.

Let's see how him with Strome works out. The brief window last year when they were together with CMac was encouraging for both players.

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Apparently, Halak has a personal goalie coach that the Isles hired that will be on the road to help Jaro iron some things out. Nice to see that hes working on some of the rusty areas in his game. Sets a good example. What happened to Mike Dunham?

Last edited:

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Apparently, Halak has a personal goalie coach that the Isles hired that will be on the road to help Jaro iron some things out. Nice to see that hes working on some of the rusty areas in his game. Sets a good example. What happened to Mike Dunham?

Where'd you see this?

Hyphistos

Jul 16, 2012
Vienna

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Don't know if it was brought up already in another discussion, but I found the chart from the Super 16 on nhl.com about shot distances compared to other goalies in the metro division quite interesting and wanted to share it (it was obviously before the LA game):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=738053&navid=nhl:topheads

Here is the link directly to the image:
http://1.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upload/2014/11/TIGHTENUP_SMALLER_NYI_SUP3.jpg

That is interesting, never seen a chart for average shot distances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad