Jaroslav Halak and Chad Johnson

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Interesting career stat on Jaro:
@GreenLanternJet: REPEAT: Halak is .902 in Oct., .940 in April. Nothing lower than .914 in between. His career suggests he'll be OK #Isles

I was wondering if he was a slow starter possibly, Lundqvist is notoriously a slow starter as well and almost always plays poorly the first 8 weeks.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
I was wondering if he was a slow starter possibly, Lundqvist is notoriously a slow starter as well and almost always plays poorly the first 8 weeks.

Yes Hank can be a slow starter, but Halak is just inconsistent and always has been. Not even on the same level has Hank. I still think he is better than we had and he will probably put together some great stretches of play, but don't expect a lot of consistency from him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I refuse to be critical of the goaltending when our neutral zone play progressively gets worse as the game goes on.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I refuse to be critical of the goaltending when our neutral zone play progressively gets worse as the game goes on.

That's all good and fine, but you CAN'T keep giving up 1-3 bad goals a game. It just makes the game impossible to play. Also, a goalie needs to make the routine saves, AND some BIG saves as well. Halak flubs many routine plays, and throws in some big saves once in a while.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's all good and fine, but you CAN'T keep giving up 1-3 bad goals a game. It just makes the game impossible to play. Also, a goalie needs to make the routine saves, AND some BIG saves as well. Halak flubs many routine plays, and throws in some big saves once in a while.

But you CAN'T keeping giving up 1-3 good scoring chances a shift. It just makes the goaltending position impossible to play. ;)

There's always another side on things Scott. I get your frustration regarding Halak, but Okposo can't turn that puck over last night, and we can't let Paul ****ing Postma skate like wind through the neutral zone either.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
But you CAN'T keeping giving up 1-3 good scoring chances a shift. It just makes the goaltending position impossible to play. ;)

There's always another side on things Scott. I get your frustration regarding Halak, but Okposo can't turn that puck over last night, and we can't let Paul ****ing Postma skate like wind through the neutral zone either.

True, but on the game winner, Halak might as well have handed the puck over by hand, the rebound was so big.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
True, but on the game winner, Halak might as well have handed the puck over by hand, the rebound was so big.

Not that I'm a NHL goalie BUT that shot wasn't near his stick exactly. It's very hard to deflect the rebound perfectly into the boards (which is what he needed to do since KO wasn't skating) in order to stop the goal.

He's been a NHL starter everywhere in his career. Let's not run him out of town yet. He gets a shutout tomorrow and everyone says he should get the Vezina.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Not that I'm a NHL goalie BUT that shot wasn't near his stick exactly. It's very hard to deflect the rebound perfectly into the boards (which is what he needed to do since KO wasn't skating) in order to stop the goal.

He's been a NHL starter everywhere in his career. Let's not run him out of town yet. He gets a shutout tomorrow and everyone says he should get the Vezina.

So many people have been blaming that goal on Halak and it's absurd. It's low and hard...the shooter is looking for that to happen, because there's nothing to do about it as a goalie other than kick it out. Okposo or Conacher have to be on that late player coming in.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
So many people have been blaming that goal on Halak and it's absurd. It's low and hard...the shooter is looking for that to happen, because there's nothing to do about it as a goalie other than kick it out. Okposo or Conacher have to be on that late player coming in.

Blame Okposo more for the turnover than the back check. Even on the turnover, he was trying to keep the puck in among a swarm of Jets. Okposo was in good position on Ladd, only way Ladd scores that goal is if the puck is passed or rebounded directly to his stick blade. There's plenty of shared blame on that goal, but sometimes the other team just makes a nice play and scores a goal....I know, hard to believe.

That's the goal I have no issues with Halak on.... the other three? (I don't want to hear about 2 of them being powerplay goals, that's not an excuse. They were bad goals (the other three).

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Blame Okposo more for the turnover than the back check. Even on the turnover, he was trying to keep the puck in among a swarm of Jets. Okposo was in good position on Ladd, only way Ladd scores that goal is if the puck is passed or rebounded directly to his stick blade. There's plenty of shared blame on that goal, but sometimes the other team just makes a nice play and scores a goal....I know, hard to believe.

That's the goal I have no issues with Halak on.... the other three? (I don't want to hear about 2 of them being powerplay goals, that's not an excuse. They were bad goals (the other three).

We're in agreement about the 4th goal being a good play by the Jets. Just smart hockey right there.

The one that snuck in on the post was bad. I didn't like what Strait did on one of the goals, can't remember which one. He just threw the puck back behind the net and gave it right back to the Jets.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
The one that snuck in on the post was bad.

I didn't like what Strait did on one of the goals, can't remember which one. He just threw the puck back behind the net and gave it right back to the Jets.

that is the same goal.... straits Pejorative Sluro puck hack and halak sitting there watching jets whack his pad until the puck hops over his pad into the net

[NHL]http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014020125-233-h[/NHL]

Last edited:

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
We're in agreement about the 4th goal being a good play by the Jets. Just smart hockey right there.

The one that snuck in on the post was bad. I didn't like what Strait did on one of the goals, can't remember which one. He just threw the puck back behind the net and gave it right back to the Jets.

Yes, shooting far side low to force a rebound is a smart hockey play...not disagreeing with you at all and honestly I wish the isles would do that more often. If they have no shot they're more content to shoot at the goalies chest or try to pick corners and miss the net. I know it's never a bad play to throw it on net, but be smart about it. Just shoot low far side. That goal is not one I am calling soft, but I knew that a goal like that was a long time coming because lets be honest, Halak's rebound control isn't exactly the best. He coughs up juicy ones multiple times a game but in a lot of cases he just seems to catch a break and a player wiffs or shoots it wide.
Now, the 2nd and 3rd goals....totally different story. Those are of the 16 Handles variety...waaaaay soft, especially that 2nd goal. You don't see goals like that go in with a lot of frequency against the same goalie, and we've seen it happen to Halak twice in the last 4 starts I believe.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Last place I am going to be on this planet is a Rags fan ball licker!
I have been an Islanders die hard fan for 35 years, so I would appreciate you not being such an ass towards someone new to the board. Sorry if I am not in your league of posts boss! I was just stating a fact on my statement not being a Rags fan!

Yes, definitely a Ranger fan :sarcasm:

Jk, welcome to the board

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think it can be posited to see the advantage the "Charro" tandem has over Nabby/Poulin.

Nabby was already far too old, but he was the most experience we had, and losing so many games late shows it. Miss the guy's attitude, but it's time to move on. Poulin and Nilsson, too young.

Subtract Snow from it, and it's obvious the team addressed one of it's biggest needs (goaltending), while not overpaying for another (defense - it still needs help, but we have more options and depth this year, if anything), while allowing for competition to determine the third (#1LW, be it Nelson, Lee, or otherwise.)

Back on topic, the goaltending improved. What argument can you make that Charro < Nabokov/Poulin/Nilsson? I'm not trying to be mean, but I'll never turn down a good laugh, if you want to try. :laugh:

Now after 10 games let me give you a hint.
Halak in his first 6 games .889
Johnson in his first 4 started games .864

Last season
Nabokov in his first 6 games .925
Poulin in his first 4 games .918
and this without Boychuk, Leddy, Grabovski and Kulemin.

It seems goaltending was not one of the biggest needs. It seems it doesn't matter which players are here since the coaching staff and management is still the same ;)

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Now after 10 games let me give you a hint.
Halak in his first 6 games .889
Johnson in his first 4 started games .864

Last season
Nabokov in his first 6 games .925
Poulin in his first 4 games .918
and this without Boychuk, Leddy, Grabovski and Kulemin.

It seems goaltending was not one of the biggest needs. It seems it doesn't matter which players are here since the coaching staff and management is still the same ;)

Currently Nabby has a .873 save percentage with Tampa Bay. Goaltending was a problem last year and currently still is until Halak gets into form.

Realistically our goalies give up too many soft goals. We got shutout by Colorado's goalie tonight despite our getting 40 shots. He didn't give up any soft goals. Realistically the way our goalies are playing if they got 40 shots in their direction by a team of blind six year olds, Halak and Johnson would probably give up 2 or 3 cheapies.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Currently Nabby has a .873 save percentage with Tampa Bay. Goaltending was a problem last year and currently still is until Halak gets into form.

Realistically our goalies give up too many soft goals. We got shutout by Colorado's goalie tonight despite our getting 40 shots. He didn't give up any soft goals. Realistically the way our goalies are playing if they got 40 shots in their direction by a team of blind six year olds, Halak and Johnson would probably give up 2 or 3 cheapies.

It's not that Halak's not into his form--it's that this is the calibre goaltender he is. Don't shoot the messenger.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

When we picked up Halak (forget about Johnson, he is a backup and there should never have been any big expectations for him) it was observed by some of us that he was not top-10 material. His strengths were being comfortable facing a higher than normal shot total, and covering the lower part of the ice. He gives up rebounds, and while he is not Poulin bad at not stopping play more often, it is not a strength. You need a defensive unit that can clean the mess in the slot - rebounds, tricklers, move screens, etc. It is a two part problem right now with Halak's weaknesses being aided and abetted by poor defensive play, and that includes from the forwards.

In a nutshell, all of our worst weaknesses from all three groups, F, D, and G have come together to create a problem bigger than the sum of the individual parts. You can probably add the coaching staff in there as well, like the cherry on top of a hot chocolate sundae, and I don't mean chocolate.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
When we picked up Halak (forget about Johnson, he is a backup and there should never have been any big expectations for him) it was observed by some of us that he was not top-10 material. His strengths were being comfortable facing a higher than normal shot total, and covering the lower part of the ice. He gives up rebounds, and while he is not Poulin bad at not stopping play more often, it is not a strength. You need a defensive unit that can clean the mess in the slot - rebounds, tricklers, move screens, etc. It is a two part problem right now with Halak's weaknesses being aided and abetted by poor defensive play, and that includes from the forwards.

In a nutshell, all of our worst weaknesses from all three groups, F, D, and G have come together to create a problem bigger than the sum of the individual parts. You can probably add the coaching staff in there as well, like the cherry on top of a hot chocolate sundae, and I don't mean chocolate.

What's frustrating is that we thought the weaknesses in goal and on D were addressed.

Still, the team is on pace to finish middle of the pack and in the playoffs. About where I expect them to finish. There will be lots of bumps in the road as this team is far from perfect.

camper*

I hear you also.(from your above)

You need a defensive unit that can clean the mess in the slot - rebounds, tricklers, move screens, etc.

Translate to P.K........small don't work...legs working faster than melon..don't work.....Must have size....the opposition see's the P.K. as walking your "GreatDane"....in a mini poodle pen;).....every facet of the game comes down to who's tougher...even scoring....thats why teams play their 4th line vs our 1st.....soft/weak/vulnerable/defensively inept....but many fans like this hockey style ?.......it is what it is!...Lets not forget they get all the perks also...top d pairings / offensive draws ..yet in their own end they would never get out to get to the offensive end?.....thats what corsi is( for those feminine style posters...Mary/jay-nette...etc.....)

Last edited by a moderator:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What's frustrating is that we thought the weaknesses in goal and on D were addressed.
That takes time. I said it then and will say again, new defensemen and goaltenders means communication and familiarity need to be established. However, they are doing worse than they should on defense, and personnel choices figure highly into this, both on the coaching and GM level.
Translate to P.K........small don't work...legs working faster than melon..don't work.....Must have size....
Yup, need size. Notice how the "You don't need size" banter has dried up and blown away. Every big team gave us problems. Even the Carolina sweep... they were missing too many to make them relevant to the discussion.

This club as currently composed is not going to compete well with big clubs. Prepare for some *** woopins.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
4 way first place tie in the NHL w/ 36 GA

Philly
Edmonton
Buffalo
Islanders

The punchline - Buffalo has played 1 more game than the other three. Are you LOL? I know I'm LOL!

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I'm still not gunna panic yet...another 10-12 games of this and I will be really weary of these two. Haven't been great by any means, really have to step up.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
time to panic!!!!!!!!!!

Did I imply panic somehow? If you have a problem with my post please pm me or state your problem here. Considering this is the same panic statement you made earlier with no additional context I have to ask you if you have some sort of online stalking issue going on. I put up numbers, and a slightly humorous, non-deep underline on them. Are the numbers wrong? Do you object to people expressing creativity on a fan based message board? Please advise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad