Jaromir Jagr vs. Alexander Ovechkin

Greater all-time player.

• Jagr now and Jagr forever.

Votes: 242 59.0%
  • Jagr now, but Ovechkin by the time he is done playing.

Votes: 45 11.0%
  • Ovechkin now and Ovechkin forever.

Votes: 115 28.0%
  • Ovechkin now, but Jagr by the time he is done playing.

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Who is the greater all-time player now? And who do you think by the time their careers are over?

The 4th option is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but Jagr is still playing and he might never retire. Also, Jagr did post a video on his Twitter to warn Ovechkin that he was coming for him after Ovechkin passed him in goals for a European player. :laugh:

Jaromir Jagr:

Regular Season GP = 1733
Regular Season G = 766
Regular Season A = 1155
Regular Season PTS = 1921

Playoffs GP = 208
Playoffs G = 78
Playoffs A = 123
Playoffs PTS = 201

Stanley Cups = 2
Olympic Gold Medals = 1

Hart = 1
Lindsay/Pearson = 3
Art Ross = 5
Conn Smythe = 0
Rocket Richard = 0

1st All-Star Team = 7
2nd All-Star Team = 1

Top 10 G Finishes = 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 (8 total)
Top 10 A Finishes = 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 5, 7, 7, 9 (10 total)
Top 10 PTS Finishes = 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9 (11 total)

Alexander Ovechkin:

Regular Season GP = 1274
Regular Season G = 780
Regular Season A = 630
Regular Season PTS = 1410

Playoffs GP = 147
Playoffs G = 72
Playoffs A = 69
Playoffs PTS = 141

Stanley Cups = 1
Olympic Gold Medals = 0

Hart = 3
Lindsay/Pearson = 3
Art Ross = 1
Conn Smythe = 1
Rocket Richard = 9

1st All-Star Team = 8
2nd All-Star Team = 4

Top 10 G Finishes = 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5 (14 total)
Top 10 A Finishes = 6, 6, 10 (3 total)
Top 10 PTS Finishes = 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 7, 8 (8 total)

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
It's close I think it comes down to who you'd rather have as a teammate they're both funny.

I voted Ovy for best goal scorer.

edit: (sees Ovy's insta profile pic) Gimme Jagr and Lemieux for best goal scorer

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’m going with jagr. He had 5 Art ross wins (4 consecutive), 4 of those wins with no Lemieux at all, and the 5th with half a season of Lemieux. In 1999-2000 he won the art Ross with 63 gp…with HoFers Robert lang and Martin straka as his centers and top team scoring d man J.Slegr….

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thing is, Jagr was a power forward of the archetype that oftentimes isn't even among the highest-producing players in the league. His puck protection was also second to none, and no one in NHL currently can even match it. Ovechkin does also bring value other than his scoring, but not on the level of Jagr - I'd be far more afraid of facing Jagr than Ovechkin.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Thing is, Jagr was a power forward of the archetype that oftentimes isn't even among the highest-producing players in the league. His puck protection was also second to none, and no one in NHL currently can even match it. Ovechkin does also bring value other than his scoring, but not on the level of Jagr - I'd be far more afraid of facing Jagr than Ovechkin.
Jagr was not a power forward in any typical sense of the term. He was huge and maybe the greatest puck protector of all time, but he didn't really punish people physically. He did go to the dirty areas sometimes, but not as often as a power forward would be expected to. I would agree that I'd be more nervous facing Jagr, mainly because he was a bigger offensive threat.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
The disrespect for the player sitting 2nd in NHL points all time is shocking,

Jaromir Jagr is definitely a step above Ovechkin. Jagr took 3 years in Russia and missed 2.5 seasons to lockouts, he should be at 2100 points and 850 goals. And he did it while playing with vastly worse line mates and teams than Ovechkin. Jagr had a domination level above Ovie, there is a reason only 99, 66 and 68 won all the Art Rosses during a span of almost 20 years. Ovechkin has very little on Jagr whatsoever. Ovie can have a new try when he passes Jagr in all time points!

Jagrs 54 goal & 121 point season in 2005-06 aged 33 on a crap team is better than anything Ovechkin put up in his prime

Jagr won 4 straight Art Ross Trophy between 1997 and 2001 (Jagr had the 2nd best PPG in 1996-1997 after Lemieux as well) And between 1994-95 and 2000-01 Jagr won 5 out of 7 Art Ross Trophys and was 2nd in 95-96 and had the 2nd best PPG in 96-97. Jagr dominated the league in a way Ovechkin has never managed during such a long time span. Crosby might have done it if he had not been unlucky with injuries, but its not certain.

When did Ovechkin win 5 out of 7 seven scoring titles while being the 2nd highest scoring player the other 2 years behind only the out of this world Mario Lemieux? Jagr would probably have made it 7 out of 7 if Lemieux was not playing. Jagr was the only player outscoring Mario Lemieux during his 2000-01 comeback season.

At last: The notion that Jagrs early years were fairly underwhelming is also untrue, the only reason Jagr was not able to put up big numbers in his first 2-3 seasons is because the Pens team was so stacked Jagr had to settle for 3rd line ice time with limited PP ice time. Crosby & Ovechkin was given unlimited ice time right from the start as they arrived on teams that sucked so they went straight into 25 minutes per game on the 1st line/1st PP,

Imagine how many points Jagr would have scored in 1990-91, 1991-92 and 1992-93 if he had been placed on the 1st line and 1st PP with Lemieux with 25+ minutes per game? Note: It does not help to play on a heavily stacked offensive team if you are not on the ice with these amazing players most of the time!

Conclusion: Jaromir Jagr is crazily underrated among hockey fans and especially by Crosby and Ovechkin fans who seems to have missed out on Jagrs prime domination time.

I find it completely absurd when I see many newer fans talking about the top 10 with Crosby and Ovechkin on it, but without Jagr.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Jagr was not a power forward in any typical sense of the term. He was huge and maybe the greatest puck protector of all time, but he didn't really punish people physically. He did go to the dirty areas sometimes, but not as often as a power forward would be expected to. I would agree that I'd be more nervous facing Jagr, mainly because he was a bigger offensive threat.
I don't think a power forward's about being "punishing", I think a power forward's about being difficult to knock off the puck and to contain.

For example, I wouldn't consider Peter Forsberg a power forward even though he was very punishing.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't think a power forward's about being "punishing", I think a power forward's about being difficult to knock off the puck and to contain.

For example, I wouldn't consider Peter Forsberg a power forward even though he was very punishing.

No, that's just a forward with good puck protection.

A power forward is a devastating hitter and a feared fighter.

On topic, its easily Jagr. 1900 points and 766 goals despite spending 4 years in Russia and 2 years lost to lockouts. If not for his time in the KHL, Jagr would have easily broken Gretzky's goal record.

Jagr all time:

4th in goals
5th in assists
2nd in points

Ovechkin is 3rd, 82nd and 20th respectively

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Jagr pretty easily for me. Ovi is obviously an all-time great in his own right and possibly the best goal scorer ever.. but since his early prime he's been pretty much a turret. Very few players ever could drive the play and hang on to the puck like Jagr did for a lot of years.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Jagr pretty easily for me. Ovi is obviously an all-time great in his own right and possibly the best goal scorer ever.. but since his early prime he's been pretty much a turret. Very few players ever could drive the play and hang on to the puck like Jagr did for a lot of years.
I concur. Jagr had a broader skillset and impacted the game more. No slight to ovie

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

No one would reasonably consider Forsberg a power forward, and part of it is because he wasn't a very punishing player. Power forwards were big players who punished the opposition and played in the highly contested areas of the ice like in front of the net and in the corners. It's all semantics I guess but by the common usage at the time that Jagr played he was by no means a power forward. Guys like Lindros, Tkachuk, LeClair, and Shanahan were some of the star power forwards of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad