Rumor: Jaromir Jagr hanging them up?!?!

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I hope he proves me wrong and picks a contender team and gets less salary instead of just joining the team that pays him most.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
He said today that he think he will play in kladno and keep his options open if injuries happen in the nhl or a team needs him. Says he is surprised how hard it is to find work. Said he is willing to play on the 2nd or 3rd line and that it might be better for him since he believes he might get more scoring opportunities playing against weaker lines.

Nhl.com did a point title comparison with many nhl players in the last 4 years. Jagr was side by side with guys like Simmons, Marleau, Sedin, Eberle and a few other notable players.

Full article here
https://www.nhl.com/news/jagr-didnt-expect-it-would-be-so-hard-to-get-job-in-nhl/c-290634078

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think Jagr hasn't signed yet because of Jagr and not because teams don't want to sign him. He's probably the most consistent, if not, one of the most consistent players to play the game, so teams know what to expect when they sign him. I think he wants to see how teams are settling with players before he chooses his list (probably 5-7 teams) that he wants to play for...

My question is:

What teams do you think Jagr DOESN'T want to play for?

What teams wouldn't sign Jagr at all..even if Jagr said "I want to play for you"?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah, I think it's just teams don't want to sign him. The game is moving more and more towards speed and Jagr at this point in his career is the antithesis of speed. Jagr has also been a bust in the playoffs ever since he came back from the KHL, too. I don't think any good teams would want him right now because they mostly have better options.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He said today that he think he will play in kladno and keep his options open if injuries happen in the nhl or a team needs him. Says he is surprised how hard it is to find work. Said he is willing to play on the 2nd or 3rd line and that it might be better for him since he believes he might get more scoring opportunities playing against weaker lines.

Nhl.com did a point title comparison with many nhl players in the last 4 years. Jagr was side by side with guys like Simmons, Marleau, Sedin, Eberle and a few other notable players.

Full article here
https://www.nhl.com/news/jagr-didnt-expect-it-would-be-so-hard-to-get-job-in-nhl/c-290634078

If he started the season overseas, he'd have to pass through waivers if/when he signed with an NHL team, correct? Seems like a situation he wouldn't be to keen on IMO.

Also, it doesn't sound like a done deal that he'll start the season with Klando. Just that it's an option.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If he started the season overseas, he'd have to pass through waivers if/when he signed with an NHL team, correct? Seems like a situation he wouldn't be to keen on IMO.

Also, it doesn't sound like a done deal that he'll start the season with Klando. Just that it's an option.

Reentry waivers isn't a thing anymore. It got killed in the 2013 lockout.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
still think dallas would be the perfect fit

even at 45 he's still better than a lot of guys with jobs

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I think he'd fit on quite a few teams, and if he's open to a 2nd or 3rd line role (sounds like he is), I can't imagine a team not jumping on that, unless he has unrealistic salary expectations.

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure why this thread is called "Jagr hanging them up". He's clearly playing pro hockey next year, it just might not be in the NHL.

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
If the information on Capfriendly is correct, and depending on which RFAs still need contracts, most playoff/bubble teams can afford him easily, including a lot of east coast/rust belt teams -- Carolina, Boston, Columbus, Montreal, and Nashville, for example. I think he has to be hanging up the phone when teams tell him he might end up on the 4th line and 2nd unit PP, which he might on any team at this point. No GM is going to stretch the truth to a guy like Jagr when discussing his role, nor would Jagr fail to notice if they did. I think he'll sign somewhere as soon as he reconciles himself to the fact that he might have a limited role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad