Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
AZ can use Halak and then expose him to Vegas.

WPG - as noted, their G is not very good.

ANA - Bernier is not a solution to backup Gibson - debatable whether Gibson is the answer too, however, Halak gives them a vet while in 'win now mode' [albeit, I think ANA trades Perry in 2017 to NYI]

EDM - Monster is cheap, but Talbot over a full season w/condensed schedule? Would be wise for Halak to offset Talbot and provide protection against injury. With all the good vibes in EDM, smart move re 'we mean business in being competitve'

PS - remember, McPhee was the goalie that acquired Halak in WAS. His successor traded him to NYI that summer after WAS did not make the playoffs.
What about absorbing salary back from LA?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I'd move Halak to LA for Brown (if he waives) with 50% retention for both contracts, with 50% retention he becomes a good 1A to Quick. Brown would be a good 2nd liner for us (maybe even first if he can get his step back). If he waives his NMC once it is waived for the expansion draft (even if it wasn't I think he would waive it for a chance to captain that team).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd move Halak to LA for Brown (if he waives) with 50% retention for both contracts, with 50% retention he becomes a good 1A to Quick. Brown would be a good 2nd liner for us (maybe even first if he can get his step back). If he waives his NMC once it is waived for the expansion draft (even if it wasn't I think he would waive it for a chance to captain that team).

Brown is a shell of his former self.calling him a second 2nd liner is being generous. That's a long contract(6) more years I believe. Even with retention.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
In Casual conversation with an ex-team exec north of border who is doing some consulting for the Isles and was told that Snow is not going anywhere.
He got Wang to agree that if hes offering Dipietro a contract for 15 years, he wanted and got the same

Hmmm, that makes sense because you know Snow's thinking if he's going to be the GM who issues that contract, it would be a long, long time before any owners took him seriously and he'd never get another GM job if he got fired too soon. Of course, it's 10 years later and I still don't think he'd get another GM job.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
AZ can use Halak and then expose him to Vegas.

WPG - as noted, their G is not very good.

ANA - Bernier is not a solution to backup Gibson

ARI doesn't need Halak, they have Smith and will expose him in the draft. ARI also might not have cap room to take Halak. Of course ARI would trade Smith for Halak :)

WPG shouldn't have a 4th goalie. Trading Halak for Pavelec makes no sense for them because Halak has another year on his contract.

ANA should be happy to have Bernier. Bernier should be even better than Gibson this season, but with their cap trouble they should have taken a cheaper goalie, but Bernier was a part of the Andersen trade. I would trade Halak for Bernier.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
No other team in the NHL carries 3 goalies. This should tell you enough. I hope one of either Halak gets traded, or Berube gets waived. No more of this nightmare.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
I don't have any "Halak hate," but but the team's play in front of Greiss and his being a year younger both make me a little more comfortable finding a deal for Halak.

I'd go Halak+ for someone that actually belongs in a #1RW role.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
No other team in the NHL carries 3 goalies. This should tell you enough. I hope one of either Halak gets traded, or Berube gets waived. No more of this nightmare.

Just waive Halak and let him go to Bridgeport, beautiful city ... problem solved

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't have any "Halak hate," but but the team's play in front of Greiss and his being a year younger both make me a little more comfortable finding a deal for Halak.

I'd go Halak+ for someone that actually belongs in a #1RW role.

It's weird seeing posts like these because I think Halak brings back a 3rd round pick and maybe an ECHL/AHL tweener AT BEST.

Hopefully we'll found out soon enough.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just pick two guys and lets move on.

Personally, I think Greiss is at his best when he's pushing Halak for starts, but if this organization is dead set on moving Halak out of the three, then you need to move him and move on. This has been a distraction going back to last season for crying out loud.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I would trade Halak and our 2nd round pick to Carolina's 1st round pick. Gives is and extra #1 pick AND gets rid of salary. Don't know if Carolina would do that though. They are mentioned as one of the possible trade partners for Halak.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I would trade Halak and our 2nd round pick to Carolina's 1st round pick. Gives is and extra #1 pick AND gets rid of salary. Don't know if Carolina would do that though. They are mentioned as one of the possible trade partners for Halak.

They're not good enough to trade their 1st, especially for Halak.

I'd do Halak for a 3rd and an okay prospect from them.

scott99

May 13, 2005
They're not good enough to trade their 1st, especially for Halak.

I'd do Halak for a 3rd and an okay prospect from them.

Whatever we get for Halak, we aren't gonna be happy, it's gonna be another Vanek. Snow took the bait,(the tweets) emailed the NHL Halak is available, and now he's dealing from from a point of weakness, everyone knows he's got to deal a goalie.
Should have traded him after the World Cup, that's when Halak's worth was at its highest.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Whatever we get for Halak, we aren't gonna be happy, it's gonna be another Vanek. Snow took the bait,(the tweets) emailed the NHL Halak is available, and now he's dealing from from a point of weakness, everyone knows he's got to deal a goalie.
Should have traded him after the World Cup, that's when Halak's worth was at its highest.

How is Snow in a position of weakness? He doesn't need to do a damn thing.

Also, we don't know what Halak is worth now or what he was worth two months ago. But my guess is his value will be a lot higher if/when a team (or teams) unexpectedly find themselves in the goalie market (due to an injury for example).

scott99

May 13, 2005
How is Snow in a position of weakness? He doesn't need to do a damn thing.

Also, we don't know what Halak is worth now or what he was worth two months ago. But my guess is his value will be a lot higher if/when a team (or teams) unexpectedly find themselves in the goalie market (due to an injury for example).
He's in a position of weakness by emailing the whole NHL that he wants to trade Halak, AFTER a tweet/complaint by the player's agent. Knee-jerk reaction by Snow letting the rest of the league know he wants to get rid of Halak.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

I don't see this as the Vanek situation at all.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He's in a position of weakness by emailing the whole NHL that he wants to trade Halak, AFTER a tweet/complaint by the player's agent. Knee-jerk reaction by Snow letting the rest of the league know he wants to get rid of Halak.

Well, we don't know that he emailed the whole NHL. And even if he did, who cares? Is that an unprecedented move by a GM? Does it somehow signal that he absolutely MUST move Halak immediately? No, of course not. Halak is under contract and just because his agent is whining, it doesn't give the 29 other GM's any leverage whatsoever.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

It's been known Halak has been available. Isles needed Halak to play in the WC just to have value - no one was trading for an injured goalie.

The whole 'email the league' was nothing more than a 'here you go Alan, happy now?' Not knee-jerk reaction - people are assuming Snow has not already been seeking a trading partner for Halak, which is highly highly doubtful.

The last insubordinate employee was traded after the player and this agent mouthed off. Walsh is a mouth. Halak went public last season. There's enough writing on the wall to indicate Snow is looking to move Halak - just needs a dance partner, which just may be a team desperate to make a move due to injury. They seem more than confident in going with Greiss as their #1.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Anyone thinking that Greiss is somehow unhappy with the 3 goalie situation is dead wrong. Guy has been a career back up...why would he complain when he is playing 40% of the games??????????????

Halak is dead weight and I'm glad if we move him. He has been average at best and I see him more as of a Nabakov with less heart. Trade anything for Halak and let Berube back up Greiss.

Some of you are out of your bird.

Complain when we never sign anyone - check
Complain when we do sign players - check
Complain when our average goalie is upset - check
Complain the team is on a downward spiral before 10 games - check.

Stop whining so much and enjoy the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad