Prospect Info: Jared Davidson

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Blandest name in the Habs' system after Jack Smith. I guess it's better than all the Taylor/Tyler McConnorkenzie-type abominations.

I'm wary of forgettable names. They often lead to forgettable careers. There are exceptions of course... Gary Roberts, Kevin Stevens. There are many in French Denis Savard, Richard Martin, Réjean Houle, they all sound like retired accoutant names or something.

I was pissed we passed on Jagger Firkus. Even if he busts at least it's a fun piece of trivia. Mesar does sound kinda cool though. Emmett Croteau, just wow. Spectacular name. Vinzenz Rohrer not bad either.

• Haha
Reactions: Habano and Sagikev

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Blandest name in the Habs' system after Jack Smith. I guess it's better than all the Taylor/Tyler McConnorkenzie-type abominations.

I'm wary of forgettable names. They often lead to forgettable careers. There are exceptions of course... Gary Roberts, Kevin Stevens. There are many in French Denis Savard, Richard Martin, Réjean Houle, they all sound like retired accoutant names or something.

I was pissed we passed on Jagger Firkus. Even if he busts at least it's a fun piece of trivia. Mesar does sound kinda cool though. Emmett Croteau, just wow. Spectacular name. Vinzenz Rohrer not bad either.
After watching videos of his play, I would suggest that Davidson will have to overcome far more than the blandness of his name to make the NHL.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
After watching videos of his play, I would suggest that Davidson will have to overcome far more than the blandness of his name to make the NHL.
He is a 5th round pick.....there is always plenty to work on with 5th rounders. I take him over Morrison all day though despite all of the stat watchers who were upset that we didn't take him. Davidson's skating is not as bad as Morrison's and he has an NHL calibre shot.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004

Wait till next year. There's a Swedish defenceman named HUGO HELL

• Wow
Reactions: Sagikev and Toene

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He is a 5th round pick.....there is always plenty to work on with 5th rounders. I take him over Morrison all day though despite all of the stat watchers who were upset that we didn't take him. Davidson's skating is not as bad as Morrison's and he has an NHL calibre shot.
Is that like saying he has a nice personality?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Is that like saying he has a nice personality?

I like the pick and like his overall game. Skating appears to be the main culprit so who knows how this turns out. I see him as a bigger version of RHP and even if he doesn't prove to be a quality NHLer he has a good chance to become a good player for Laval and a good future leader for our more talented prospects.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I like the pick and like his overall game. Skating appears to be the main culprit so who knows how this turns out. I see him as a bigger version of RHP and even if he doesn't prove to be a quality NHLer he has a good chance to become a good player for Laval and a good future leader for our more talented prospects.
That’s a fair assessment. But once a limitation in skating issue/ factor is raised with respect to most players, it becomes highly improbable that the player, regardless of any other skills he may possess, will enjoy any success at the NHL level.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012

I think the coolest name among our prospects is Arber Xhekaj :laugh:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
That’s a fair assessment. But once a limitation in skating issue/ factor is raised with respect to most players, it becomes highly improbable that the player, regardless of any other skills he may possess, will enjoy any success at the NHL level.

Not necessarily as most drafted players are below average NHL skaters as many need to get stronger and others just haven't developed and refined their technique yet.

There are plenty of players in the NHL who are below average skaters including stars like O'Reilly, Stone and Boeser. We went to the Cup Finals with Gallagher, Toffoli, Staal, Armia, Perry, Weber and Ouellete who were all below average to poor skaters relative to NHL standards.

The most important attribute's are Hockey IQ, drive and skill. The fist two are innate and are not easily fixed, especially IQ. Skill level is perhaps the hardest to change as a players relative skill level has usually been determined by the time they are drafted. All players can improve their skills but the skill gap is determined quite early and is difficult to close when everyone has the same training and are improving at similar rates that originally determined their skill level at the draft.

Skating can see dramatic changes, especially in 17 and 18 year old boys who are still adjusting from earlier growth spurts as well has significant strength gains that can alter their mechanics.

Of course it is preferable to choose kids who are already good skaters and they often will go before slower players but if you really want to draft a steal in the mid to later rounds you will be looking for skilled, smart kids who have skating inefficiencies. Drafting unskilled, faster skaters is rarely a good idea as closing the skill gap is alot more difficult than closing the skating gap.

I have not watched enough of Davidson to determine exactly how much work his skating needs but I have seen much worse (Biondi, Teasdale) and I don't think he needs an overhaul. The one concern that I do have is that he is 20 and is a little later in his development curve than most of the kids in this draft.

Le Berge

Feb 25, 2018
He's already 20
A player is considered a 20-year when he begins the regular season at 20 year old. Last season was a 19 for him, like Guhle and Mysak.

PLAYERDraft byRoundGPGATPPPG+/-
1Ridly GreigOttawa Senators1392637631,6226
2Jake NeighboursSt. Louis Blues1301728451,5024
3Jared Davidson644247891,3943
4Cross HanasDetroit Red Wings2632660861,3731
5Justin SourdifFlorida Panthers3522645711,3745
6Jaydon DureauTampa Bay Lightning5492442661,3521
7Lukas SvejkovskyPittsburgh Penguins4573541761,3316
8Connor McClennonPhiladelphia Flyers6624338811,3142
9Tristen RobinsSan Jose Sharks2623345781,264
10Pavel NovákMinnesota Wild5622943721,1626
11Bear HughesWashington Capitals5642443671,05-18
12Ozzy WiesblattSan Jose Sharks1431031410,95-3
13Jack FinleyTampa Bay Lightning2602723500,831

Last year Top 12 PPG WHL players drafted in 2020 (Davidson's draft year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad