Jared Cowen: Future top 4 dman or just a man bun aficionado? [MOD Warning: Post 393]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Cowen is playing a bit better right now than he has been. I'd still trade him though. He takes some of the laziest penalties.

He has one minor penalty in 7 games this season. His only penalty came in a tight game where he played 22 minutes.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
He's getting mins because of how much we're on the PK.

His 5v5 toi is 5th on the team, behind Wier, Methot (who missed a game) Ceci and Karlsson. He's got a decent gap over Boro though.

He doesn't really have top 4 TOI, and +/- is really not somehting that should be talked about when trying to identify top 4 numbers...

I do, however, think he's shown enough to up his responsibility.

Not sure I would agree with your explanation on Cowen's TOI.

Fact is he is averaging 18:43 TOI regardless of when the minutes are played and his ice time is increasing.

Cowen has played only 1:47 & 1:45 less per game 5 on 5 than PW & Ceci respectively. Given all the PK time Cowen has averaged per game, the TOI 5 on 5 differential is inconsequential.

While some may choose to debate how the D ranks so far in terms of performance, I would have Cowen no lower than third.

PS +/- is not a great stat for any player, however Cowen's play has been indicative of his leading the D in this category.

IMO the reason Cowen hasn't been moved into the top 4 is because a Wiercoich-Boro/Wideman pairing would be a disaster given how PW has played..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think that if they just keep together the pairs that play the best together it would work out better for the team. Don't worry about top pair, second pair or third pair because the best pairs will eventually play the best & should get rewarded with the more ice time. I like Methot/Karlsson & Cowen/Wideman together & think those two pairs not only play well together but also compliment each other. Wiercioch on the other hand hasn't really shown that he has played well with any other player. Boro has played well & mostly the same no matter who he is paired with, therefore I would play him with Ceci to see if they can be good together. They played well together in the rookie tournament & Bingo yrs ago & they could probably be good together again, they should try it at least.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Cowen's breakout passes are in the feet of the forward it seems like every single time. How is it possible for a guy who went 9th overall to not be able to pass?

That no look pass up the middle that Turris wasn't expecting and ended up in the back of the net for the Coyotes 3rd goal was a prime example. Dude needs to be told to simplify his game, he's trying things that he just isn't able to pull off with his skillset

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think he is playing well, his game does seem to break down though whenever he is paired with Karlsson as he was a couple of times last night, for some reason Karlsson is very bad for Cowen. Leave him with Wideman & he will be fine.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Cowen's breakout passes are in the feet of the forward it seems like every single time. How is it possible for a guy who went 9th overall to not be able to pass?

Because the average value of a 9th overall pick is a 6/7 D man. That is what the average in that draft position gets, thats what he is playing like.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

That no look pass up the middle that Turris wasn't expecting and ended up in the back of the net for the Coyotes 3rd goal was a prime example. Dude needs to be told to simplify his game, he's trying things that he just isn't able to pull off with his skillset

I'd say well over three quarters of this team can't make a decent pass. Only the top line + Karlsson seem to understand the concept of passing slightly ahead of a guy so they can make a tape-to-tape pass.

It is one of the most infuriating things with this team...and it's something that has been going on for several years.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd say well over three quarters of this team can't make a decent pass. Only the top line + Karlsson seem to understand the concept of passing slightly ahead of a guy so they can make a tape-to-tape pass.

It is one of the most infuriating things with this team...and it's something that has been going on for several years.

I dont think they could have been the best team (or close) in the 2nd half of last season with that kind of problem... And not only in the win column, but also goal differential, scoring chances differential, etc. They were not a fluke. But I admit they seem a bit out of sync actually. Unfortunately it seems to be a team of slow starters

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We could have had Nick Leddy or De Haan over this guy.

We can pretty much play this game with any player.

Could've had Brodin instead of Zibanejad
Could've had Gaudreau instead of Pageau
Could've had Ekholm or Vatanen instead of Wideman
Could've had Hamonic or Scandella instead or Wiercioch

On draft day Cowen was the conscensus pick. So easy to say this years later. I would've flipped out if we'd have drafted Leddy over Cowen at that time...

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

It wasn't a no look pass, it was the only apparent safe outlet he had, other than dump the puck out, after a terrible decision by Andy.

Cowen put the puck in an open area with two Sens forwards in position to retrieve it, neither did.

Stone should have either stopped to play the puck or ensured he didn't deflect it with his skate, which he appears to do intentionally.

After the deflection Turris should have stopped and played the puck immediately, but he sees EK is in better position and thinks EK will pick it up. However EK was going on the offence and believed Turris was the guy.

Who made mistakes on that play?

IMO its Cowen's fault simply because he should have known if anything when wrong while he was on the ice with EK, Stone and Turris it was going to be his fault. So always make the safest play then get off the ice. :sarcasm:

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Turrs and Karlsson deserve some blame on that play, they both looked lethargic when a puck is sitting in front of your own goalie while opposing players are in the zone. Where is the hustle or a diving stick to try and move the puck out of a danger zone.

Cowen has been fantastic if compared to our other D. People who think hes an issue need to check offensive players for getting one goal on Arizona or the second pairing of PW and Ceci who are both playing marginally better than Boro.

Right now Cowen is our #3 and that's behind our best player in Karlsson who hasn't been playing all that well.

Bilbo

Jul 22, 2011
Montreal
9 games in and I do not see the improvement that others do. He makes the odd good hit but usually takes himself out of position pursuing hits. Still a poor passer and often bobbles the puck on the offensive blueline, poorly timed pinches ...

The NHL is moving on from the big, low skill defensive D and that looks more and more to be the highside for Cowen. Given the size and length of that contract, he is the first D I would trade with other assets to upgrade to a real #3 or #4 D.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Was nothing short of awesome the first 5 games. Was being his usual physical dominating self, shutting down the opposition using his huge reach, massive wingspan and impressive skating ability. He was moving the puck very well in those games as well. Looked head and shoulders above guys like Ceci, Wiercioch, Boro.

Last couple games haven't been nearly as good, but considering that the entire defense (including a Norris trophy winner) has been awful lately it's probably smart not to draw any major conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad