Confirmed with Link: Jamie McBain and #35 for D Andrej Sekera

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Not sure if anyone posted this here yet. But if you are interested in an Objective analysis of Sekera's breakout 2011-12 season, I created a thread about it last year...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1195891&highlight=sekera

I think you guys got a very very good defensemen. The type of defensemen who goes underappreciated when NHL.com stats don't tell the whole story (a high end skating version of Rob Scuderi is how I usually describe him).

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Not sure if anyone posted this here yet. But if you are interested in an Objective analysis of Sekera's breakout 2011-12 season, I created a thread about it last year...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1195891&highlight=sekera

I think you guys got a very very good defensemen. The type of defensemen who goes underappreciated when NHL.com stats don't tell the whole story (a high end skating version of Rob Scuderi is how I usually describe him).

Fantastic analysis. Much appreciated. I have heard a few comparisons to Dennis Seidenberg which is a pleasant thought. You guys got good value for him in return as Compher is a nice pick and McBain could be on the rebound in a new location. I feel like he was maligned here for being less than he was supposed to be, but still a pretty effective player in fits and starts. It wouldn't shock me to see him get his act together.

WWAD

Aug 20, 2009
Nice analysis. Good to see Sekera seems to be effective even when paired with guys who suck. That will be a handy attribute to possess on this Hurricanes team.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I think you guys will like this trade. 2nd line defenseman with offensive upside and can play 1st line situations. Gonna miss Rej.

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Wow. I can hardly read (some of) this board anymore. It's all an immediate JR bash-fest even if the poster says nothing at all about the players actually involved in the trade.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Wow. I can hardly read (some of) this board anymore. It's all an immediate JR bash-fest even if the poster says nothing at all about the players actually involved in the trade.
Well, welcome to the old normal.

This board is infatuated with "name" players so when a name Sekera pops up, the frenzy starts.

It's a really good move all in all but another needs to be made to shore up the D. It worries me to hear JR call Sekera a "shutdown" D because that's not who he is.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

This board is infatuated with "name" players so when a name Sekera pops up, the frenzy starts.

It's a really good move all in all but another needs to be made to shore up the D. It worries me to hear JR call Sekera a "shutdown" D because that's not who he is.

Another defensive-minded D likely keeps Murphy in Charlotte, which could be a good thing. But then I start to wonder about the PP blue line. Right now:

Pitkanen-Faulk/Sekera
Gleason-Faulk/Sekera
Harrison-Murphy

PK: Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, Sekera
PP: Faulk, Pitkanen, Murphy, Sekera?

If Murphy isn't on the squad, the PP blue line is an even bigger issue. I thought Harrison-Murphy showed good potential as a 3rd pairing last year rather than the 2nd pairing they were often forced into. I like this more than bringing in a buyout candidate like Komisarek to pair with Harrison on the bottom.

Or do you dress 7 D with Harrison, a buyout candidate like Komisarek, and either Murphy or Sanguinetti?

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Another defensive-minded D likely keeps Murphy in Charlotte, which could be a good thing. But then I start to wonder about the PP blue line. Right now:

Pitkanen-Faulk/Sekera
Gleason-Faulk/Sekera
Harrison-Murphy

PK: Gleason, Faulk, Harrison, Sekera
PP: Faulk, Pitkanen, Murphy, Sekera?

If Murphy isn't on the squad, the PP blue line is an even bigger issue. I thought Harrison-Murphy showed good potential as a 3rd pairing last year rather than the 2nd pairing they were often forced into. I like this more than bringing in a buyout candidate like Komisarek to pair with Harrison on the bottom.

Or do you dress 7 D with Harrison, a buyout candidate like Komisarek, and either Murphy or Sanguinetti?
Yeah, the best scenario for me is to keep Murphy in the mix but add the D-D by trading Pitkanen even if you don't get total fair value due to his injury.

My other concern with JR is that I wouldn't be surprised to see him point to Chicago's D and say "well, that more of a puck-moving corps without a great deal of physical, crease-clearers not unlike what we have here..." :shakehead

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
well, I likewise wouldn't call him a shutdown guy, but he'll bring that presence to the defense that Spacek and Pothier did when healthy during their brief stays here. He'll basically be what Seidenberg would have been for us if he had stuck around... still kills me that we weren't able to come to an agreement on an extension for him and instead had to overpay for an Aaron Ward that was done by that point.

also, talking about PP for next season, here's what I'd run assuming Lindholm makes the team:

Skinner - Jordan - Semin
Pitkanen - Eric

Tlusty - Lindholm - Ruutu
Murphy - Faulk

you can have a forward work as a trigger man on the point pretty easily, and our PP was at its best when we had Staal as point on the top unit with Weight centering things way back when.

Probably give Sekera #3 guy minutes on the PK, possibly even top PK pair with Faulk.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Agreed. Staal on the point works fine, we need firepower out there. Anything to fix that travesty they called a PP last year.

Rask was an ace on the PP for Calgary and Lindholm's playmaking abilities and willingness to camp out the front of the net should lend itself well if either or both make the team. Murphy will also be a huge addition.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I know we have had success with forwards at the point before (Staal early on, Cullen, Hamilton and Brent for about a week each.)

In general, I like the PP lines as mentioned. But without Murphy it definitely gets thin.

I don't like the idea of trading Pitkanen now because of the injury. Dealing him for pennies on the dollar doesn't make a lot of sense. I can see doing so at the deadline if the need to make the D more defensive-minded is still there.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I highly doubt that Joni's traded. His problem as you said has been staying healthy and we'd be getting pennies on the dollar... and JR knows it. Best to just keep him, and if we're out of the mix again at the deadline next season trade him when he's hopefully shown he can stay healthy. Of course, if Joni stays healthy this is a much better team and we may be in much better position come next years deadline.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

that's exactly what he is

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I highly doubt that Joni's traded. His problem as you said has been staying healthy and we'd be getting pennies on the dollar... and JR knows it. Best to just keep him, and if we're out of the mix again at the deadline next season trade him when he's hopefully shown he can stay healthy. Of course, if Joni stays healthy this is a much better team and we may be in much better position come next years deadline.

My ideal would be to trade him for a lesser skilled player, who maybe brought a different presence to the team. I know we'd miss his skill, but we tend to miss it a lot as it is. I think we need better chemistry on the back line, and IMO Pitts is one of the guys it's tough to find a good partner for at times. I can't stand him, I've made that obvious before but I acknowledge his skill and ability. I also agree we're in a tough spot with him where maybe no good move is there.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
While we're talking about Pitkanen, JR did mention a couple times this weekend that it looks like he'll be 100% for training camp. Definitely good news.

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Pits should always be with someonelike Gleason.

I think a lot of the issues with Pits has been coaching - you can't put another similiar minded rover style roaming defensemen with him and not expect a random breakdown leading to a 2 on 1 or a breakaway the other way on occasion.

But when it happens, you roll the tape and there is Pits at a faceoff circle on on the half wall and fans start screaming. But no one thinks "hmm, Maybe McBain shouldn't be on the ice with him"

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I would pair Faulk and Eric on the 1st PP
Sekera and Murphy on the 2nd

Sekera is a good passer and can linger back to keep breakaways in check, while Murphy can do his thing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pits has stated that he's at his best when paired with someone else that knows what they're doing with the puck as well. It's one of the reasons why McBain actually looked like a decent defenseman a good bit of the time when paired with him but looked like garbage with other players. Seidenberg similarly looked his best here when paired with Joni IMO. I honestly think Sekera has enough of that in his game to make it work with Joni pretty effectively.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
that's exactly what he is
No, JR is talking about a physical, crease-clearing shutdown D. That is decidedly not Sekera. Faulk can play and does play shutdown minutes but that's not his style either. In fairness, I stated that full description in the follow-up post of mine.

Look, I like him and think he's under-appreciated and underrated. He's an upgrade and will play a very steady game for the Canes. But he isn't the missing link on the D corps that's still lacking.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
No, JR is talking about a physical, crease-clearing shutdown D. That is decidedly not Sekera. Faulk can play and does play shutdown minutes but that's not his style either. In fairness, I stated that full description in the follow-up post of mine.

Look, I like him and think he's under-appreciated and underrated. He's an upgrade and will play a very steady game for the Canes. But he isn't the missing link on the D corps that's still lacking.

He literally just said shutdown. Someone who can "shutdown" the other teams top line. That doesn't imply that they are physical or crease clearing whatsoever.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Last off-season JR said Corvo could play with Gleason in a "shutdown" role so I don't think physical and crease clearing have anything to do with JRs definition of a shutdown defenseman.

I think they need a crease clearer for the PK, but the guys who are supposed to do that already (Harrison and Gleason)

golfpro827

Jun 30, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I don't get too caught up in what GM's and such say about a player they sign.

Even if Sekera was JR's 10th option, do you think he's not going to say that? I don't think "Well, he's not who wanted because he's just average and likely not the type of guy we needed" would fly over too well.

Of course he's going to say he's the shut down guy we needed.

The only time I've ever heard JR actually throw out a name of a guy he wanted was last season with Parise.

Edit: I think I recall him stating he wanted Pitkanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad