Proposal: James VanRiemsdyk for Mikhail Sergachev

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
You guys just traded for Weber, not saying you guys are in a bad position contract wise but the chemistry with this team is clear. Who knows if Radulov resigns (You know what he's done for your team), key aging players. Carey is reaching his prime, who knows how long that lasts. If anyone can be an elite goaltender until 35 it's him but to assume that he won't get injured is tough.

a core of Chucky, Gally, Pacs, Danualt Sergs, Juulsen, Big mac, Sherback, Lehks, and other prospects with the support of Weber, Price, Petry, Radulov and potential signings of Shipachyev and/or Dadonov makes me convinced that our window is for the next 6 years or so.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Only way this could happen is if TO took some cap as well.
Habs have no room for JVR's salary.
Radulov will be re-signed at $7mil/, plus they have other players coming up for extension.
Losing DD and Markov of the books this summer will help with that, but to add JVR now, Habs need to move cap, now.
As for TO. Beaulieu is probably there better target as he's proven to be top 4, and is in the league now.
He's RFA after this season, but will still be affordable and can grow with the team.
Add DD for the remainder of this season, yes UFA this July so you can let him walk, and it's equal salary going both ways.
Add a pick from Montreal to offset on ice value and it should work.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Only way this could happen is if TO took some cap as well.
Habs have no room for JVR's salary.
Radulov will be re-signed at $7mil/, plus they have other players coming up for extension.
Losing DD and Markov of the books this summer will help with that, but to add JVR now, Habs need to move cap, now.
As for TO. Beaulieu is probably there better target as he's proven to be top 4, and is in the league now.
He's RFA after this season, but will still be affordable and can grow with the team.
Add DD for the remainder of this season, yes UFA this July so you can let him walk, and it's equal salary going both ways.
Add a pick from Montreal to offset on ice value and it should work.

JVR's salary is partly what makes him so attractive. But I wouldn't mind retaining some salary because it doesn't hurt the Leafs to retain a little for one more year after this. So if that's what it takes to make a JVR for Sergachev, I'd do it. But any trade would still have Sergachev involved. It's the Habs that are buying, and not the other way around.

But if the Habs did trade Sergachev at all, they could shop around for a better deal than JVR while at it. So perhaps in the end they aren't the best trading partners.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
I'm not trading anything of value to Montreal.
No ****ing way I want the leafs helping them win a cup.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sergachev could swing a much better player, he's in the Rielly prospect category.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Habs say no. JVR is not that much of a difference maker...and I follow the Leafs more than any team.

I've said the Leafs should keep JVR to help for the next year or so transition....but for a potential # 1 stud Dman, the Leafs jump on this trade.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I wouldn't trade Sergachev.

But I would definitely want JVR. I also want Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

In both cases, I think our best available young pieces are:

Defense: Beaulieu (but he needs to be replaced if traded), Juulsen

Forwards:
Scherbak, McCarron, Lehkonen, Hudon, Ghetto, Carr

Goalies: Charlie Lindgren, Zachary Fucale

Draft picks: this and next year 1st and 2nd round picks.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
This actually isn't bad of a proposal. Considering JVR can be a piece to bring the Habs over the top, and you have him for more than just this year (you can trade him to a different contender next year should you win the cup), a cup is likely worth a prospect. Sergachev is very good, yes, but this season he has struggled to start in Windsor and if you have the potential to win a cup, you do it. Especially if the Leafs are willing to retain.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean, Sergachev is a nice dman prospect but he's hardly a surefire top pairing guy.

The Habs are trying to win a cup right now, no?

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
tornto would kill for this deal. serggy is a piece that would fit like a glove with their current state.

JVR would really help montreal now.

but no way montreal fans would agree to this as they think serggy is the next coming of jesus. (yes they highly overrate him)

value probably is close and this would be a trade that wouldn't happen.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
lol @ Leafs fans saying no to this.

but no way montreal fans would agree to this as they think serggy is the next coming of jesus. (yes they highly overrate him)

Pretty sure they see him as the guy who'll replace Markov, which is reasonable.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
During his Philly days JVR was a beast come playoff time.

7 goals in 11 games in 10-11
and PPG in 12-13.

Just sayin.

edit: actually wait 12-13 was with the Leafs, my bad.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Montreal/Toronto rivalry isn't what it was but I doubt either team does this deal, a deal that would help the other team a lot.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
During his Philly days JVR was a beast come playoff time.

7 goals in 11 games in 10-11
and PPG in 12-13.

Just sayin.

He'll also be UFA after next year, he's playing wing and he's as one dimensional as they come. Leafs fans are overrating JVR's value to the point that it's no longer funny.

Just sayin.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
If I was a team that was contenders now you have to think about. Nothing's garunteed about winning a cup with JVR, and serg panning out is garunteed. Just depends on what you value more.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
habs reaction to this thread in a nutshell:
no.gif

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Forget JVR this year. He's lazy and we'll have to lose someone else during the expansion draft.

We need rentals.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I would think Montreal says no but we'll see how badly they want to win this year. My thoughts are that their window is closing but I could be wrong.

It is I feel we start making deals like sergachev for JVR. Him and Juulsen are studs and going to be the back bone of our defense for years to come.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
The Montreal/Toronto rivalry isn't what it was but I doubt either team does this deal, a deal that would help the other team a lot.

12 straight. There's no rivalry. Just leafs fans grasping desperately for relevance. I get more riled up playing Ottawa ffs. Lol. Boston is the enemy. Always has been. Always will be. I don't even know when habs leafs met in playoffs :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad