Proposal: Jakub Vrana for a draft pick

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What contending team would he crack the top 6? He’s a liability on defense and a true contender wouldn’t get best value for Jake because he’ll be glued to the bench all third period when a team sits on a lead. IMO he needs a real situation with a team who invests in him or else he’s just going to be a Duclair or Grabner type. Is that worth a first? Maybe. He’s about to be paid like a first liner.
Edmonton
Toronto prior to Foligno
Boston
NYI prior to Palmieri
Pittsburgh
Florida
Arizona and Nashville depending on what you consider a Contender

So to answering your question... Quite a few

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
vrana playing on a stacked washington team, AA playing on a garbage detroit team.....
With like 3mins more a game of ice time... 246mins more a season. That's like an extra 16 games worth of icetime over a full year...

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
For a guy who had 52 in 69 last year? Way higher I'd hope.
I was more offering from what I would be willing to deal from chicago's end :)

I don't think I would justify roughly a top 15ish pick for Vrana. LW is arguably the least valuable position on the ice and he has some warts to him. He's got good, not great numbers but also playing on a loaded team with some sheltered min. don't think it will be translatable everywhere

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I was more offering from what I would be willing to deal from chicago's end :)

I don't think I would justify roughly a top 15ish pick for Vrana. LW is arguably the least valuable position on the ice and he has some warts to him. He's got good, not great numbers but also playing on a loaded team with some sheltered min. don't think it will be translatable everywhere
What exactly makes LW less valuable than RW?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Edmonton
Toronto prior to Foligno
Boston
NYI prior to Palmieri
Pittsburgh
Florida
Arizona and Nashville depending on what you consider a Contender

So to answering your question... Quite a few

I would love it if any of these teams sat a hungry player that was tough to play against for my favorite team the Capitals to endlessly possess the puck in the offensive zone. Why does everyone assume he won’t get benched again with the 4th consecutive coaching staff? You’re seriously banking on this being a wake up call.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I would love it if any of these teams sat a hungry player that was tough to play against for my favorite team the Capitals to endlessly possess the puck in the offensive zone. Why does everyone assume he won’t get benched again with the 4th consecutive coaching staff? Your seriously banking on this being a wake up call.
Doesn't change hes produced like a very good top 6 player for 3 years now. You do realize the guy you traded him for has been benched often too, yes?

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Doesn't change hes produced like a very good top 6 player for 3 years now. You do realize the guy you traded him for has been benched often too, yes?
I’m aware. I saw a dozen subtle little plays last night of Mantha protecting the puck and making safe plays to exit the zone.
One of these guys has to lace up his skates next to a few locks for the hall and that I will bank on for motivation.

Jake is a fine offensive player. Your team will get scored on if he touches the ice in the third period of a meaningful game. He’s been a bit immature as well on a team with championship aspirations. It’s not like the Caps haven’t been counting on him. He’s a luxury player and Mantha is an upgrade in all areas of the game except what speed? Real speed is when a team passes the puck up the ice with pace. Can’t do much of that if we’re turning it over with Vrana.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don’t think Vrana has the value that people are giving him.

Player A, 25 years old: 294 GP, 83 goals, 71 assists , 0.52 PPG

Player B: 25 years old: 284 GP, 76 goals, 81 assists, 0.55 PPG

Excellent skater who’s calling card is scoring on the rush and possesses a plus shot. Even strength G per 60 numbers are fantastic, but consistently gets limited minutes. Has had consistency and defensive issues through the years which has caused benchings and the limited ice time.

Player A is Athanasiou at the time he was traded from Detroit, Player B is Vrana. The description fits both of them
This is a good point but a bit misleading. Athanasiou was trending up and has seemed to have. Flatlined as a decent player and is on his 6th season. Vrana is on his 5th season, plus his first season he only played 20 some games and has steadily improved every season. So while the total numbers are close, one player appears to be improving and the other not. This comes back to the whole development isn’t linear point.

Reactions: Czechboy

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
What contending team would he crack the top 6? He’s a liability on defense and a true contender wouldn’t get best value for Jake because he’ll be glued to the bench all third period when a team sits on a lead. IMO he needs a real situation with a team who invests in him or else he’s just going to be a Duclair or Grabner type. Is that worth a first? Maybe. He’s about to be paid like a first liner.
He'd be in the top 6 for the Oilers and they're in/about to be in their contention window. Seems like a decent fit. They could offer their first (late teens range) and some salary back for him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m aware. I saw a dozen subtle little plays last night of Mantha protecting the puck and making safe plays to exit the zone.
One of these guys has to lace up his skates next to a few locks for the hall and that I will bank on for motivation.

Jake is a fine offensive player. Your team will get scored on if he touches the ice in the third period of a meaningful game. He’s been a bit immature as well on a team with championship aspirations. It’s not like the Caps haven’t been counting on him. He’s a luxury player and Mantha is an upgrade in all areas of the game except what speed? Real speed is when a team passes the puck up the ice with pace. Can’t do much of that if we’re turning it over with Vrana.
We get youre upset your team overpaid but I answered your question. Hes s top 6 on many Contenders

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
We get youre upset your team overpaid but I answered your question. Hes s top 6 on many Contenders

Except he’s not. He’s currently top 6 on a very bad team. His attitude and poor play earned him a trip to Siberia.Nobody cares about an overpayment. I enjoyed every second of last night.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except he’s not. He’s currently top 6 on a very bad team. His attitude and poor play earned him a trip to Siberia.Nobody cares about an overpayment. I enjoyed every second of last night.
You have posters of other comtenders also stating he would be top 6 in their team. Youre undeniably wrong here.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You have posters of other comtenders also stating he would be top 6 in their team. Youre undeniably wrong here.
He'd start there but Vrana will lose favor and fast. If he couldn't' hold that spot on the Caps it's only going to get tougher.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
The oilers would do it at the deadline but IMO no way they put up a mid to early first in the offseason and still have to pay him. I’m not sure it helps the oil win a cup either. Why not keep JP in their lineup if they didn’t care about winning hockey. You can only have so many finesse speedy guys who make piss poor decisions and usually the more you have out there you won’t like the final standings.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He is a 20-goal-scorer. 15th OA easily. Lower than that isn't likely to land you an equal player. 10-15 overall seems fair.

You think a 20 goal scorer who wants to make $6m a year is worth a 10th-15th OA? That's like saying trading him for Holloway. No way in hell lol. His value is much closer to AA (which was a bad trade per most Oiler fans but Vrana would actually be worth it) as people above have said. He is worth a late first but generally those teams are pushed to the cap and wouldn't be able to afford him unless they are also dumping some cap which doesn't make the value 1:1 anymore

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
This is a good point but a bit misleading. Athanasiou was trending up and has seemed to have. Flatlined as a decent player and is on his 6th season. Vrana is on his 5th season, plus his first season he only played 20 some games and has steadily improved every season. So while the total numbers are close, one player appears to be improving and the other not. This comes back to the whole development isn’t linear point.

This is where both players were when they were traded.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Vrana: - averaging between 14-15mins
47 in 82
52 in 69
25 in 39

Vs
AA averaging between 16-18mins
33 in 71
54 in 76
24 in 46

Quite obvious who was the better player

No clue where you are getting your stats from.

Vrana averaged 13:41 in his time in Washington
AA averaged 14:44 in his time in Detroit.

You can’t just make up statistics to fit your narrative.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No clue where you are getting your stats from.

Vrana averaged 13:41 in his time in Washington
AA averaged 14:44 in his time in Detroit.

You can’t just make up statistics to fit your narrative.
Those three seasons I quoted. Their ice time as rookies is entirely irrelevant. Shouldnt be that hard to understand but here I'll help: Andreas Athanasiou Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Maybe take your own advice and don't make things up?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I don’t think Vrana has the value that people are giving him.

Player A, 25 years old: 294 GP, 83 goals, 71 assists , 0.52 PPG

Player B: 25 years old: 284 GP, 76 goals, 81 assists, 0.55 PPG

Excellent skater who’s calling card is scoring on the rush and possesses a plus shot. Even strength G per 60 numbers are fantastic, but consistently gets limited minutes. Has had consistency and defensive issues through the years which has caused benchings and the limited ice time.

Player A is Athanasiou at the time he was traded from Detroit, Player B is Vrana. The description fits both of them
lets add mantha :
300 games 96 goals 89 assists (with every power play minute coach could give him)

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Those three seasons I quoted. Their ice time as rookies is entirely irrelevant. Shouldnt be that hard to understand but here I'll help: Andreas Athanasiou Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Maybe take your own advice and don't make things up?

AA never averaged 17 minutes or more in any season in Detroit. Was above 16 the final two. Again, I’m simply posting statistics. Simply put, AA averaged just over a minute more a game than Vrana in their times in Detroit/Washington. Saying 16-18 minutes of average ice time for a guy who never hit 17 minutes is disingenuous

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Edmonton’s 1st 2021 + Edmonton’s 5th 2022 if he agreed to a fair contract ahead of time

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1