Proposal: Jakub Vrana for a draft pick

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'd say 15th overall.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
AA turns 27 in 4 months, Vrana turned 25, 2 months ago.

AA hits 20 once and 30 once in adjusted goals. Vrana has 24, 30, and 22(this season).

Vrana is better than AA, not a comparison. Vrana stays healthy and that is why the games are similar despite AA's additional season.

Either way, if I could trust RBA to play him enough with his defensive issues, I would give up a pick + for an extended Vrana too put that speed in Carolina.

The numbers are from when AA was traded at the deadline at 25

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What contending team would he crack the top 6?
He's won the Stanley Cup.... so I think a lot of contending teams could use him in Top 6. I'm an Oil fan and he'd immediately be our 1LW. However, we are not a true contender. I think he would've gone instantly to the spot Hall is now with Krejci in Boston and done very well. They are a true contender.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think considering the cap implications as well
If I think he's the perfect fit/missing piece for my team I could see going up to a pick in the 15-20 range.

If I'm just hoping he will be better with more opportunity (similar to Burakovsky), I probably wouldn't go much earlier than #25 and likely would try to acquire an early 2nd rounder to offer if I could before opening with that.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Considering the premise of this thread is to determine the value in a single pick (doesn’t have to belong to NJ) I’m merely questioning the thought process of how they determined that pick. I even said that NJ’s first rounder is probably off the table nor do we know where your 2022 pick will fall.

Alright, fair enough.

We don't know where 2022 pick will fall but based on the previous seasons, sadly, we have an educated guess.

Regarding the thought process, I think it's simply the best pick, other than our own, that we can offer but as other posters said it's not enough for Detroit to accept that.

Reactions: BStinson

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Rest of the season and his contract will heavily influence his value. Right now, 2 2nds.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
He's won the Stanley Cup.... so I think a lot of contending teams could use him in Top 6. I'm an Oil fan and he'd immediately be our 1LW. However, we are not a true contender. I think he would've gone instantly to the spot Hall is now with Krejci in Boston and done very well. They are a true contender.
I think a lot of teams would love to have the luxury of a player with Vrana’ s skill set to deploy when needed. The truth is The Caps were counting on Jake to step up when they lost Burakovsky. He was even getting minutes on the top power play and not producing.
So a contender? Pittsburgh maybe. He’s not Guentzel and they can deploy Kapanen to do the same thing. Tampa...he might be scratched on that roster. My point is he is unreliable for the top teams and IMO he will make a career out of floating for bubble playoff teams unless he learns to commit to a complete game.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I haven't watched him enough this year to know, but I do know that Edmonton needs a top six winger, has some cap space, but doesn't have a 2nd round pick to offer until next year. I would offer that pick and something else for Vrana. I'm sure others will pay more. I would want to know his salary requests first though. If he wants a massive overpayment, I'd pass. We have too many overpaid depth players already, we can't take on another, even if he would be our 4th best forward.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think a lot of teams would love to have the luxury of a player with Vrana’ s skill set to deploy when needed. The truth is The Caps were counting on Jake to step up when they lost Burakovsky. He was even getting minutes on the top power play and not producing.
So a contender? Pittsburgh maybe. He’s not Guentzel and they can deploy Kapanen to do the same thing. Tampa...he might be scratched on that roster. My point is he is unreliable for the top teams and IMO he will make a career out of floating for bubble playoff teams unless he learns to commit to a complete game.
So he already has a Stanley Cup so he's already done better than floating on bubble teams. I see your point but I disagree. I don't follow Tampa but do they have LWer or 2 I'm not familiar with? Maybe someone NHL has as a C that plays wing instead (eg. RNH plays LW for the Oil but it probably says he is a C).

Otherwise, I feel confident that he can crack this LW.. he currently has more points and goals than Killorn in less games.

upload_2021-4-14_12-53-38.png

Regarding complete game.. I doubt he'll ever get one. He's a scorer and more 1 dimensional... Kessel, Laine... in that ilk but not as good. I'd love if he became a more complete player and your point is valid there.. I doubt it'll happen though.

Reactions: Capathetic

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yes no doubt that playing with backstrom anybody could rack up 25g . ive never seen beyond youtube since trade . but the guys got wheels and a wicked wrist shot , exciting player .

He is fast and can shoot on the run. He is not nearly as good in a set piece offensive situation and at least in the Caps scheme didnt bring skills to the power play. Of more concern is that he has clashed with the last 2 coaching staffs and Trotz before them scratched him for effort.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
So he already has a Stanley Cup so he's already done better than floating on bubble teams. I see your point but I disagree. I don't follow Tampa but do they have LWer or 2 I'm not familiar with? Maybe someone NHL has as a C that plays wing instead (eg. RNH plays LW for the Oil but it probably says he is a C).

Otherwise, I feel confident that he can crack this LW.. he currently has more points and goals than Killorn in less games.

View attachment 422267

Regarding complete game.. I doubt he'll ever get one. He's a scorer and more 1 dimensional... Kessel, Laine... in that ilk but not as good. I'd love if he became a more complete player and your point is valid there.. I doubt it'll happen though.

He would fit well in many top six teams sure but what I said was more of an indicator that contending teams pretty much have guys that score. The reason the Caps moved him is because they can’t keep it out of their net as long as he’s turning pucks over and then not even caring at all to stop the player who took the puck from him.

I like Vrana and wish he didn’t have to go. I also think every team has players like him already and I wouldn’t give up a top 25 pick for him when he needs to be paid over 5 million a year when he’s not better than the current top 6 in Washington. Maybe other teams have room and can take that on. Good luck to them if they feel that Vrana can contribute to another cup.

Reactions: Czechboy

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
He wont have to worry about his abysmal playoff performances anymore playing on Redwangs

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Kapanen got 15th+Hallinder last year and Vrana is better than 2020 Kapanen (it's closer now with kap being better on the pens)

Rutherford overpaid but still if you take out Hallinder (B prospect) I'd say a pick in the 12-18th range is his value

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s worth a mid to late first but I’d hope Detroit wouldn’t trade him. He could equal Mantha’s past production, he likely fits in really well with the current team and will grow with them.

Mantha could blow up and it’ll be a very good trade for both teams. Watched Mantha play against the Canes this season and it seemed he was going backwards.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
In my opinion it depends on the draft year. If we are talking this year I’d say 10-15 because this is a weaker draft year. If we are talking 2022 draft, I’d say closer to 15-20. I don’t think anyone would make that trade though. Detroit needs young/youngish proven NHL talent rather than another prospect and for a majority of teams in that range, Vrana isn’t proven enough to give up those picks.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
a third of Vrana’s goals came last year. Weird point to make for someone who was traded at 25
Vrana: - averaging between 14-15mins
47 in 82
52 in 69
25 in 39

Vs
AA averaging between 16-17mins
33 in 71
54 in 76
24 in 46

Quite obvious who was the better player

Last edited:

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Vrana: - averaging between 14-15mins
47 in 82
52 in 69
25 in 39

Vs
AA averaging between 16-18mins
33 in 71
54 in 76
24 in 46

Quite obvious who was the better player
vrana playing on a stacked washington team, AA playing on a garbage detroit team.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad