Proposal: Jakub Vrana for a draft pick

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
AA never averaged 17 minutes or more in any season in Detroit. Was above 16 the final two. Again, I’m simply posting statistics. Simply put, AA averaged just over a minute more a game than Vrana in their times in Detroit/Washington. Saying 16-18 minutes of average ice time for a guy who never hit 17 minutes is disingenuous
I meant 16-17, corrected that already. In the last 3 seasons (only thing relevant) he always played 2mins more a game. That is not a small amount. No idea why you keep mentioning their rookie seasons like it means anything at all.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
This is where both players were when they were traded.
Then it’s less relevant cause you’re ignoring the trajectory that AA has taken since. He was viewed much higher at that time. Like I said, some players plateau and some keep progressing. Vrana has progressed past where AA was at that time. Not saying he’s some superstar or anything but he’s more valuable than AA

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Then it’s less relevant cause you’re ignoring the trajectory that AA has taken since. He was viewed much higher at that time. Like I said, some players plateau and some keep progressing. Vrana has progressed past where AA was at that time. Not saying he’s some superstar or anything but he’s more valuable than AA
If Vrana were to come to Detroit and also "flatline" like you describe Athanasiou.... how is that not exactly the same thing? Vrana is currently "trending up" but there's no guarantee that he will continue, just like there was no guarantee with Athanasiou. In fact most Caps fans are telling you he's already plateauing right now, and should have already taken bigger steps forward this year.

Reactions: txpd

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If Vrana were to come to Detroit and also "flatline" like you describe Athanasiou.... how is that not exactly the same thing? Vrana is currently "trending up" but there's no guarantee that he will continue, just like there was no guarantee with Athanasiou. In fact most Caps fans are telling you he's already plateauing right now, and should have already taken bigger steps forward this year.
Of course there’s no guarantee. Theres no guarantee McDavid is this good next year either. All you can do is look at what the player has done and try to extrapolate that. He may very well flatline, in which case you re evaluate and move on. But you don’t just take a player that’s trending up and assume they’ll flatline for no reason.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Of course there’s no guarantee. Theres no guarantee McDavid is this good next year either. All you can do is look at what the player has done and try to extrapolate that. He may very well flatline, in which case you re evaluate and move on. But you don’t just take a player that’s trending up and assume they’ll flatline for no reason.
You're wanting this two different ways.
This is a good point but a bit misleading. Athanasiou was trending up and has seemed to have. Flatlined as a decent player and is on his 6th season. Vrana is on his 5th season, plus his first season he only played 20 some games and has steadily improved every season. So while the total numbers are close, one player appears to be improving and the other not. This comes back to the whole development isn’t linear point.

You're looking at one guy, post-move with hindsight and how he "flatlined" and then calling the scenarios different when they only thing that makes them different is that Athanasiou was already traded, and we know what happened. Pretty sure Wings fans were even saying similar things about Athanasiou while everyone was trying to extrapolate how many goals he was going to score with the Oilers.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You're wanting this two different ways.

You're looking at one guy, post-move with hindsight and how he "flatlined" and then calling the scenarios different when they only thing that makes them different is that Athanasiou was already traded, and we know what happened. Pretty sure Wings fans were even saying similar things about Athanasiou while everyone was trying to extrapolate how many goals he was going to score with the Oilers.
How am I looking at it 2 different ways when all I’m saying is look at what each player has actually done? You’re the one saying look at one one player did and imagine the next player doing the same thing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad