Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | Jake It Or Break It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
He looks about how I expected he would this year, maybe even a little better. I mean, we're talking about a guy who has made zero progress since being drafted and who couldn't even crack 20 points in the AHL last season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I would be playing him more. A lot more. They've tried managing his minutes or just flat out not playing him and nothing seems to be working. It's time to play him a lot and see what they really have in him. Not like it's going to change the position the team is in. I know he's 21 but in today's game he's losing valuable time. It is really looking like, at 6th, he was a bust of a pick... but he hasn't been managed very well either.

Reactions: Jyrki21

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
He looks about how I expected he would this year, maybe even a little better. I mean, we're talking about a guy who has made zero progress since being drafted and who couldn't even crack 20 points in the AHL last season.
Pretty much. I don't see how anyone could be surprised or let down by Jake given how poorly his last season went.

For all of the offseason bluster about how great of shape he was in and how Travis Green turned around his game, in the end he looks like the same old Virtanen. On pace for nearly identical point totals as his rookie season.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Pretty much. I don't see how anyone could be surprised or let down by Jake given how poorly his last season went.

For all of the offseason bluster about how great of shape he was in and how Travis Green turned around his game, in the end he looks like the same old Virtanen. On pace for nearly identical point totals as his rookie season.

Seriously. There was nothing that he has done anywhere near consistently enough last year or this year that he deserves a long leash at all.

You would think if anything would wake him up it would be a trip the AHL most of the year.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
He's 100% a bust. Knew it from the moment he was drafted. Has developed horribly and the shoulder injury definitely didn't help.

I'm sick of Green and his supposed way of "developing" virtanen. Virtanen was rushed in to the league and looked out of place, scored at a 0.24ppg pace and was sent down to the AHL the following year.

Green had all year working with Jake in the AHL and supposedly revamped his game, and this year Jake is on a 0.23ppg pace. OMG what an amazing developmental coach. I never want to hear anyone say how Green is somehow good at developing young players. Who the hell has green actually developed?

Knew he was a moron when he scratched boeser for being "tired" in the start of the season.

Reactions: Canucks1096

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He's 100% a bust. Knew it from the moment he was drafted. Has developed horribly and the shoulder injury definitely didn't help.

I'm sick of Green and his supposed way of "developing" virtanen. Virtanen was rushed in to the league and looked out of place, scored at a 0.24ppg pace and was sent down to the AHL the following year.

Green had all year working with Jake in the AHL and supposedly revamped his game, and this year Jake is on a 0.23ppg pace. OMG what an amazing developmental coach. I never want to hear anyone say how Green is somehow good at developing young players. Who the hell has green actually developed?

Knew he was a moron when he scratched boeser for being "tired" in the start of the season.

The work with Jake at the AHL level that made him a 19-point NHL as a 6th overall pick, no less.

Virtanen hasn't produced at an acceptable level since his draft year IMO. And even then just going 70 points in 70 games isn't that spectacular.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Seriously. There was nothing that he has done anywhere near consistently enough last year or this year that he deserves a long leash at all.

You would think if anything would wake him up it would be a trip the AHL most of the year.

Send him to the ECHL.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So perhaps an unpopular opinion but if I were a veteran employee working in a company that I respected and management put a young guy in my team; I wouldn't have any problems adjusting my work style to suit the young guy because 'I'm' the veteran.

But if I didn't respect the company I worked in and this happened then I'd just do what I normally do and let the young guy sink or swim.

Human nature.
# of times this poster has been a vet employee at a company and had a young guy put on his immediate team =< 0.

Speaking as someone who actually has been the vet dealing with young guys coming aboard the team, the young guys shut the f*** up and do what they're told. I know how to work, you don't. You just got here. I've been here forever. Chances are I created the procedures you're going to have to learn to follow, so do what the f*** I say. Yes, you're brimming over with youthful enthusiasm. I can see that. I still don't care. First you learn the system, learn to replicate what the end result is, learn what your teammates are expecting you to do, and learn to play your part. Once you can do that, once you've mastered what I have to teach you to my satisfaction, then you can start adding your own ideas and working your way. Until then, you learn by the numbers like everyone else. I'm not here to nurture the warm, creamy goodness of your individuality. I'm here to get you into shape. And every once in a while, send you out to get donuts.

Don't respect me? Bye. Later skater. Plenty more where you came from.

^^^^That's how it works in the real world.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
# of times this poster has been a vet employee at a company and had a young guy put on his immediate team =< 0.

Speaking as someone who actually has been the vet dealing with young guys coming aboard the team, the young guys shut the **** up and do what they're told. I know how to work, you don't. You just got here. I've been here forever. Chances are I created the procedures you're going to have to learn to follow, so do what the **** I say. Yes, you're brimming over with youthful enthusiasm. I can see that. I still don't care. First you learn the system, learn to replicate what the end result is, learn what your teammates are expecting you to do, and learn to play your part. Once you can do that, once you've mastered what I have to teach you to my satisfaction, then you can start adding your own ideas and working your way. Until then, you learn by the numbers like everyone else. I'm not here to nurture the warm, creamy goodness of your individuality. I'm here to get you into shape. And every once in a while, send you out to get donuts.

Heh.

There really is little more irritating than someone brand new coming up with all sorts of asinine ideas of how they think things should work that are borne almost entirely out of ignorance and inexperience.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah that’s a really dumb

Jakes had trouble creating chemistry with linemates going back to Calgary, probably before that too

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Speaking as someone who actually has been the vet dealing with young guys coming aboard the team, the young guys shut the **** up and do what they're told. I know how to work, you don't. You just got here. I've been here forever. Chances are I created the procedures you're going to have to learn to follow, so do what the **** I say. Yes, you're brimming over with youthful enthusiasm. I can see that. I still don't care. First you learn the system, learn to replicate what the end result is, learn what your teammates are expecting you to do, and learn to play your part. Once you can do that, once you've mastered what I have to teach you to my satisfaction, then you can start adding your own ideas and working your way. Until then, you learn by the numbers like everyone else. I'm not here to nurture the warm, creamy goodness of your individuality. I'm here to get you into shape. And every once in a while, send you out to get donuts.

Yeah buddy.. you seem to really know how the world works.

Your way or the highway right?

Yeah. Sounds like an awesome strategy.

Sounds like the Torts strategy and we all know how great a coach Torts is.

You keep on keeping on alright?

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Why would you want your veterans to play more like Virtanen?

Because

1. If you throw Jake in the deep end, he's going to drown. He's not going to magically figure it out on his own like Horvat and Boeser. Newsflash, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
  2. We want him to succeed.... right guis? Right? So I'm assuming that everyone actually does want to see him succeed or am I once again wasting my time here?
Ahh forget it. I honestly don't know if you guys are actually interested in discussion or interested in hearing your own BS repeated back to you.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Last year's coach of the year?

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Because

1. If you throw Jake in the deep end, he's going to drown. He's not going to magically figure it out on his own like Horvat and Boeser. Newsflash, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
  2. We want him to succeed.... right guis? Right? So I'm assuming that everyone actually does want to see him succeed or am I once again wasting my time here?
Ahh forget it. I honestly don't know if you guys are actually interested in discussion or interested in hearing your own BS repeated back to you.
what’s there to discuss

Hey change your game that’s kept you in the nhl because we drafted a plug with no hockey sense

Does that make sense? Again this kid hasn’t built chemistry with anyone going back to junior.

Even if they did change their games as you suggest what’s it matter? Hes not using his tools as is anyways

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
what’s there to discuss

Hey change your game that’s kept you in the nhl because we drafted a plug with no hockey sense

Does that make sense? Again this kid hasn’t built chemistry with anyone going back to junior.

Even if they did change their games as you suggest what’s it matter? Hes not using his tools as is anyways

Put on your coaching hat.

It's your job to develop Jake.

What do you do?

PS. You can't send him down to Utica.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Last year's coach of the year?

Sure did a bang up job for us in 2013-14... right?

You remember Torts coached our team right?

Or maybe you don't.

XxSpXfG.gif

You must be a new Canuck fan.

Google the 13-14 Canuck season. It was a bit of a tire fire.

Did you know Luongo used to be our goaltender as well?

True story.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Sure did a bang up job for us in 2013-14... right?

You remember Torts coached our team right?

Or maybe you don't.

XxSpXfG.gif

You must be a new Canuck fan.

Google the 13-14 Canuck season. It was a bit of a tire fire.

Did you know Luongo used to be our goaltender as well?

True story.

Wow, and to think you once called me arrogant.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

:laugh:

What are you, 12? And seriously, what has Virtanen done to earn the benefit of the doubt? At some point he has to perform. It's that simple. Has he done that?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Just a tip. Don't resort to ad hominems... You've done it countless amounts of times here and it only makes you look weak.

Argue the opinion, don't attack the poster.

You're pretty much saying to PC, 'I don't know how to refute your strategy, so I'm going to try and discredit YOU instead of your argument.'

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Just a tip. Don't resort to ad hominems... You've done it countless amounts of times here and it only makes you look weak.

Argue the opinion, don't attack the poster.

You're pretty much saying to PC, 'I don't know how to refute your strategy, so I'm going to try and discredit YOU instead of your argument.'
Actually no. I have not insulted PC whatsoever.

Only the absoluteness of his position.

Thanks for your input though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad