Player Discussion Jake Virtanen | Jake It Or Break It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
So I should be worried that my wife gets all squirmy watching Boeser do post-game interviews?

Not sure but my wife has just informed me that I need to make a decision between her and this hockey site I keep posting on

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Of course he would. You see the roster?
He was a 2nd unit guy down the stretch.

Color me shocked you are expressing doubt... in a Virtanen thread.

Nothing wrong with expressing doubt over something a player has never done before.

If I said Horvat was gonna score 40 goals next year would it make you a hater to have doubt over my prediction?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Oh boy.. give you additional financial reason to cheer against Virtanen?
I think you're good.

I'm just hoping he can stay healthy and get close to that shooting rate and percentage.

Is that a no?

Go ahead and read some of my posts about Virtanen's season by the way. I said he had a fantastic year and was disappointed that the team didn't do more to highlight him as one of the year's bright spots.

But baseless ad hominem attacks are fun!

I guess you don't truly believe he will get to 200 shots. Makes sense, since nobody but Daniel has gotten there in like 5 years. It's sad to me that people can't stay on topic and just jump to ad hominems when they're not comfortable answering direct questions.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not sure but my wife has just informed me that I need to make a decision between her and this hockey site I keep posting on
Really?...tell her it could be worse....you could be visiting speed dating sites instead of HF.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
They do?

Tampa

- Brayden Point straight from junior to NHL at age 20.

- Nikita Kucherov in NHL at 20 after only 20 AHL games.

- Vasilevskiy in NHL at 20 and handed #1 job at age 22 (same age Demko was last year).

- Sergachev in NHL at age 19 scoring 40 points.

- Drouin and Connolly (now traded) both in NHL at 19.

Winnipeg :

- Patrik Laine in NHL at 18.

- Nik Ehlers in NHL at 19.

- Kyle Connor in NHL at 19, hiccuped, sent to AHL for 50 games and then NHL regular at 20.

- Jack Roslovic in AHL as an underage player, promoted and NHL regular at 20.

- Mark Scheifele made NHL team out of camp at 18 and 19, sent back to junior, NHL regular at 20.

I don't see a lot of 'marinating' here. Pretty much all their top picks and key guys were in the NHL as regulars at 19 or 20 with very little AHL seasoning.

Please stop fact bullying the JB fanboys.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't know how many posters are aware of it, but Jake Virtanen is exactly 36 days older than Adam Gaudette....always surprises me how coming out of college hockey totally changes the perceptions of a player.

If Virtanen had spent two years in the NCAA; one development season in Utica; and then came up and did what he did during the last 20 games of this season, many posters on this thread would be doing handsprings. It's little wonder that many parents want their gifted hockey sons to play Tier II junior and then get a hockey scholarship to the U.S., rather than ride the buses in the WHL

Coming out of Major Junior, if you're not lighting it up in the NHL by your 20th birthday, you're well on your way to being a draft 'bust'.

Reactions: Literally

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Regarding “obnoxious”. You do realize that this goes both ways. It’s quite obnoxious to deride those who wish to be open minded with Jake developing. This seems to offend the opposite view, forcing the opposite view to ridicule the optimistic. As you know, and I’m sure you do, this is very common around here. Surprising you of all people Canafan do not see it.

This.........yes this.......

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Don't know how many posters are aware of it, but Jake Virtanen is exactly 36 days older than Adam Gaudette....always surprises me how coming out of college hockey totally changes the perceptions of a player.

If Virtanen had spent two years in the NCAA; one development season in Utica; and then came up and did what he did during the last 20 games of this season, many posters on this thread would be doing handsprings. It's little wonder that many parents want their gifted hockey sons to play Tier II junior and then get a hockey scholarship to the U.S., rather than ride the buses in the WHL

Coming out of Major Junior, if you're not lighting it up in the NHL by your 20th birthday, you're well on your way to being a draft 'bust'.

Yeah, if Virtanen had consistently improved and excelled at every step of the way over the past years, culminating in being named the best player in his league, people would certainly be pleased.

I'd also be happy if he had come to my house and given me a pretzel, but that didn't happen either.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It's almost like Jake was a top ten pick projected to be a top line forward and gaudette was a fifth round pick projected to be a 3C at best.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
so most of you want him to fail? a lot of you seem happy that he is struggling even going out of your way to find facts of him being a bust factor, so bust confirmed?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
so most of you want him to fail? a lot of you seem happy that he is struggling even going out of your way to find facts of him being a bust factor, so bust confirmed?

Commenting on a discussion board that he’s been a disappointment and unlikely to “be a beast” next season isn’t the same thing as wanting him to fail.

But I know you’ll never understand that so carry on.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

I think most of us want him to succeed. There is nothing wrong with knowing the facts and the probabilities, and seeing how the facts and probabilities apply to specific players, to make projections. Not only with Canucks prospects, but all prospects.

It is not looking good for Virtanen to be a top line player. I wouldn't bet on it.

Why is ignorance better?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think most of us want him to succeed.

a lot of you seem to want the opposite to happen. even argue against ones who someone try to find any positives in his recent play.

Virtanen to be a top line player.

I personally think any Canuck fan who thinks he can still be one shouldn't bank on it, but what is the point of talking about this over and over and over again? Heck even Isles fans are not as had on Dal Cole, why are we continuously trashing Virtanen?

It looks like this is the first time a lot of you is seeing a top 10 pick not work out, when this happens a lot. so bust confirmed? yes/no answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad