Speculation: Jake Guentzel: Lets have at it

Jake Guentzel:

• Total voters

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I just don't know who we would go for in a trade?

A guy like Marner I'd do in a second. Tkachuk as of a couple years ago - which was heavily debated here and look how that turned up...not that it was ever discussed behind the scenes. But with no contract what the F is his value?

I voted new contract only because he's one of the few that can get hot on this team and actually score. It would be absolute diarrhea to watch this team trade for another Rakell type for Sid to feed only to miss the cage. But that contract has got to be limiting. He sorta missed the buck on a final ginormous payday and is probably going to have to work overtime for the 7th or 8th year.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think the time for a trade was probably last year, but even now, I'd sell relatively early on Jake just because I think you get a better return.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think the best overall option is:

Trade Jake to a team with salary retained, take back a UFA for cap purposes, get a young prospect, and a 2025 1st. One that was thrown out in the trade forum: Marchment, Mavrik Bourque, 1st.

Then you look to resign him on July 1st at a contract that is comparable to his performance. I could still see a 5-6yr x $7mil deal. He's still scoring and he's still Sid's wing. This route maximizes assets for the team now and moving forward.

With some fat coming off and the cap going up you can make:
Jake-Sid-Rust
Smith-Malkin-Rakell
Marchment-Eller-Prospect
Nieto-Accari-DOC

would easy enough and the 3rd line certainly gives you a stronger punch.

I think the time for a trade was probably last year, but even now, I'd sell relatively early on Jake just because I think you get a better return.
Disagree, I think teams on the edge wanting to go over the top at the TDL will pay more. Unless there is a major injury to a major wing and a team needs a replacement ala Zucker to Pit in 2020.

Cap space issues suggest it's better to wait too.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Trade him for the closest thing to Hornqvist we can find. Modern day Neal trade
Pretty much this. We need to use his value while it's still high and use him as a piece to land a shake-up impact trade for a different kind of player.

As it is, Jake's an empty calorie player. He gets his points, but it often seems like it's either in losses or in games where the other team sucks. He never seems to actually come up in tight games.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think you trade Jake for anything but a cap dump to make it work money-wise and a boon of futures. There's no Neal-Hornqvist trade out there that's gonna fix things, and it's pretty obvious that it's time to start getting the building materials for the next chapter of post-Sid hockey. No, they won't be foundation stones just yet, but pretty much everything's important at this point.

I hope Dubas is already working the phones. I'm also pretty confident Jake will just be re-signed and that's that.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
We would be a more succesfull/capable team right now, if Guentzel was replaced with a younger Horny.

I like Guentzel, he has a lot of talent, but at this stage we shouldn’t pay the kind of money he has earned on his next deal.
And we absolutely cannot let him walk. Hence…

Anyway - fire Sully into the Sun first.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
We would be a more succesfull/capable team right now, if Guentzel was replaced with a younger Horny.

I like Guentzel, he has a lot of talent, but at this stage we shouldn’t pay the kind of money he has earned on his next deal.
And we absolutely cannot let him walk. Hence…

Anyway - fire Sully into the Sun first.
Guentzel for Konecny?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If you're hoping to salvage this season, then trading either Guentzel or Rakell now for someone who is, perhaps, a bit grittier for the top six would make sense, if only as a shake-up. This would need to be a "hockey trade" though, where you're basically going 1-for-1.

If you're throwing in the towel on the season, then you may as well wait until closer to the trade deadline in order to try to get a bidding war going, because Guentzel would be one of the top players available for contenders at that point. Especially with retention being an option, it should be possible to get at least a 1st and a good prospect back in return at the deadline for him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I think the correct choice is to really do your due diligence and gauge interest around the league for Jake, and pull the trigger when you find your deal, which likely means closer to the TDL than not.

I don't know that Rakell has any value. Team snagged him for a 2nd and he hasn't exactly been a stud or improved his value since, and now he's locked into a contract for another three years or something. He's the only one who is really movable aside from Jake though, because everybody's gotta have some kinda NTC these days.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I think you have to trade him. With an aging team starved for assets, you can't commit big money to another past their prime player and you can't afford to lose an asset like him for nothing. With his goal scoring track record, you're probably looking at a great return.

A few ideas:

Colorado for 1st + Kovalenko/Ritchie

Detroit for 2nd + Sandin Pellikka

Carolina for 1st + Scott Morrow

Minnesota for 1st Ohgren

Vancouver for 2nd + Hoglander + Lekkerimakki

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think you have to trade him. With an aging team starved for assets, you can't commit big money to another past their prime player and you can't afford to lose an asset like him for nothing. With his goal scoring track record, you're probably looking at a great return.

A few ideas:

Minnesota for 1st Ohgren

Yeah, I think it's gonna come down to Dubas having to find a team that's trying to take the next step toward relevancy/competing, who has been enough recently enough to have some genuine bluechippers they'd part with in order to land a guy with Jake's resume. Any position for the prospect coming back is fine, short of goalie imo.

GMs always get silly at the TDL and especially for guys with Jake's track record. I don't really have any doubt this team could find a package that makes sense for the long term.

I say all this fully expecting them to refuse to accept reality, keep their heads buried in the sand, and re-sign the guy. :laugh: But it's fun to think about.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

A few ideas:

Minnesota for 1st Ohgren

I’d be really disappointed if this is all we get for Jake at 50%.

Almost would prefer not to trade him tbh.

Reactions: Trade

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
First, Jake won't be traded

But I find it hilarious that this coach goes to bat for Jake at every turn considering he doesn't play a lick of defense.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think if this team were to swallow its pride and accept reality, punt on the season, and be willing to retain 50% on Jake, they'd get a king's ransom at the TDL.

But again, I fully expect them to keep desperately pretending they're still relevant, and end up re-signing the dude. Cuz if there's a worst possible avenue to take, they'll always take it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's too early for me to make a determination here. I'm of two minds on this:

1) If we end up rebounding and look like a playoff team in November/December, then re-sign him. There's no point in trading him for a late round first and a shitty prospect if we're looking like a playoff team and that's all we'd get by moving him. If we're still competing at that point, you keep him.

2) If we continue along our current path and look like a team that is going to at best miss the playoffs and at worst be a lottery team, then you absolutely move him by the trade deadline and get what you can. As I mentioned above, the return will suck and it's not going to make an appreciable difference in the rebuild, but if we look like an awful and done team, why would you possibly keep him? You move what assets you can at that point and start trying to rebuild as best you can.

So for me Jake's fate is very much tied into the next month of play

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The coming road trip may signal where this team is. Until dubas has more confirmation on coaching lines and where the holes are, he will act then. He has the core and that is just the reality. Hextall put tickets over roster and maybe that was his direction from ownership. But I do think dubas has to rethink things here with Jake, moving off Rust after next year and maybe others as well.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Jake is 29? Man, he suffered an unfortunate decline early with an ugly injury in a pivotal area (and on the biggest nothing of a play that would alter how he played the game forever).
He only has a year or two before he drops off a cliff unless he has proper line mates (it wont be on the penguins team).

Trade the guy and soon.
But like others said, this organization rarely if ever goes the correct way.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I’d be really disappointed if this is all we get for Jake at 50%.

Almost would prefer not to trade him tbh.
If you expect more than a 1st and a good prospect, I think you're wrong. I'm basing this on Horvat. 1st + Raty + Beauvillier. Horvat doesn't produce like Jake but he was in the midst of a career year, was younger, and plays a premium position.

They didn't do it with Dumo, they're not gonna do it with Jake.
Who, Hextall? When they were in the playoff hunt? Completely different circumstances

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you expect more than a 1st and a good prospect, I think you're wrong. I'm basing this on Horvat. 1st + Raty + Beauvillier. Horvat doesn't produce like Jake but he was in the midst of a career year, was younger, and plays a premium position.

I don’t think Jake and Horvat are equivalents.

We also would be retaining 50% on Jake.

My expectation would be something like a 1st, 2nd, Bourque and Marchment out of Dallas.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad