Injury Report: Jake Gardiner

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He is the Jekyll and Hyde of our team. Nonetheless, he would leave a massive hole on the blueline. Dermott has been great, but the domino effect would just weaken our 3rd pairing.

We need Jake back asap.

Reactions: DarkKnight

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs have little to gain by pushing players through injuries right now, even if they're minor. Makes sense ensure they're healed before they get back into the line up for the playoff run.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Sorry to quote you again, but I just wanted to say that Zaitsev has been bad defensively not only this season, but he was worse last season (but we can attribute that mostly to his ridiculous minutes).

The thing that kept him in my mind as a "top-4 defenseman" was how he was arguably the best offensive defenseman on the team last year (with a brutal transition game). Everything except his defense has gotten worse this season.

Tableau Public

I've seen a number of stats that suggest he's horrible defensively by the analytical community, dating back to last year but part of that is systemic and part of that is circumstantial IMO. That's why I don't think analytics is a great take on Zaitsev as I mentioned earlier.

1) The Leafs d-men give the blue-line up, they never stand the line- fact (systemic? possibly but they certainly don't trap at the neutral zone/blue-line like we routinely see other teams do)......in fact, they always give the entry cleanly at the blue-line most of the time (if the opposing player has any speed through the neutral zone at all).

2) His best skillset, as you say, is as a PMD, but he's often the last person back/support d-man in that Gardiner pairing which shouldn't be favourable for a lot of the metrics we've seen. Particularly when your measuring any type of metric that accounts for exiting out of his own end, entering the opposition's blue-line (which is genuinely rare for a guy like Zaits).

Overall, I don't think he's nearly as horrific as the metrics say, and he's not great. He's kind of in a transition year, and certainly a #4D right now with upside. I think a guy like Zaitsev (personally) is a cautionary tale for analytics, and I'm generally pro-analytics, certainly for most team-wide measurements. But a lot of the defensive metrics like allowing entry denials, etc at the blue-line are pure grey-area.

Digging deeper, it's clear Zaits anchoring the PK last year is sort of reminiscent of Rielly last year (taken off the PP, anchored the PK)....sort of that developmental, dog-house year. I wouldn't say he's a finished product yet so there's room for optimism.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

My bad. Barring an injury Mcelhinney likely only has 4 more starts the rest of the year.
2/18 vs DET
2/27 vs FLA
3/15 @BUF
3/30 vs NYI

If the leafs clinch their spot around the last 2 weeks of the season would be interesting to see if they rest Andersen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
My bad. Barring an injury Mcelhinney likely only has 4 more starts the rest of the year.
2/18 vs DET
2/27 vs FLA
3/15 @BUF
3/30 vs NYI

If the leafs clinch their spot around the last 2 weeks of the season would be interesting to see if they rest Andersen.
tbh i dont think they will. i don't think they'll want him to be rusty going into the playoffs and that seems like the leafs thing to do anyways.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
For those critical of Jake's play, please note Eric Karlsson's defensive play. He is terrible and gets burnt more times than toast. These are offensively gifted Dmen and you live and die with their strengths and weaknesses.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
An injury is never good, but it is an ideal time to see what is in the system.

Personally, I would like to find out if Holl is a flash in the pan. He sure looked good with Dermott.

However, since Holl is a RHD, im expecting that Borgman fills in at 3rd pair LHD while Dermot fills in for Jake.

Hopefully, Gardiner is back soon.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Gardiner probably gets the next 2 games off against Pitt and Det. Then returns Tuesday again Florida.

Dermott steps up into Gardiner's spot, Leafs call Holl back up for another look see and pair him with either Carrick or Polak on last pairing. Borgman stays with Marlies to continue rounding out his game.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This could be an early preview of what the team might look like with Dermott in Gardiner's role. I don't think any other Leafs' defensemen can substitute for Gardiner in reality. There are maybe a dozen or so defensemen in the league with his level of mobility and puck skills.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For those critical of Jake's play, please note Eric Karlsson's defensive play. He is terrible and gets burnt more times than toast. These are offensively gifted Dmen and you live and die with their strengths and weaknesses.

Difference is that EK good plays minus EK bad plays >> JG good plays minus JG bad plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad