Recalled/Assigned: Jake Gardiner recalled to Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Mirtle said he didn't look good even in that 1 game with Marlies. :laugh:

Gardiner even before being hurt wasn't the best D man on the Marlies this season, not sure if we are expecting too much from the kid. I liken him to a Tomas Kaberle d man when he was younger, not a franchise D man or a first pairing guy, but a good support D man on the second pairing.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
How does what make sense? I don't understand what you're asking.

He wasn't going to play against the Rangers. He could play 1 game for the Marlies. It's that simple. Let not talk about why they didn't bring any one to the NHL to replace his roster spot though, because that would fly in the face of people making fun of the organization. Reactionary indeed.

That player would have to be waiver-exempt, unless you don't mind losing him on waivers when you recall Gardiner and want to send him down.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Gardiner even before being hurt wasn't the best D man on the Marlies this season, not sure if we are expecting too much from the kid. I liken him to a Tomas Kaberle d man when he was younger, not a franchise D man or a first pairing guy, but a good support D man on the second pairing.

Tomas Kaberle clone? I'm perfectly okay with that.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Stupid to bring him back after a single game, but at least we won't have to watch Kostka on the PP anymore. I like him at even strength and even the PK, but he has no business being on the PP. Weak shot and a lack of creativity won't lead to any success in that regard.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I think the team is messing with Gardiner's psyche now, don't like all this jostling back and forth.

So he should just sit around doing nothing while the AHL is on all-star break?

Practicing with the Leafs team and receiving NHL pay for these few days while staying in the same city makes way more sense for him than being idle for those days.

His psyche will be fine, he knows why it is happening. I seriously hope moves like this that make sense doesn't damage his psyche, because if it does, he probably doesn't have what it takes to be an NHL hockey player.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think the team is messing with Gardiner's psyche now, don't like all this jostling back and forth.

I would assume that this was all explained to him before hand.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I was wondering why so many people on here seem to think that players' tender psyches are going to be so destroyed by things like this, but then I remember this board is full of posters who overreact to every little thing so I suspect this is simply a case of these posters projecting their own overreactions onto the player.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Some of you people are nuts.

Jake Gardiner can be a game changer from the back end. Even on his so called 'horrible' game against the Islanders. (i was at the game and watched him closely off the puck) He is lethal on the breakout, he just needs players on the same page as him. A bunch of times he made a quick pass and shot up the ice with the rush, was a beauty to watch. He is a real player.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Some of you people are nuts.

Jake Gardiner can be a game changer from the back end. Even on his so called 'horrible' game against the Islanders. (i was at the game and watched him closely off the puck) He is lethal on the breakout, he just needs players on the same page as him. A bunch of times he made a quick pass and shot up the ice with the rush, was a beauty to watch. He is a real player.

This. He has top pairing offensive talent.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I agree, but he doesn't make any glaring mistakes imo.

Not yet. But we have better players sitting for him to play. I don't get why we don't just give all of our full time guys full time minutes

Phanuef-franson

Gardiner-komisarek

Gunnarsson-liles

Koska/holzer

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

I wasn't aware Gardiner is a 4 year old child. I mean going from Toronto all the way to...Toronto in the span of a couple of days must be hard.

Nonis, or someone up there has most likely told Gardiner ahead of time what they've planned to do with his conditioning, AHL allstar break, and if he'll be playing on the Leafs at all in the next week or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad