Injury Report: Jake Gardiner, LTIR, Back and Hip Surgery

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
the only move to make is to buy him out and salvage as much of his hit as possible. this is terrible news for everyone but jake gardiner, who will undoubtedly join a team on a PTO and retire after camp when it becomes painfully obvious that his skating, which was suspect at absolute best before taking like 16 months off skating in his mid-30's, is no longer AHL caliber. maybe keep him and give him 25 minutes a night until he can't stand it anymore and IR him?
Before his hips totally disintegrated, he was one of the better skating defensemen in the league. With new hips and rehab, he's got a pretty good chance at being able to get extremely mobile again.

Also, he's 31 years old, not "mid 30s". Younger than I am. Zdeno Chara he ain't.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Before his hips totally disintegrated, he was one of the better skating defensemen in the league. With new hips and rehab, he's got a pretty good chance at being able to get extremely mobile again.

Also, he's 31 years old, not "mid 30s". Younger than I am. Zdeno Chara he ain't.
the age thing was a big oops..

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Cap friendly says he has a $4.050m cap hit. That will restrict our summer roster moves?
You can go 10 percent above the cap ceiling during the off-season, that gives team some space to operate when building the roster for the next season.

Nevertheless, in order to ensure that Clubs may have sufficient time and flexibility to plan their rosters during the off-season, the Upper Limit shall be temporarily raised by ten (10) percent to permit Clubs additional flexibility with their Averaged Club Salaries during the period from July 1 until and including the last day of Training Camp. On the day following the last day of Training Camp, the Upper Limit shall again be lowered to the level as calculated in Section 50.5(b), and all Clubs must once again be in compliance with the Upper Limit from the day following the last day of Training Camp until and including June 30.

The regular cap applies until and including June 30, though. Gardiner's salary may be an issue in the early summer.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why would it be a problem before June 30th when it's not a problem to be over the cap in the playoffs?
elmo-shrug.gif

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

Pretty much the entire league is younger than I am at this point... did Thornton ever retire?

I used to be with it, but they changed what it was and what I was with wasn't it anymore

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
When you realize you would have been drafted the year before Rod......

:help:
When you realize it's possible you and your spouse could be the parents in the arena (if you had athletic ability to pass on to the next generation.)

Already starting to happen in the NBA for me. "Wait, no that can't be the same guy he came in a couple years after I graduated... Damnit it is him".
When you realize you graduated with a player who was called "Grizzled veteran" and whose coach used "DNP-Old" as a joke before he retired.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Pretty much the entire league is younger than I am at this point... did Thornton ever retire?

I used to be with it, but they changed what it was and what I was with wasn't it anymore
Yeah, I'm up to where I would be 5th oldest on the roster, and the oldest guy on the roster is just a year older than me. But ignore that, I'm young damnit, young!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
When you realize you would have been drafted the year before Rod......

:help:

When you realize it's possible you and your spouse could be the parents in the arena (if you had athletic ability to pass on to the next generation.)

When you realize you graduated with a player who was called "Grizzled veteran" and whose coach used "DNP-Old" as a joke before he retired.

Last today I was pained as I went to pick up my kid after school from my old ~high school.

Grandfather Smoke GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
My new coworker is much older than me and struggling with the most minor of computer issues. I spend at least half my day answering the same questions over and over. He probably makes more than me too. I feel quite young now, it’s invigorating.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
My new coworker is much older than me and struggling with the most minor of computer issues. I spend at least half my day answering the same questions over and over. He probably makes more than me too. I feel quite young now, it’s invigorating.
Moral of story: stay current with latest technological trends no matter the age.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Hmmm...I know I'm getting old when I can't say that I have co-workers much older than me....

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Hmmm...I know I'm getting old when I can't say that I have co-workers much older than me....
Everyone here seems to be old. It’s essentially a gov’t job though so people get on and don’t leave until retirement. At least that’s how it is with most here. I’ve got one and a half feet out the door looking for better pay or at least a position that doesn’t require me to sit next to this MFer

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad