Waived: Jake Gardiner - Cleared

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the cap goes by the situation at 5 p.m., and you have to transfer the taxi squader before 5 p.m., so transferring someone 7 p.m. yesterday is same as 4.59 p.m. today.

They seem to have blocked usurping the taxi squad for cap space by the 5 p.m. requirement.

So the move last night is no different from a cap space POV than moving him today?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So the move last night is no different from a cap space POV than moving him today?
If it happened after 5 p.m. yesterday, to my understanding it isn't. Actually thinking about it, it's legally exactly the same as it would be with an AHL transfer. Taxi squad = legally AHL. I think they have done cap purpose transfers to AHL for a couple of hours so that the player is in AHL at 5 p.m. Didn't that happen to Matthews once?

But take this coming from someone who apparently misuses the word "usurp".

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If it happened after 5 p.m. yesterday, to my understanding it isn't. Actually thinking about it, it's legally exactly the same as it would be with an AHL transfer. Taxi squad = legally AHL. I think they have done cap purpose transfers to AHL for a couple of hours so that the player is in AHL at 5 p.m. Didn't that happen to Matthews once?

But take this coming from someone who apparently misuses the word "usurp".

Ok, it makes sense then. If they want to get him some games so he doesn't go "stale" and/or is now healthy, then moving him last night makes no difference than moving him today in terms of Cap, so I get it.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Unfortunately, Capfriendly doesn’t have times transactions occur. Saw that Geekie is an emergency loan vs regular call up. His salary is free of a cap hit.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Ok, it makes sense then. If they want to get him some games so he doesn't go "stale" and/or is now healthy, then moving him last night makes no difference than moving him today in terms of Cap, so I get it.
I assume so. Plus, waiving him made some headlines, so it's kind of important PR-wise to underline that it was only a cap move by making his stay there as short as possible.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As pancakes go, call me Mr. Rasberry Jam.

OnI3.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
As long as you put it on upancakes, ufine by us. Now if you start using mysurp, then we got problems.

I made Maple Syrup while living up north. We had a lot of sugar maples on our property and when a neighbor moved, he gave me all of his sap buckets so I decided to make some syrup with my kids. The sap ran like crazy that year and I had buckets and coolers full of sap, so was using all 5 burners on our gas cooktop on high to boil it. Partway through, I set a metal spoon on the tempered glass top part of the cooktop, and it must have acted like a heat sink and with all the burners on high, it shattered the cooktop. My wife wasn't happy and so I went out an bought a turkey fryer to finish boiling it off outside. After all was said and done, we got about a gallon of syrup. Replacing the glass top cost about $200 and the turkey cooker was another $45, plus the gas and propane. Needless to say, at ~ $250 / gallon, we used that syrup judiciously.

It was also my last time making Maple Syrup.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I made Maple Syrup while living up north. We had a lot of sugar maples on our property and when a neighbor moved, he gave me all of his sap buckets so I decided to make some syrup with my kids. The sap ran like crazy that year and I had buckets and coolers full of sap, so was using all 5 burners on our gas cooktop on high to boil it. Partway through, I set a metal spoon on the tempered glass top part of the cooktop, and it must have acted like a heat sink and with all the burners on high, it shattered the cooktop. My wife wasn't happy and so I went out an bought a turkey fryer to finish boiling it off outside. After all was said and done, we got about a gallon of syrup. Replacing the glass top cost about $200 and the turkey cooker was another $45, plus the gas and propane. Needless to say, at ~ $250 / gallon, we used that syrup judiciously.

How good was it?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

The Quebec Cartel probably had something to do with that....

giphy.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So I did the math (hopefully right)

The difference in Gardiner’s taxi cap hit and roster cap hit is 9217 daily dollars.

Bean’s daily roster cap hit is 9568 dollars.

So the move of sending bean down and bringing Gardiner up saved 451 cap dollars. There it is.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’m just gonna go ahead & say that some are definitely better than others.

I highly recommend Highland Sugarworks. Sooo good.

View attachment 408160

Oh, I'm sure some people can taste the difference and some are better than others, but I'm not really one of them that notices much of a difference. Granted, I don't have maple syrup that often any more either. It's safe to say I've had 20-30 different Vermont Syrup's in my time and while I can notice a difference between darker vs. lighter ones, I don't try them enough to know the subtle differences. I don't ever really taste them without other foods as well, so that probably complicates things. One of my best friends lives in VT and has his own sugaring house. He doesn't sell it commercially though, just makes it for family and friends. His always "seemed" to taste better when we would go up there to visit and help out, but I'm sure that was because we were there in the moment though.

It's like when I go wine tasting at wineries. Some of the wines seem so good when tasting at the winery so I buy a bottle, only to find out it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad