Waived: Jake Gardiner - Cleared

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I know exactly the face you mean and it would indeed make a great gif. I must have watched that series rewind video on YouTube a dozen times and seeing his reaction always really gets me in the feels

Edit: this one the shot im thinking of is around 7:25

ME134AZR_o.jpg

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Someone on the athletic comments pointed out that since Gardiner was waived yesterday, daylight savings time gave him only 23 hours to clear instead of 24. I dont know if thats actually true but pretty funny
It is true- waiver filings are announced at noon, and you have until noon the next day to make a claim. So who knows, maybe the Devils screwed up their paperwork again.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So does this go down like no hard feelings that we coulda disrupted your life or awkwardness moving forward?

I'm thinking that the status of Gardiner's back and the communication about the move between the Borg and Gardiner might affect his take? Gardiner was playing well, but if his back acted up and all parties knew it was highly unlikely that another team would take a chance on snatching him off waivers because of that (in addition to his current contract), but that putting him through the process would provide cap flexibility for a potential Cup push, it might be easier for Gardiner to take? Obviously I'm speculating, and a lot of Gardiner's take would depend on his personality. I know people who would be resentful and other people who would view something like that as "just business".

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We gain more cap by keeping bean up. Really interesting that we bring Gardiner back up today. We maxed out our send downs with Geekie and Ned joining Bean to the taxi.

bineau went with Ryan down to Chicago.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
We gain more cap by keeping bean up. Really interesting that we bring Gardiner back up today. We maxed out our send downs with Geekie and Ned joining Bean to the taxi.

bineau went with Ryan down to Chicago.

A few weeks back when the Canes were swapping Bean, Fleury and Gardiner, RBA commented that he didn't want any of them sitting for too many games as they needed to stay sharp as he said they'd need everyone down the stretch. This could be a case of Gardiner's back is feeling better so they want to get him some playing time. Just speculating.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
A few weeks back when the Canes were swapping Bean, Fleury and Gardiner, RBA commented that he didn't want any of them sitting for too many games as they needed to stay sharp as he said they'd need everyone down the stretch. This could be a case of Gardiner's back is feeling better so they want to get him some playing time. Just speculating.
I can buy that. Although calling him back up tomorrow would seem like the better idea to maximize cap savings (unless that isn’t the real reason of the move). Then again maybe they wanted him to be able to practice with the team today.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe it is a Brindy preference to separate them

Maybe so, but your other point might still be valid. If Brindy could just insert Gardiner into the practice even if he's on the practice squad, why move him over yesterday vs. 4:59pm today?

Unless it's irrelevant due to the mechanics/timing and by that I mean, maybe moving him over when they did would have the same cap implications as moving him over at 4:59pm today. No idea on that.

Or, they already have a projected 11M (per cap friendly) in deadline cap space so it's not a big deal any longer to bank space and they are handing out more cash to Gardiner on the taxi squad (what I was told) due to no escrow while being there?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Unless something has changed
EpsY1Q4XcAEnf-F
They described the taxi squad as an "extension" of the team. I understand that physically they are with the team, but as the waivers are concerned moving someone from active roster to the taxi squad is akin to sending him to AHL (=waivers are needed when applicable).

So they are physically with the NHL team but legally (cap and contract repercussions etc.) like they were in the AHL.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe so, but your other point might still be valid. If Brindy could just insert Gardiner into the practice even if he's on the practice squad, why move him over yesterday vs. 4:59pm today?

Unless it's irrelevant due to the mechanics/timing and by that I mean, maybe moving him over when they did would have the same cap implications as moving him over at 4:59pm today. No idea on that.

Or, they already have a projected 11M (per cap friendly) in deadline cap space so it's not a big deal any longer to bank space and they are handing out more cash to Gardiner on the taxi squad (what I was told) due to no escrow while being there?
I think the cap goes by the situation at 5 p.m., and you have to transfer the taxi squader before 5 p.m., so transferring someone 7 p.m. yesterday is same as 4.59 p.m. today.

They seem to have blocked usurping the taxi squad for cap space by the 5 p.m. requirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad