Waived: Jake Gardiner - Cleared

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Smart to keep that flexibility open in case something comes up they want to do. Especially if he'll be out a bit.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I would like to take this opportunity to say, while I have no real issues w/ Gardiner and agree w/ Dave that he's improved this season (when he's on the ice that is), I really wish the BORG had kept de Haan instead. CDH imo is/was a much more realiable no-worries kind of guy.

It is what it is though.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I would like to take this opportunity to say, while I have no real issues w/ Gardiner and agree w/ Dave that he's improved this season (when he's on the ice that is), I really wish the BORG had kept de Haan instead. CDH imo is/was a much more realiable no-worries kind of guy.

It is what it is though.

And dealing CDH due to injury risk followed by signing Gardiner after some back concerns didn't make much sense either.

That said I've liked his play much more this season when healthy. He just seems to have trouble staying in the lineup.

I wonder if this is as much an attempt to get Gardiner a chance to play somewhere because Bean has taken his job.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I share your opinion, but not everyone does. Maybe we get lucky?

Pucks And Pitchforks

I don't want to sound arrogant about this as I'm just a fan as well, but if anyone thinks that the Canes are trying to sneak a player through here, they're not paying attention. A team is not going to risk a player it doesn't want to lose for the small benefits of the daily equivalent of 212k in cap space and NHL money for Bean. If Gardiner has as much name value to an organization out there as he does to that fan and gets claimed, Waddell's reaction might be equivalent to his emotion after McGinn scored in 2OT. I wish I had that gif!

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Makes sense. I'm not sure if the Borg agrees but I think Bean is a keeper unless Francis wants him in Seattle for a good return.

Oh Bean is absolutely a keeper. He's a no brainer for Seattle if exposed due to age, cost control, and ability.

But if the Hamilton negotiation is at a stalemate, hold on it and protect Bean.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Waddell's reaction might be equivalent to his emotion after McGinn scored in 2OT. I wish I had that gif!
I know exactly the face you mean and it would indeed make a great gif. I must have watched that series rewind video on YouTube a dozen times and seeing his reaction always really gets me in the feels

Edit: this one the shot im thinking of is around 7:25

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't want to sound arrogant about this as I'm just a fan as well, but if anyone thinks that the Canes are trying to sneak a player through here, they're not paying attention. A team is not going to risk a player it doesn't want to lose for the small benefits of the daily equivalent of 212k in cap space and NHL money for Bean. If Gardiner has as much name value to an organization out there as he does to that fan and gets claimed, Waddell's reaction might be equivalent to his emotion after McGinn scored in 2OT. I wish I had that gif!
Agree.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I know exactly the face you mean and it would indeed make a great gif. I must have watched that series rewind video on YouTube a dozen times and seeing his reaction always really gets me in the feels

Thank you for the YT link. That made this so much easier.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

Gentlemen, don't let your dreams be dreams.

ZVTSlm.gif

Edit: Seems in the 10 minutes I was futzing around somebody else had the same idea. Oh well.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think he's going to get claimed. Nothing is a guarantee either way, but many clubs don't have space. It's been said that even some that do only want dollar in dollar out transactions with the state of things. Perhaps we could move him for a similar contract if we were actually interested in moving him. For now, this is just saving cap space while he heals/isn't playing. Of course, even though he has played well this year, they probably won't lose much sleep if he is claimed and just focus that much harder on deadline depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad