Recalled/Assigned: Jake Gardiner back to the Marlies

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
My god.There's people on the Leafs FB post questioning why we are sending him down after he scored the GWG. We're going to ruin his confidence! :laugh:

birddog*

Conditioning assignments are pretty normal for players returning from injury.

Burying kids in the minors when they are better than the seasoned veterans playing in the NHL is pretty normal in Leaf land.

Alflives*

Burying kids in the minors when they are better than the seasoned veterans playing in the NHL is pretty normal in Leaf land.

I am not wearing my Leafs' mittens again, until Gardiner is called back up. Will I get frost bite?

birddog*

I am not wearing my Leafs' mittens again, until Gardiner is called back up. Will I get frost bite?

If you are a Leaf fan you probably have plenty of experience picking your butt during games -- what else s there to do. They should be plenty warm there. :sarcasm:

Alflives*

If you are a Leaf fan you probably have plenty of experience picking your butt during games -- what else s there to do. They should be plenty warm there. :sarcasm:

Nope. I have been pulling out what's left of my hair! :laugh:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm not sure why you are confused. It's a demotion, basically.

He hasn't been able to get back into form since his concussion. He admitted himself it's been a hard recovery.

So it's a demotion until he shows he's ready for a promotion. If that takes the season, so be it.

Chill bro that's all I was asking. Thanks for the clarification.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
If anyone would like a really good time - go look at the TML Facebook page post about this.

You'll see such gems as, "send down Phaneuf and Gunnarsson." "Homosarek." and many others.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Trade Liles -- seriously -- stop with the dumb management. Gardiner >>>> Liles and he's in the minors? Really?

Liles has outplayed Gardiner. I know Liles hasn't been as good since the 1st game but he's still outplayed Gardiner so far this season.

Now if you'd like to see Kostka and Gunnarsson getting more PP time along with a broken Gardiner then that's another issue.

stish

Talk to the player. He wants to, and expects to, play in the NHL. Schultz is playing in the NHL and will likely never be sent back and forth to the AHL.

Shultz could very possibly get a concussion, miss 6 weeks of play, look lost in his return and get sent back for conditioning.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
homosarek lol

The funny thing is that I find all the immature comments come from people that are older. An interesting trend I see on the internet where the teenagers/kids are obviously super immature and then they get better as it goes along but then it gets less mature again as we get into the older folk.

Bell curves.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I explained this when he was called up again - he's only up for AHL allstar weekend so he can practice.

Going back down to work on conditioning and in-game fitness and timing.

Not a bad move at all.

Be patient with the kid.

Question - how many of you guys pissed that Gardiner isn't playing on the NHL team right now, are also the same group that wants this team to enter instant rebuild mode?

Hypocrites

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Who will his defensive partner be? Would be nice if he could play with Holzer and perhaps keep them together as a 3rd pairing when they get promoted. Left and right shooter, offensive and defensive.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
I explained this when he was called up again - he's only up for AHL allstar weekend so he can practice.

Going back down to work on conditioning and in-game fitness and timing.

Not a bad move at all.

Be patient with the kid.

Question - how many of you guys pissed that Gardiner isn't playing on the NHL team right now, are also the same group that wants this team to enter instant rebuild mode?

Hypocrites

I completely understand why they are sending down to the Marlies. It's for his own good and for the good of the team. He is coming off a concussion and you can't rush a return from that.

As for the instant rebuild mode, we have been in need of a rebuild since Sundin left.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I completely understand why they are sending down to the Marlies. It's for his own good and for the good of the team. He is coming off a concussion and you can't rush a return from that.

As for the instant rebuild mode, we have been in need of a rebuild since Sundin left.

The point I was making, was that we have no patience with one single young, promising Dman who is going to be a star in this league.

If we don't have patience with him, what makes people think we will have any patience at all during a full-on rebuild?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
The funny thing is that I find all the immature comments come from people that are older. An interesting trend I see on the internet where the teenagers/kids are obviously super immature and then they get better as it goes along but then it gets less mature again as we get into the older folk.

Bell curves.

I take it that you are collecting OAS then?

Zeeker17

Jun 11, 2009
LaSalle, Ontario
I'm not sure why you are confused. It's a demotion, basically.

He hasn't been able to get back into form since his concussion. He admitted himself it's been a hard recovery.

So it's a demotion until he shows he's ready for a promotion. If that takes the season, so be it.

Except he is there BEST defenseman!!! Why send him down?

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Except he is there BEST defenseman!!! Why send him down?

Not sure why this is an issue. The guy is not performing right now and he is still coming back from a serious injury. Only the best players right now should be with the team. Jake Gardner may well have the most upside of any of our young players and he is still a big part of the Leafs future. However Carlyle is running a dressing room where there is no sense of entitlement....not too shabby.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: