Recalled/Assigned: Jake Gardiner back to the Marlies

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653300

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Wednesday that the hockey club has assigned defenceman Jake Gardiner to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League...The Marlies next game is Friday, February 1 in Rochester against the Americans (AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres) at 7 p.m. The Marlies return home on Saturday, February 2 when they host the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens) at Ricoh Coliseum.

Maple Leafs Twitter said:
@SportChek Player Alert: #Leafs assign Jake Gardiner to the @torontomarlies

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Makes sense. He gets NHL pay during the all star week and now he's back down.

I'd say he'd probably play 5 games before he's called up.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was only up during the AHL all-star break.

Let's hope he can regain his form sooner rather than later.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm a little confused. Is he down there the rest of the season, or is this just part of his conditioning stint?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm a little confused. Is he down there the rest of the season, or is this just part of his conditioning stint?

I'm not sure why you are confused. It's a demotion, basically.

He hasn't been able to get back into form since his concussion. He admitted himself it's been a hard recovery.

So it's a demotion until he shows he's ready for a promotion. If that takes the season, so be it.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well, we no longer have to wonder why his best bud signed with the Oilers!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Riiiggghttttt! They should just throw him out there even though he hasn't regained his form since the concussion.
It's all managements fault

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
And isn't it something that our players only have that short "walk" up or down? Great move to unite our NHL/AHL systems in one place.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Well, we no longer have to wonder why his best bud signed with the Oilers!

Please explain. The guy still isn't 100%, Leafs made sure he got some more practice time in by calling him up for the AHL All-Star break where he never would've got practice. People have zero patience.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
He was sent down for conditioning, and brought up during the AHL All Star Break to get NHL level pay. Go read the Leafs FB post about it, so terrible how many idiotic fans we have.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is shutting him down for the season an option? It's not so good in the sense he loses development time, but do you really want a groggy Jake Gardiner slogging through meaningless AHL games where he could easily hurt himself again, or rest up until September? It's just so unfortunate all of our kids seem to hit some kind of brick wall after their rookie years.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Please explain. The guy still isn't 100%, Leafs made sure he got some more practice time in by calling him up for the AHL All-Star break where he never would've got practice. People have zero patience.

Talk to the player. He wants to, and expects to, play in the NHL. Schultz is playing in the NHL and will likely never be sent back and forth to the AHL.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think what happens here is he goes down to the minors and gets back in game shape. I think they are seeing if Kostka can handle NHL minutes and if he starts to falter Gardiner will be back up once he is game ready.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Talk to the player. He wants to, and expects to, play in the NHL. Schultz is playing in the NHL and will likely never be sent back and forth to the AHL.

Y'know, unless there's another lockout, where Schultz plays in the AHL and subsequently get's a concussion rendering him not the same player right after he get's back from said injury :laugh:

Trill Kessell

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
AHL time isnt necessarily a bad thing. Frattin didn't have a good camp and was subsequently sent back down to the AHL, was recalled and now is performing. I expect to see a very similar situation with Gardiner because like most skilled players recovering from an injury, it takes a while to get your hands back.

birddog*

Trade Liles -- seriously -- stop with the dumb management. Gardiner >>>> Liles and he's in the minors? Really?

Just like Frattin >>>>> MacArthur. Enough with keeping spots for veterans that suck.

birddog*

Schultz hasn't suffered from a concussion now has he?
Geeeeeezzzzzzzzzz

If he can play in the AHL. He can play in the NHL. He got his concussion in the AHL. Those guys run around down there. NHL is more positional -- smarter. Gardiner is better suited up here playing with smarter players.

Stop screwing around RC or you'll be the next Wilson in a hurry.

Alflives*

Like I have posted before. The Leafs need a #1 goalie, or all their young D will follow the same development curve of Schenn and now Gardiner. First the player loses confidence in the goalie, and thus tries too much - making mistakes. Then the player loses confidence in himself. Young developing D need a proven verteran #1 behind them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad