Jake Gardiner 2.0 - More beast than man now, I am afraid...

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Just browse the previous thread. After every mistake Jake had people were calling to trade him and this was late into the season. People are finally realizing how good Gardiner is because ever play is hyper magnified. A small zone exit in game 50 isn't appreciated but in the playoffs people realize how important they are. Gardiners been great the whole season and it the eye test detractors are finally realizing this.

To be honest I was disappointed with Babcocks usage of Gardiner earlier in the season when I felt he deserved higher minutes. Luckily thanks to Rielly's injury Gardiner started playing 20+mins and higher QOC and hasn't stopped.

I love the fact he's been getting tough QoC, he's proving that he wasn't just good because of an 'easy QoC' now.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Jake is great, but Rielly is our true #1 - he is better in every aspect of the game, and especially in IQ which is very important for a top pairing dman. Even during that game 2 where Gardiner looked like a superstar, Rielly was still better IMO.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Jake is great, but Rielly is our true #1 - he is better in every aspect of the game, and especially in IQ which is very important for a top pairing dman. Even during that game 2 where Gardiner looked like a superstar, Rielly was still better IMO.

I've been in this boat most of their careers. The thing is though, Jake has been fantastic this season, and is 100% a top-pairing defenseman, as is Rielly. I'd almost put them even because of the gigantic leaps Jake has made this season proving he can handle top minutes and keep his stats the same. As soon as it happened too, riellys minutes got easier and he began to excel. We're so lucky having both of them.

Now get a Tanev for Rielly and keep Jake with Zaitsev, and bam. Huge top-4.

Snap24

Apr 3, 2010
Toronto
I think Gardiner plays best when he plays a lot of minutes. I think he could handle 30 minutes a night most games.

I also think Gardiner plays a lot better when he is free to play his own style of game. When Polak goes down (and no Zaitsev), my guess is that Babcock is telling Gardiner and Rielly that they're gonna have to play a ton of minutes and we also need to score goals and win... and therefore, do what you have to do to make stuff happen.

Right, because they need "Babcrap" (your words) to tell them that they need to score and win, so they'll play better. They can't see that Polak went down or anything, so they just might get more minutes. And maybe they're actually pretty good and this fan base just has too many opinions.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

I thought Gardiner looked a lot better and neutral fans seem to agree. His breakouts and zone entries were on point all game.

At his best, Gardiner is our best D-man. He plays like a #1 when he's clicking. And funny enough, it's usually come playoff time when the stakes are higher and the game is a lot faster. But his lows can be horrific. If he can put it together consistently, he'll be amazing for us. Rielly is more consistent and his lows are not nearly as bad.

Just lucky we have both..ever since Gardiner went on the top pairing, things have been going great.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
It's pretty funny how opinions on Jake are always changing. The couple games before playoffs started, everyone was hating on him, including myself for the brain farts.

I don't think he's a top pairing d-man, people are getting way out of hand. We just haven't had a top pairing dman, so we don't know what it's like to actually have one. When Gardiner's on his game sure he's like a #2-#3, but he's not consistent enough to be classified as that.

He needs to step up his consistency. Even the last game, the goal by backstrom went off his stick, but again, I guess that happens. He played an overall good game, but I mean he's not always as effective as he was last game.

Lainethescourgeofgod*

Mar 31, 2017
It's pretty funny how opinions on Jake are always changing. The couple games before playoffs started, everyone was hating on him, including myself for the brain farts.

I don't think he's a top pairing d-man, people are getting way out of hand. We just haven't had a top pairing dman, so we don't know what it's like to actually have one. When Gardiner's on his game sure he's like a #2-#3, but he's not consistent enough to be classified as that.

He needs to step up his consistency. Even the last game, the goal by backstrom went off his stick, but again, I guess that happens. He played an overall good game, but I mean he's not always as effective as he was last game.

You're out to lunch if you don't think Gards is not a #3. No disrespect intended. He is prone to make errors here and there... like any other defenseman in the league.

If you watch Backstroms goal and think that is on Gards I really don't know what to tell you. For the love of all that is good, Cherry was defending his play on that goal, I rarely hear him defend Gardiner.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011

Why do you have to tell us how good Morgan is?

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Gardiner & Rielly have turned into machines over the 2 games of this series. Really didnt expect both of them to step up so much.

Everytime i think one has impressed me more than the other, the other guy does something to change my mind. They've both been so good at controlling the play at both ends of the ice. Gardiner is a completely new player in the playoffs, less volatile, higher skill plays consistently. It's weird

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Always had faith, that Jake had what it takes to be here..
Those two concussions took a lot of development time away from him..
and made this a longer journey, but he seems to be having a terrific season..
and has "dramatically" improved his plus/minus stats, as well..

2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
79 Games... 8 Goals... 24 Assists... 32 Points... -15
-----------------------------------------------------------
*2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
82 Games... 9 Goals... 34 Assists... 43 Points... +24 :handclap:

House Of Gards: All Jake Gardiner's 2015-16 Goals & Highlights - TML (HD)

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Gardiner>>>>>>Reilly ainec.

He need another top pairing RD to play with Jake.

Ironically, Morgan Reilly played a tremendous game in game 2, and it could be easily argued he was better. Will never understand the need to disparage one player to compliment another.

Anyway, not too sure why people seem surprised. It's the same Freeway Jake Gardiner. Great skating, forward level skill and puck control, and the occasional brain cramp. He had a great year, and has been good ever since Babcock came to Toronto.

Perhaps if people didn't lose their everloving minds every time he made a mistake, they would be able to notice how talented he is.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Always had faith, that Jake had what it takes to be here..
Those two concussions took a lot of development time away from him..
and made this a longer journey, but he seems to be having a terrific season..
and has "dramatically" improved his plus/minus stats, as well..

Seer!! What is this, Blondie, the Rapture, Morrison, the Doors, Riders on the Storm? Love it, and thanks for the great video, as always!!!!:handclap:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Why do you have to tell us how good Morgan is?
Because he is part of our team and people seem to be putting him down for some reason (mainly because Jake has looked better than his usual boneheaded self)

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont

Rielly is playing great now, he just needs to learn how to not ice the puck. I swear he does it 8 times a game in the worst possible times. He should practice it at practice, how to flick it out without shooting it all the way down the ****ing ice.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Because he is part of our team and people seem to be putting him down for some reason (mainly because Jake has looked better than his usual boneheaded self)

Why the negative comment about Jake? Morgan is playing very well and don't know why you have to cut down Jake to make your point?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Gardiner and Rielly have both been great in the playoffs. Me personally I prefer Riellys game a little more so far but can't go wrong with either at the moment

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
cant we just appreciate both? gards has really stepped up and morgan is just starting to come around after the injury but they were both great on saturday. it doesnt really matter who is better

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Honestly, it's the fact that people can't let go of an old narrative. I guarantee that you're looking for reasons not to like him. It happens all the time. You're trying to find reasons that prove that he's not a top pairing dmen, and you're finding them.

Many top pairing defenseman make the same mistakes Gards does. They just aren't focused on so heavily.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I thought Gardiner looked a lot better and neutral fans seem to agree. His breakouts and zone entries were on point all game.

At his best, Gardiner is our best D-man. He plays like a #1 when he's clicking. And funny enough, it's usually come playoff time when the stakes are higher and the game is a lot faster. But his lows can be horrific. If he can put it together consistently, he'll be amazing for us. Rielly is more consistent and his lows are not nearly as bad.

Just lucky we have both..ever since Gardiner went on the top pairing, things have been going great.

It's a very short sample size, but Gards has shown in the past that he steps it up in the playoffs. He was fantastic in the Boston series.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
People on this forum have a weird idea of what makes a top pairing or #1 defenseman. It would seem we need a player who:

-never makes positional errors
-never gets beaten 1-on-1
-never loses a board battle
-throws bone crunching hits
-is never the victim of an unlucky bounce

Look around the league at guys who are not only top pairing d-men, not only #1s, but considered franchise defensemen. Let's say Karlsson, Doughty, Subban, Weber, Chara 3+ years ago, Suter. They get beaten sometimes. They screw up routine plays once in a while. They gamble for offense, sometimes when they shouldn't. They play the most minutes against the best players, of course they get bested sometimes.

These guys would be shredded on this forum if they played for the Leafs. Chara's performane the year Boston won the Cup would have made him trade-bait.

There are no flawless defensemen. So how much more do you need Gardiner to do before you think he's worth his mistakes? The guy has shown he's capable of 26+ minutes/game against top competition. He's shown he can drive offense, from his own zone or the opponents' blueline.

He reminds me more and more of Kaberle, if Kaberle had been more willing to use his wicked slapper. Not overly physical, but solid positionally and with great stick-work. Takes few penalties. Is such a smooth skater that some people think he's not putting in enough effort. High-end breakout playmaker, excels under pressure and in big games. He even has Kaberle's great ability to look off his pass targets, though Gardiner could learn a thing or two from Kaberle about head/body fakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad