Jake Gardiner 2.0 - More beast than man now, I am afraid...

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I have Gardiner pegged close to 50 points this year as well. In response to comparing him to other teams players that handle the puck a lot and make mistakes......Just watching games you can see he's that guy with butterfingers who gets clumsy more often than others. It's truly bizarre how often you just think to yourself "that just happened" when he has the puck.

I don't even have a problem with how Gardiner defends really, sometimes it leaves a bit to be desired but he's showed flashes of pure dominance at both ends. He's the guy who steps on the banana peel or constantly drops his phone with no explanation at this point. Comparable to someone like Hartnell or Hyman who just fall all the time for no reason

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
jake has just under elite offense, he gives you great offense, i dont think he'll be best defensive D on his team good but his D is just under great its very good

our D is underrated, gardiner, zaitsev, hainsey, and rielly can all play big minutes for you every night and play very well

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
To start this off I will say I'm not a fan of the game Jake plays but I can appreciate that he has great physical tools like his skating and his edges. I prefer defencemen who play defence, move the puck quickly, keep the front of our net clear and lays down the occasional bone cruncher of a body check, takes away the center of the ice, and so on. For the longest time I criticized his game for his mental mistakes rather than appreciated what he could do to drive offence. Jake will never be a defensive stalwart, a guy who you put on the ice with 1 minute left and a one goal lead, he will be a guy who from time to time makes plays that make you think this guy is special, followed by multiple risky give away that make you want to throw objects at your TV.

So instead of getting rid of this guy, as I have suggested in the past, maybe we find a defender (easier said than done) who can play top minutes with Jake and be that shut down defender who allows Jake to play risky. Kind of like Marc Methot allowed Karlson to do last year. I guess what I'm saying is instead of trying to turn Jake into something he is not, find someone who compliments his game.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
So instead of getting rid of this guy, as I have suggested in the past, maybe we find a defender (easier said than done) who can play top minutes with Jake and be that shut down defender who allows Jake to play risky. Kind of like Marc Methot allowed Karlson to do last year. I guess what I'm saying is instead of trying to turn Jake into something he is not, find someone who compliments his game.

I think getting a good, dependable partner who's strengths are Gardiner's weaknesses is the realistic way to get the most out of him. Defensemen don't just stop making mistakes, otherwise we'd have no shortage of Lidstroms. And maybe we already have that partner for him. Zaitsev looks like he's improved. Hainsey is looking pretty impressive in his own end...

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
To start this off I will say I'm not a fan of the game Jake plays but I can appreciate that he has great physical tools like his skating and his edges. I prefer defencemen who play defence, move the puck quickly, keep the front of our net clear and lays down the occasional bone cruncher of a body check, takes away the center of the ice, and so on. For the longest time I criticized his game for his mental mistakes rather than appreciated what he could do to drive offence. Jake will never be a defensive stalwart, a guy who you put on the ice with 1 minute left and a one goal lead, he will be a guy who from time to time makes plays that make you think this guy is special, followed by multiple risky give away that make you want to throw objects at your TV.

Pretty much agree with all this except for the top pair part. Ideally I want him as a very good 2nd pair guy.

Also from what I've seen Jake's best asset defensively (after skating) is his stick. His hand eye coordination in cutting off passes is the best on the team imo. It's hard to get a pass through or by him. It's one of the things that frustrates me when I watch Rielly is how often passes from the other team seem to go right through him to their intended target.

His other great defensive strength is his ability to hold the puck just a little longer and make a play to transition to offense. In contrast for example, Rielly tends to panic and just ice the puck or throw it out into the neutral zone.

These are all more subtle defensive plays that I think he excels in.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
That's awesome, the goal vs the Rags.

Now show the goal by Toews today where Jake just non chalantly throws the puck behind the net onto the goalie stick and that leads directly to a goal.

Or his amazing coverage of Patrick Kane on a play that ended up with a shot off the post.

This is a group of people who hated Kessel because he wasn't great defensively, but make all the excuses in the world for a defensively inept defenseman.

I like a lot of Jake's game, but I want him to remember what position he plays on this team.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I like Gardiner a lot. But Rielly has always been and will continue to be this team's #1D.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What a game, Jake had a pretty good game, not his best. Life goes on.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
3 penalties and some soft as baby**** defense. We won despite Jake tonight. He's gotta learn to stay focused and play hard on each shift.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is a group of people who hated Kessel because he wasn't great defensively, but make all the excuses in the world for a defensively inept defenseman.
That's because Kessel had warts on his non-existent defensive game whereas Gardiner has warts on his great defensive game. Kessel was an anchor on his linemates defensively while Gardiner helps everybody he plays with perform better defensively.

That's not making excuses. That's about seeing the entire picture, not just the bad half of the highlight reel.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
That's because Kessel had warts on his non-existent defensive game whereas Gardiner has warts on his great defensive game. Kessel was an anchor on his linemates defensively while Gardiner helps everybody he plays with perform better defensively.

That's not making excuses. That's about seeing the entire picture, not just the bad half of the highlight reel.

Good players are held to high standards and expectations. It comes with the territory.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Absolutely. And Gardiner is rightfully roasted for his performance against the Hawks.

That's the difference. He did not have a great game... Here people say he is a crappy player, huge disconnect from reality.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
That's the difference. He did not have a great game... Here people say he is a crappy player, huge disconnect from reality.

I haven't seen many say he isn't good, TBH. Most just tell the truth. He's a really good player who is a little prone to frightening lapses in judgement and soft play in his own end, due to a lack of physicality. Everyone has limitations. Those happen to be Jake's.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I haven't seen many say he isn't good, TBH. Most just tell the truth. He's a really good player who is a little prone to frightening lapses in judgement and soft play in his own end, due to a lack of physicality. Everyone has limitations. Those happen to be Jake's.

This year, last he was the worst player in the world and probably 40% wanted to trade him. I just said he is our best and Morgan is on the same curve. That suggests Mo will catch up and at some point should be better. People here took that as my hating Rielly, the guys number is in my profile pic. He is the new Grabo, love hate relationship.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This year, last he was the worst player in the world and probably 40% wanted to trade him. I just said he is our best and Morgan is on the same curve. That suggests Mo will catch up and at some point should be better. People here took that as my hating Rielly, the guys number is in my profile pic. He is the new Grabo, love hate relationship.

Last year's playoffs and the start of this season have been good for Mo. I think he's getting there, and Hainsey is an important part of that. Good coaching, proper usage, and appropriate partnerships can be all the difference. Glad we finally have that sorted out in Toronto.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
People saying he had a bad game vs Chicago seem to forget the game winning goal. His elite speed allowed the Leafs to have a 2 on 1. He outskated Toews and allowed Matthews to have a clean shot. There is no d-man on the leafs who could have done the same thing.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Gardiner the head fake master is a pathetic disaster.
Remember though our best d man!!
Lilly and Dermott cant replace him soon enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad