18points in 10 games ain't bad for NCAA

Not to mention his faceoff ability:

1zb08c.jpg

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I really hope he doesn't jet a la Butcher
Hope we can get him signed, if we suck and are out of the playoffs sign him and tell him he will get NHL games before the end of the season.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really hope he doesn't jet a la Butcher
Hope we can get him signed, if we suck and are out of the playoffs sign him and tell him he will get NHL games before the end of the season.

He's Canadian so that should theoretically mean he would be more comfortable playing in Canada than an American NCAA player. The bigger deal is he can look at our center depth and realize it's worst in the league and gives him his best chance.

Reactions: le_sean

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He's Canadian so that should theoretically mean he would be more comfortable playing in Canada than an American NCAA player. The bigger deal is he can look at our center depth and realize it's worst in the league and gives him his best chance.

Let’s not forget that he was picked 207th overall. He was a few spots away from going undrafted but Montreal decided to use a pick on him. That must mean a lot to a player in that situation.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Let’s not forget that he was picked 207th overall. He was a few spots away from going undrafted but Montreal decided to use a pick on him. That must mean a lot to a player in that situation.

I'm pretty sure a few weeks ago someone either quoted Evans directly or paraphrasing him pretty much saying this. Don't know how reliable that source was but I could see that being the case.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm pretty sure a few weeks ago someone either quoted Evans directly or paraphrasing him pretty much saying this. Don't know how reliable that source was but I could see that being the case.

Martin Leclerc interviewed him. Leclerc asked him about Vesey, Butcher, and Kerfoot using the clause that allows them to hit free agency and not sign with the team that drafted them. Evans said that he won't lie and said he would look at all of his options, but his intention is to sign with Montreal because they showed enough faith in him to draft him.

Reactions: montreal

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Montreal is a good fit for him too. He has as good a chance to climb the depth chart as a centre here as any where else.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I'm going to say that if he doesn't sign has soon has he is done with is NCAA season, he won't sign in Mtl. He had plenty of time to think it over if he wait too look at the other options it is because he want o try to go somewhere else.
If he is good enough too make the NHL he will make it anywhere, or believe he can anyway.
The guy is from Toronto so I don't see why Mtl drafting him play into it for him, but he can't say that...
He is playing in the NCAA so I don't think playing in the US isn't a issue.
Mtl has no momentum has a organisation, everything surrounding the team is not positive.
Everyone will offer the same contract, so if there are a few team interested and there will be there bound too be at least one of them where the combination of line mate, taxes, environment (media/Weather/city) will be more attractive than Mtl.
I really hope he sign because we can lose any asset.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
So he'll go to Toronto and be stuck on the Marlies because their forward depth is ridiculous? Kapanen can't even make time big club. Or he can come to Montreal and get every chance to succeed in the NHL.. He'd be pretty much at the top of the centre depth chart here lol

Jul 6, 2016
With Plekky - hopefully - gone next July, I don't see why the Habs would not try very hard to sign Evans. They don't have any good centermen outside of him in the pipeline, except Poehling who is way too young to step up.

Reactions: dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm going to say that if he doesn't sign has soon has he is done with is NCAA season, he won't sign in Mtl. He had plenty of time to think it over if he wait too look at the other options it is because he want o try to go somewhere else.
If he is good enough too make the NHL he will make it anywhere, or believe he can anyway.
The guy is from Toronto so I don't see why Mtl drafting him play into it for him, but he can't say that...
He is playing in the NCAA so I don't think playing in the US isn't a issue.
Mtl has no momentum has a organisation, everything surrounding the team is not positive.
Everyone will offer the same contract, so if there are a few team interested and there will be there bound too be at least one of them where the combination of line mate, taxes, environment (media/Weather/city) will be more attractive than Mtl.
I really hope he sign because we can lose any asset.

What does him being from Toronto have anything to do with not wanting to sign with Montreal because they drafted him?

Surely playing in the US isn't an issue for him. But remember, he's also there for his education. He's not only playing hockey there. He chose to enroll there because of the field he wants to study in.

You're talking about Montreal not having any momentum as an organization, however this past summer, two NCAA players didn't sign with the teams that drafted them. One signed with New Jersey and the other with Colorado. The Devils may be doing great, but at the time of his signing, they were still considered bottom feeders, much like Colorado in Kerfoot's case. Both didn't have much of a momentum as organizations.

The Canadiens can offer this kid some of the best amenities that can make him want to sign with them rather than look elsewhere. Their practice facility is top notch in the NHL. Their farm team's building is nicer than some NHL arenas. The opportunities as a center are better here since it is a position of need instead of one that is already occupied by many. The organization has young and skilled players he can play with (Drouin, Galchenyuk, Hudon, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, and Scherbak as examples).

It's not out of the realm of possibility that he chooses to hit free agency. But there is more reason to think he will sign than not.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He should know he’ll have a shot at NHL games in Montreal next season. I mean they are playing f***ing Byron Froese.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
If I'm this kids agent, of course I look around, you'd be crazy not to put feelers out to a team like Anahiem for example. But you have to look at where your client fits on the depth chart. You want him to go to a place be has a legit Chance of playing. Not where he's buried behind 4 NHL Centres and multiple prospects. Like the examples that Adam Michaels brought up, they went where they knew they could play. The Habs can offer a world class franchise, hopefully starting fresh..... where the only centres ahead of you on the depth chart are Galchenyuk (assuming a new regime would employ him properly) and Phoeling. It's actually a very good career opporunity here. Plus if he can beat out our zero top six Centres for a roster spot he'll likely have talented wingers to play with. If I was his agent, I'd definitely look around but the Habs would be at the top of the list imo

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The biggest thing the Habs can offer is burning a year off his ELC when the NCAA season ends.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Leads the NCAA in points, the captain of his team, is a right-handed center, capable defensively and good in the dot....

I think we've got to include him in more of our future plans - maybe even as early as next year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Leads the NCAA in points, the captain of his team, is a right-handed center, capable defensively and good in the dot....

I think we've got to include him in more of our future plans - maybe even as early as next year.

He's done with college hockey after this year. Habs hold his rights until August 15th, 2018. If Habs sign him, he will be part of the future plans. He'll surely go through Laval first, though.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Can't he be signed now ?

If yes, then why is he not signed already ?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Can't he be signed now ?

If yes, then why is he not signed already ?

No he can’t since he’s in the NCAA.

Unless he just decides to dropout right now which doesn’t happen. I’m not even sure of the rules in that case.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I’d be so bummed if one of the only decent centre prospects we have ended up bolting to another team and all we’re left with is a 2nd to show for it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I’d be so bummed if one of the only decent centre prospects we have ended up bolting to another team and all we’re left with is a 2nd to show for it.

I'm guessing we wouldn't get a 2nd for a 7th rounder. Would have had to have been a 1st round pick. We get nada.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why is everyone panicking about losing him? Why wouldn't he pick Montreal?

-We can obviously offer a max- contract
-We have arguably the worst Center depth in the NHL, he's got a pretty easy road to the NHL through us... IMO

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
No he can’t since he’s in the NCAA.

Unless he just decides to dropout right now which doesn’t happen. I’m not even sure of the rules in that case.

NCAA picks make me nervous.

Poehling we hopefully get to drop out early and sign him. ( Yes , hoping a kid drops out of school early is awful, but so be it).

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Why is everyone panicking about losing him? Why wouldn't he pick Montreal?

-We can obviously offer a max- contract
-We have arguably the worst Center depth in the NHL, he's got a pretty easy road to the NHL through us... IMO

Assuming Clode needs to work with Drouin as a C, do you see Evans bumping one of Drouin/Danault/Poehling/JDLR over the next, say 3 years?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Assuming Clode needs to work with Drouin as a C, do you see Evans bumping one of Drouin/Danault/Poehling/JDLR over the next, say 3 years?

Is that a rhetorical question ?

That's not an impressive list whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad