Prospect Info: Jake Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't have high hopes but he is someone we should watch over the next year or two. Seems to be a very good character guy with good all around skill. How is his skating as this is the most important part for a player at average size or below?

He's a good skater. He's not Byron but he's not Galchenyuk.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hopefully there’s a good rapport with the organization and he doesn’t Jimmy Vesey us. There’s nothing to indicate otherwise. Also he would barely have any competition to be a centre for this team.

This was a great pick. A perfect example of the advantage of NCAA development. He had four years to get where he is now. Who knows how that may have turned out in the CHL.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
His projection looks promising. One might have to start wondering though if he's aiming to go the Will Butcher, Jimmy Vesey, Kevin Hayes, Justin Schultz, Blake Wheeler route .....?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hopefully there’s a good rapport with the organization and he doesn’t Jimmy Vesey us. There’s nothing to indicate otherwise. Also he would barely have any competition to be a centre for this team.

This was a great pick. A perfect example of the advantage of NCAA development. He had four years to get where he is now. Who knows how that may have turned out in the CHL.

It's an example of taking a stab at a player with talent and some flaws.

Something they should have replicated with Sokolov over Pezzetta, but didn't.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's listed at 6'-0" and 185 lbs. I have never seen him play but he seems to be a improving year after year and he's off to a great start this year. What can we expect from him ?

hard to say how he will do at the AHL level next year, his lack of strength hasn't really impacted him since he broke out last year but how it goes in the AHL we'll just have to wait and see. He's smart, skilled and hard working so there's a lot going for him. He's a beast on face-offs, last year he was 2nd in the NCAA. Just needs to get stronger over time imo.

Interesting. Laval next year at age 22?

The Habs have until August 15th to sign him, as long as they can he'll be in Laval next year.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Evans development is definitely a pleasant surprise. Really hope we get him signed. My buddy who went to Notre Dame and still is in touch and follows the program called Evans a "Kyle Turris clone" for what that is worth.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His projection looks promising. One might have to start wondering though if he's aiming to go the Will Butcher, Jimmy Vesey, Kevin Hayes, Justin Schultz, Blake Wheeler route .....?

The Habs have until August 15th to sign him, as long as they can he'll be in Laval next year.

The guy looks like a capable center with the type of skill the Habs need. There is no one like him in the pipeline, other than Poehling, unless I'm mistaken.

What is the window to sign him and why with the paucity of skill at center in this organization, are they even in a position where this player may become a UFA? Could they not have signed him sooner?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The guy looks like a capable center with the type of skill the Habs need. There is no one like him in the pipeline, other than Poehling, unless I'm mistaken.

What is the window to sign him and why with the paucity of skill at center in this organization, are they even in a position where this player may become a UFA? Could they not have signed him sooner?
He has to sign by August 15th or he becomes free to sign with any team.

Choice is really up to him though, if he doesn't want to play for the Habs, there's not much they can do.

But all indications are that Montreal has been following him closely and he wants to sign here.

Very excited about this prospect...perhaps a guy who could push for a roster spot late this year like you often see.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I thought they should have signed him this past summer after his breakout Junior year. I don't know why they didn't. Some kids prefer to stay to get their degree, or maybe the Habs felt he needed to work on getting stronger which he certainly does need to do. If they sign him, he is done in the NCAA so they could have signed him at any time but if they did he would have to go to the AHL/ECHL.

I would think he'll be signed to help Laval in the playoffs as soon as his season with Notre Dame ends.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought they should have signed him this past summer after his breakout Junior year. I don't know why they didn't. Some kids prefer to stay to get their degree, or maybe the Habs felt he needed to work on getting stronger which he certainly does need to do. If they sign him, he is done in the NCAA so they could have signed him at any time but if they did he would have to go to the AHL/ECHL.

I would think he'll be signed to help Laval in the playoffs as soon as his season with Notre Dame ends.

It's not like he can get a better ELC somewhere else? Habs likely can offer him what he wants and based on what he has accomplished (Within ELC rules). It will be interesting to see how he transitions his game to the AHL/NHL level over the next year or two. I'm not crazy high on him but he can be a dark horse in our prospect pool for sure.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's not like he can get a better ELC somewhere else. Habs likely can offer him what he wants and based on what he has accomplished (Within ELC rules). It will be interesting to see how he transitions his game to the AHL/NHL level over the next year or two. I'm not crazy high on him but he can be a dark horse in our prospect pool for sure.

he could based off taxes alone, but I expect him to sign with the Habs. I do think he's a legit prospect, just needs to get stronger and it wouldn't hurt to get quicker.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he could based off taxes alone, but I expect him to sign with the Habs. I do think he's a legit prospect, just needs to get stronger and it wouldn't hurt to get quicker.

The last thing we need is a prospect to bail on us... especially at center! Not sure of the rules but can the Habs offer him a better two way contract where he makes more at the AHL level?

I will admit that I have never seen him play at all (Live or on TV). All I know from him is stat watching and word of mouth from others. His progression from year to year is impressive I will say.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The last thing we need is a prospect to bail on us... especially at center! Not sure of the rules but can the Habs offer him a better two way contract where he makes more at the AHL level?

I will admit that I have never seen him play at all (Live or on TV). All I know from him is stat watching and word of mouth from others. His progression from year to year is impressive I will say.

no, they have to follow the ELC rules. Evans I would assume he will sign here because he's smart and sees that he has a very good shot at being an NHLer as he's great on face-offs and the Habs are thin down the middle.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
no, they have to follow the ELC rules. Evans I would assume he will sign here because he's smart and sees that he has a very good shot at being an NHLer as he's great on face-offs and the Habs are thin down the middle.

Makes logical sense that he would sign a ELC with us. I hope you are right that it happens for the AHL playoffs (if Laval makes it)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Makes logical sense that he would sign a ELC with us. I hope you are right that it happens for the AHL playoffs (if Laval makes it)
He'll sign here, the relation seems to be good.

This is one of his answer from a recent interview: " The Canadiens trusted me three years ago. They bet on me. So this is definitely the organization within which I would like to end."

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Any chance he can become a top 6 center with more development?

A piece from last August, pegs him as a potential third liner:

There is a chance that he will be able to take a regular NHL lineup spot in the near future, but in what capacity is yet to be determined. With good defensive play, faceoff prowess, excellent offensive awareness and passing skills, and the ability to perform well in any game situation, he has a lot of the tools a team could want in a top-six centre, but his low goal totals may place his ceiling at a third-line role.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...s-scouting-report-projection-stats-highlights

True that his current success in the NCAA is rooted in high assist totals. Is that a concern?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Any chance he can become a top 6 center with more development?

A piece from last August, pegs him as a potential third liner:

True that his current success in the NCAA is rooted in high assist totals. Is that a concern?

There's a chance for sure, but it's very hard to project how his game will translate at the NHL level. We'll see how he does in the AHL and go from there. He's got to get stronger and with the NHL being such a speed game now, he should look to get quicker. He's not slow but he's certainly no burner.

He's a playmaker first and foremost. He's in the mold of how I prefer my centers. Great at face-offs, works hard at both ends, smart, and is a good passer/playmaker. He is on pace for a career high in goals but he doesn't shoot a ton and doesn't appear to have a great shot.

Down the road I would think more chance he's a 3rd liner or if he's on a bottom NHL team maybe a top 6 but I need to see how he handles the AHL first, as the smarts and effort are there for sure, if he's with guys that can score he'll get them the puck with passes that will surprise you.

Hopefully he's close to Anders Bjork in quality.

I'd say a notch or so below that. Bjork is quicker and more skilled.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He has to sign by August 15th or he becomes free to sign with any team.

Choice is really up to him though, if he doesn't want to play for the Habs, there's not much they can do.

But all indications are that Montreal has been following him closely and he wants to sign here.

Very excited about this prospect...perhaps a guy who could push for a roster spot late this year like you often see.

Unless he hates the city/organization for whatever reason, it's hard to see him leaving the Habs. I mean, it's not like he has a logjam to work through to win a spot with the habs. If he wants a strong opportunity to become an nhler and he wants to do it sooner rather than later, Montreal should be looking real attractive to him.

Reactions: Runner77

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's a chance for sure, but it's very hard to project how his game will translate at the NHL level. We'll see how he does in the AHL and go from there. He's got to get stronger and with the NHL being such a speed game now, he should look to get quicker. He's not slow but he's certainly no burner.

He's a playmaker first and foremost. He's in the mold of how I prefer my centers. Great at face-offs, works hard at both ends, smart, and is a good passer/playmaker. He is on pace for a career high in goals but he doesn't shoot a ton and doesn't appear to have a great shot.

Down the road I would think more chance he's a 3rd liner or if he's on a bottom NHL team maybe a top 6 but I need to see how he handles the AHL first, as the smarts and effort are there for sure, if he's with guys that can score he'll get them the puck with passes that will surprise you.
I am hoping for a Dominic Moore type. Always liked his play here

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->