Prospect Info: Jake Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm curious what happens with Evans come March/April...

Will he sign? Will he be mature enough to perhaps step in the Habs lineup (unlikely I know).

He's a bit of an obscure prospect, but with what will be 4yrs at a strong program, he might be more of a prospect than we all think.

My "really can't wait" was not cynical. I'm really looking forward to see what the kid can do.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I am a fan of his. The few times I watched him last year, I was impressed. Would definitely love to see him signed to an ELC and make his way to Laval.

Maybe I'm being a little too blinded, but I get the sense that Evans, Poehling, and Ikonen can change the Habs' center position outlook.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I am a fan of his. The few times I watched him last year, I was impressed. Would definitely love to see him signed to an ELC and make his way to Laval.

Maybe I'm being a little too blinded, but I get the sense that Evans, Poehling, and Ikonen can change the Habs' center position outlook.

We'll have too many centers :laugh:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I suspect Ikonen will be a winger if he makes it to the NHL and I like Evans but am not sure that his upside is anything more than Torrey Mitchell.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I suspect Ikonen will be a winger if he makes it to the NHL and I like Evans but am not sure that his upside is anything more than Torrey Mitchell.

One can always hope for a Mike Keanan, Rick Green, or even a more mature Maxime Lapierre- defensively sound forwards who could chip in physicslly and on the scoreboard.

But, admitadely, my knowledge of Evans, as a person and a player, is limited. I wish all our players the best and I look forward to seeing his progression in the pros.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
One can always hope for a Mike Keanan, Rick Green, or even a more mature Maxime Lapierre- defensively sound forwards who could chip in physicslly and on the scoreboard.

But, admitadely, my knowledge of Evans, as a person and a player, is limited. I wish all our players the best and I look forward to seeing his progression in the pros.

His upside is what RNH is now.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If this is the case, I would categorize that as a steal since they got him in the 7th round. If his upside is met, obviously.

And even as Estimated_Prophet wrote, if Evans does become a Torrey Mitchell, I'd be content.

He's not overly big and he doesn't have an elite shot. But he's intelligent, a great playmaker. Smart defensively too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's not overly big and he doesn't have an elite shot. But he's intelligent, a great playmaker. Smart defensively too.

I recall reading that at development camp, he was one of the better players. They even said that during the scrimmages, he looked good with Scherbak. Now I don't know if that is because Evans did well or if Scherbak was underwhelming. Either way, I do like Evans. I wish they don't lose his rights next summer or just let them expire like they did Matt Bradley.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Was LeClair the last guy to come right out of four years of college and start playing NHL games in the spring?

I was at his first game. Scored a flukey goal.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I recall reading that at development camp, he was one of the better players. They even said that during the scrimmages, he looked good with Scherbak. Now I don't know if that is because Evans did well or if Scherbak was underwhelming. Either way, I do like Evans. I wish they don't lose his rights next summer or just let them expire like they did Matt Bradley.

They will sign him unless he wants to use the loophole. Not sure if he's eligible for it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They will sign him unless he wants to use the loophole. Not sure if he's eligible for it.

he's not, the loophole is for guys that after being drafted don't go directly to the NCAA, Evans did. Plus it's for players in their Junior year only. Now Evans is free to turn down the Habs offer next summer, then becoming a UFA on August 15th, 2018.

Jul 6, 2016
Was LeClair the last guy to come right out of four years of college and start playing NHL games in the spring?

I was at his first game. Scored a flukey goal.

Rooney and Maley too in 1986, and Chelios in 1984.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site

Admittedly, so is your knowledge of Rick Green....

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Don't think they had head coach or stay at home dmen in mind when they picked him.....:sarcasm:

May as well throw in Tim Raines and Chewbacca while you are at it lol

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jake Evans has had some pretty impressive development at the NCAA level.

2014-2015 (age 18): 17 pts in 41 games
2015-2016 (age 19): 33 pts in 37 games
2016-2017 (age 20): 42 pts in 40 games

This season... 2017-2018 (age 21):
- 8 pts in 4 games (2nd in league scoring)
- 62.1 FO%

He's listed at 6'-0" and 185 lbs. I have never seen him play but he seems to be a improving year after year and he's off to a great start this year. What can we expect from him ?

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Jake Evans has had some pretty impressive development at the NCAA level.

2014-2015 (age 18): 17 pts in 41 games
2015-2016 (age 19): 33 pts in 37 games
2016-2017 (age 20): 42 pts in 40 games

This season... 2017-2018 (age 21):
- 8 pts in 4 games (2nd in league scoring)
- 62.1 FO%

He's listed at 6'-0" and 185 lbs. I have never seen him play but he seems to be a very improving year after year and he's off to a great start this year. What can we expect from him ?

If all goes well, he can be a player similar to what Ryan Nugent Hopkins is for Edmonton now.. not what he was projected to be.

He's a slight, playmaking center. Smart on the ice in all three zones. Has some good hands. Not a very good shot. Needs to bulk up further.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If all goes well, he can be a player similar to what Ryan Nugent Hopkins is for Edmonton now.. not what he was projected to be.

He's a slight, playmaking center. Smart on the ice in all three zones. Has some good hands. Not a very good shot. Needs to bulk up further.

I don't have high hopes but he is someone we should watch over the next year or two. Seems to be a very good character guy with good all around skill. How is his skating as this is the most important part for a player at average size or below?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad