Prospect Info: Jake Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
you think he has legit top 6 potential? could he be converted to wing possibly if he doesn't pan out as a C when he turns pro? thanks as always, montreal.

Really like the lion's share of MB's late round picks so far. They've definitely shown more than most of our late picks of previous regimes. Again not saying much but it does look like we have more potential to find a diamond in the rough or two.

i'm sure he can play wing but he's really suited for center and I would think he'll stay there. If he gets stronger, he might have top 6 upside, but we won't really know until we see him in the AHL and how it goes for him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Solid college player but I don't see NHL upside. There is a reason he was drafted 207th overall.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Solid college player but I don't see NHL upside. There is a reason he was drafted 207th overall.

I can't get a read on him myself. I don't think there's enough oomph in his game but my opinion means diddly squat. For a 7th rounder he's been doing very well. I don't think he can be anything special but isn't he producing at Kristo's rate when he was in his last year while Evans still has 2 years left? Something comparable anyways. Mind you Kristo didn't pan out.

Faint praise but our long shot/late picks are pretty intriguing and are producing quite well.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
He's looking like a steal. You can add Hayden Hawkey to that mix too. 2.29 GAA 18th in the NCAA. Koberstein is playing a little better, less PIM's more points. I hate to say it but our college guys aren't that bad.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not a great game by Hayden Hawkey, however, letting in 5 goals on 25 shots.

Notre Dame is one of the hottest teams in the NCAA over the past 10 weeks or so. He gave up 7 in 2 games last time he faced them a few weeks ago but I saw both games and he played very well despite giving up 7 on 70 shots faced. Didn't see last night's game though so can't say how he looked.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Notre Dame is one of the hottest teams in the NCAA over the past 10 weeks or so. He gave up 7 in 2 games last time he faced them a few weeks ago but I saw both games and he played very well despite giving up 7 on 70 shots faced. Didn't see last night's game though so can't say how he looked.

Mitch Brown also posted a tweet showing a great save Hawkey made during this game. The save was even on a play Evans set up.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Drafted 207th overall, long shot, blah blah. Anybody after the 2nd round is a long shot. He is exactly the type of player we should be selecting at every pick, a guy with skill. Skating also important.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evans is over a ppg and at a higher clip in his Junior year then Kristo was in his Junior year. Kristo went on in his Senior year to be the 2nd league scorer in the NCAA so if Evans returns to ND it will be interesting to see what kind of year he has as they should get most of their team back depending on what Bjork does if he turns pro or not. Plus they are moving to the Big10 next year so that will put them on tv more.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evans team advances to face BC or BU depending on who wins UNH-UMass Lowell game today. Evans since Nov 25th has never gone more then 1 game without a point, and has only been held scoreless 4 times in the last 24 games with 27 points in that span.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Anybody know if Jake Evans wants to go back for his final year in the NCAA or will he turn pro after this year? Hopefully we can sign him before he becomes a UFA.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
how would you compare Evans at the NCAA level to Kristo and MacMillan
He produce as much, better 2 way game, bigger size as younger age most people would rate him bellow Kristo but some people on this board are really hyped about him also saw some ncaa people saying he was one of the most improved player this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Montreal how would you compare Evans at the NCAA level to Kristo and MacMillan

MacMillan was more average or so in the NCAA, he started to score more goals in his Senior year after Kristo and the rest were gone. He's faster and likely better in his own end then Evans at the same age (which would be Evans this year, MacMillan's Sophomore year) But Evans is better in at FO, smarter and a more offensively gifted.

Evans has been way better then Kristo if you compare them by age which would be Evans this year vs Kristo's Sophomore year. That's the year he started off really poorly but got better in the 2nd half. If you compare just their Junior years as of today it's neck and neck as Kristo had a 1.07 ppg and Evans has a 1.06 Now Kristo is faster and had a better shot but Evans is smarter, harder working and a better playmaker.

Kristo had a big Senior year with 52 pts in 40 games but there was always talk about his off-ice issues and not being the hardest worker. Evans is still skinny and lacks strength but he always seems to know what to do on the ice at both ends, is very skilled as well.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
MacMillan was more average or so in the NCAA, he started to score more goals in his Senior year after Kristo and the rest were gone. He's faster and likely better in his own end then Evans at the same age (which would be Evans this year, MacMillan's Sophomore year) But Evans is better in at FO, smarter and a more offensively gifted.

Evans has been way better then Kristo if you compare them by age which would be Evans this year vs Kristo's Sophomore year. That's the year he started off really poorly but got better in the 2nd half. If you compare just their Junior years as of today it's neck and neck as Kristo had a 1.07 ppg and Evans has a 1.06 Now Kristo is faster and had a better shot but Evans is smarter, harder working and a better playmaker.

Kristo had a big Senior year with 52 pts in 40 games but there was always talk about his off-ice issues and not being the hardest worker. Evans is still skinny and lacks strength but he always seems to know what to do on the ice at both ends, is very skilled as well.

If he doesn't sing this summer I hope he has a really strong senior year I think he can do more than 52 next year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Evans is an interesting 6th round pick. The issue that I remember having with Kristo was one of progress and commitment to being a pro. I never understood why he went back for his senior year. As I remember he wanted to finish his degree in recreation studies. His production was good, but it was always just good. He never seemed to want to take the next step.

Is it known where Evans will play next year?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Evans is an interesting 6th round pick. The issue that I remember having with Kristo was one of progress and commitment to being a pro. I never understood why he went back for his senior year. As I remember he wanted to finish his degree in recreation studies. His production was good, but it was always just good. He never seemed to want to take the next step.

Is it known where Evans will play next year?

Evans was a 7th rounder, 207th overall. It's not known where he will play next year, either Notre Dame (who are leaving the HE and moving to the Big Ten next season) or Laval. I don't know what his plans or the Habs, I could see him going back to the NCAA since he's still 20 and would be 21 next season, to work on getting stronger and adding some mass. He needs more strength then mass imo, but the only other thing I could see the Habs wanting him to stay in the NCAA would be if they felt he wouldn't get proper ice time in Laval but I don't think that would be an issue.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Evans was a 7th rounder, 207th overall. It's not known where he will play next year, either Notre Dame (who are leaving the HE and moving to the Big Ten next season) or Laval. I don't know what his plans or the Habs, I could see him going back to the NCAA since he's still 20 and would be 21 next season, to work on getting stronger and adding some mass. He needs more strength then mass imo, but the only other thing I could see the Habs wanting him to stay in the NCAA would be if they felt he wouldn't get proper ice time in Laval but I don't think that would be an issue.

Another season in the NCAA is what I would do. 1 - Ensure Lefebvre isn't the coach in Laval. 2 - Allow him another season without a lot of games to put more work into the weight room. 3 - The Big Ten is a better conference, no? So he should face tougher competition night in and night out?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another season in the NCAA is what I would do. 1 - Ensure Lefebvre isn't the coach in Laval. 2 - Allow him another season without a lot of games to put more work into the weight room. 3 - The Big Ten is a better conference, no? So he should face tougher competition night in and night out?

1) Well they would know who the coach in Laval would be by the time they signed him, as Lefebvre's contract is up, so if they were to replace him, I'm sure they will have that planned out by the time the summer gets here.

2) he could certainly stand to hit the weight room, it would give him time to work on getting stronger and he would still be 22 when he heads to the AHL full time.

3) no, I'd say right now the HE is the strongest conference with the NCHC and Big Ten next up. All 3 are heavy with NHL draft picks, as BC, BU, Notre Dame, are loaded in the HE, plus they have good programs like Maine, UNH, Providence, etc.. The Big Ten has Minnesota which is always loaded, Michigan had a down year but they usually get top draft picks as well. Wisconsin, Ohio St, Michigan St are solid programs for sure. The NCHC pulls in the NHL draft picks with North Dakota, Denver, and then others like UMD, CC, SCSU, Miami.

If you go by the pairwise as of today, which is how they pick the Frozen Four, the top 16 is made up,

HE- 5 (BU, UMass-Lowell, Notre Dame, Providence, BC)
NCHC- 4 (Denver, UMD, Western Michigan, ND)
Big Ten- 3 (Minnesota, Ohio St, Penn St)
ECAC- 3 (Havard, Union, Cornell)
Atlantic- 1 (Air Force)

granted that's going to change after this weekend but just wanted to give an idea of how the conferences shape up.

The good news for me is that I have the Big Ten network, so I would get to see a ton of Notre Dame next year (they are on tv a lot to begin with but would certainly see more of them)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Not sure The Big Ten is a better conference than Hockey East.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Evans is playing at the td garden for the final spot in hockey east right now

pled

Sep 7, 2009
so providence will play Harvard and Notre-dame will play Minnesota for the frozen four tournament.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Tough break for Notre Dame, they are in a really tough regional. Providence fairs better, if they can beat Havard they could be Frozen Four bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad