Prospect Info: Jake DeBrusk

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Ya with my net presence comment, I meant he seemed to know where to go when he didn't have the puck and when he did have the puck, he floated some nice passes out front. So ya I think his hockey sense is good too. Needs to work on his shot a bit more, quicker release and of course harder. I hope he slots into the top 6 in a couple years, just not so sure...and hate me all you want but kyle connor has what we would consider top line talent, let alone top 6. As a late 1st, I would have been fine with him and senyshyn, but when guys like connor, barzal, Konecny are available, I guess I'm still just sour. I feel a bit better watching him tonight. Saw him lots last year and really didn't impress me once. He was noticeable in a very good way tonight.

Great post - I fully admit I wanted all 3 of the guys you mentioned - exactly those 3. I felt a lot better after watching him last night as well. Time will tell as the NHL is bigger and faster but I feel good he has what it takes in skills and just as important knows his way around the offensive zone

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
He looked good last night, definitely more involved. Congrats to the kid.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I hope he slots into the top 6 in a couple years, just not so sure...and hate me all you want but kyle connor has what we would consider top line talent, let alone top 6. As a late 1st, I would have been fine with him and senyshyn, but when guys like connor, barzal, Konecny are available, I guess I'm still just sour.
I think that if you're drafting outside the Top 10, if you pick a player who spends a decent amount of time in the NHL, then you did a good job.

As it stands today, I think the Bruins picked seven or eight guys last year that have a real chance to produce in the NHL. That's HUGE.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
DeBrusk seems like a big game player, who plays a style perfectly suited for the NHL playoffs. I'm liking this pick a lot more these days. I'd rather him over Barzal (not Connor though).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I almost wish I had snow to shovel this to so excellent;) makes the time go by

Watched DeBrusk twice in past month on NHL network and he got player of the game both times so tough to really get an idea who he really is when you only get the good stuff

Kirk does a nice job here on Jake & Lauzon.

Pretty excited

It may be Lauzon or Heinen or Frankie V or Jesse Gabreille or whoever but we are going to stick a few bullseyes we may not have expected and it's going to be fun.

Great to listen to Kirk describe Lauzon as a hybrid of the best qualities of Carlo & Zboril.

These particular two come across as intelligent well raised and maybe even charismatic. Lauzon strikes me as a kid that fans are going to really love here

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Love listening to him talk. Informed and articulate insight for all B's fans - it should be required listening.

When Reed and I do the podcast with Kirk, don't hold that against me. I'm not at that level !!:laugh:

Seriously though, It will be a great listen. It's not often Kirk and I disagree, and not often with Reed either, although there have been a few.

The risk is it running to long. And we all know how play by play guys (Reed) can ramble on forever :laugh:. But I promise it will be informative and at the same time surprising to some.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
When Reed and I do the podcast with Kirk, don't hold that against me. I'm not at that level !!:laugh:

Seriously though, It will be a great listen. It's not often Kirk and I disagree, and not often with Reed either, although there have been a few.

The risk is it running to long. And we all know how play by play guys (Reed) can ramble on forever :laugh:. But I promise it will be informative and at the same time surprising to some.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that even if it goes on for an hour and a half, I will gladly listen. Lay the knowledge upon us! Really looking forward to hearing you on there man.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Kirk's thoughts on Fabbro really got my attention

I just asked Kirk on twitter if he thinks Fabbro would be a good pick for the B's at 14. Based purely on rankings I'm sure some would be crying "reach" for a 2nd year in a row, but I like what I heard from Kirk.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Kirk's thoughts on Fabbro really got my attention

I just asked Kirk on twitter if he thinks Fabbro would be a good pick for the B's at 14. Based purely on rankings I'm sure some would be crying "reach" for a 2nd year in a row, but I like what I heard from Kirk.

Mine too. He sees Chychrun falling and Fabbro as a steal/underrated . Wonder what happens if they are both still available at 14

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Mine too. He sees Chychrun falling and Fabbro as a steal/underrated . Wonder what happens if they are both still available at 14

haha I was just considering that scenario and wondering if they'd have a chance to trade up using the San Jose pick to get both of them

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jake was interviewed on Hockey Central today. He handles the media well. Very well spoken.

They did a special feature on him last night between the second and third period. If he makes it he's going to be a go to guy for the media.

Fabbro is going to BU so seeing him with JFK will be an added plus and a good reason to go to some games

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
when Debrusk was picked and started making the media rounds he reminded me a lot of Zach Parise. Good looking, incredibly articulate kid (and maybe not a bad on-ice comparable either based on what I've read). If he can become even half as good as Parise then I'll be really happy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Haven't seen him live but starting to figure out what I think about him by watching him every second of every shift in the televised games

I thought he was going to be this shoot first guy but just the opposite he looks to make the best play possible and it seems he has already processed it in his mind before the puck arrives because when he gets it his action is decisive

He's got that extra gear in the offensive zone when he gets the puck with s little time and space - he's going North with conviction

His feet sometimes aren't moving but I don't think he's not a good skater maybe just knit picking

My recent viewing is he's better and different than I thought

If he can keep up with the pace that allows his hands and decision making to play out this looks like an extra base pick which is a good thing

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Haven't seen him live but starting to figure out what I think about him by watching him every second of every shift in the televised games

I thought he was going to be this shoot first guy but just the opposite he looks to make the best play possible and it seems he has already processed it in his mind before the puck arrives because when he gets it his action is decisive

He's got that extra gear in the offensive zone when he gets the puck with s little time and space - he's going North with conviction

His feet sometimes aren't moving but I don't think he's not a good skater maybe just knit picking

My recent viewing is he's better and different than I thought

If he can keep up with the pace that allows his hands and decision making to play out this looks like an extra base pick which is a good thing

I'm in the same boat. The vast majority of his plays have a quiet confidence about them, be it a little lay off or a play around the boards that's almost always the correct decision. Everything about him screams 'this guy knows the game'.

Re: skating - I'd say his smarts make him a good skater. From the games I've seen he's frequently the first to pop up in the right place, even just as a deterrent. It's impressive when you begin the notice it.

If he wants to hang out in front of the net as much at the next level he's gonna have to pack on the pounds... but it will come

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
DeBrusk beaten clean out of the corner to the net in the defensive zone on the 2nd Huskies goal.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
DeBrusk beaten clean out of the corner to the net in the defensive zone on the 2nd Huskies goal.

yep, it`s an area most kids need to work on and get stronger at, but I saw alot of really positive things from him in the few games over this past week which far outweigh the mistakes here and there

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Not his best game but you can see he makes decisions and physical plays many don't

Not finished but I feel good about Jake DeBrusk

It's interesting he was rumored to be the Flyers guy with their 20's pick and he reminds me of one of those guys who would have fit great on the 1980's young Flyers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00