Prospect Info: Jake DeBrusk

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This kid gets no love but he had a very strong playoff statistically and will be playing in the Memorial Cup soon.

Haven't seen a lot of him live but the games I've seen and folks I respect who watch him like him.

He strikes me as a guy who's going to be a really good player.

I'm super excited about him but he gets little buzz- he plays down low and battles in every zone

Also WBC8 loved him last year and he is on an epic roll at least in his texts to me the past year getting **** right so not going against Lou and he likes him quite a bit

He played very well in playoffs which is very good sign

Excited the Rebels are in hosting Memorial Cup so can see him

Btw mods can you correct name to Jake

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This kid gets no love but he had a very strong playoff statistically and will be playing in the Memorial Cup soon.

Haven't seen a lot of him live but the games I've seen and folks I respect who watch him like him.

I'm super excited about him but he gets little buzz- he plays down low and battles in every zone

Also WBC8 loved him last year and he is on an epic roll at least in his texts to me the past year getting **** right so not going against Lou and he likes him quite a bit

No worries at all about him. Will be a big net front guy and garbage goal scorer.. Also has a nice shot and insane hands. If you notice the Bruins are really going for the guys with the sick hands scoring wise in DeBrusk, ZS and Vatrano...All super between the dots 10-15 feet out.

Patty59 loved him and originally turned me on to him early in 2015.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I haven't read about anyone seeing him and coming up disappointed, I'm also really excited for this pick. I also still really like Zboril who plays Bs hockey to a T when he is giving it his all.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
He is a super strong player down low, and really shows up when it counts. He carried his team in the playoffs. I honestly think he has a better chance of success in the NHL than Senyshyn.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
He is a super strong player down low, and really shows up when it counts. He carried his team in the playoffs. I honestly think he has a better chance of success in the NHL than Senyshyn.

I do too, he as less of the flash fans like to see and doesn't have all of Senyshyn tool, but he understand the game better imho.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

looking forward to seeing the kid, then I`ll be able to comment with, at the very least, a few viewings, wondering if those so opposed to the pick have seen the kid play even once:naughty:

Not at all implying you

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Strong hockey sense, not afraid of corners or the blue paint and a battler that can score in a veriety of ways. These are exactly the type of guys you win big games with.

Full disclaimer just in case I get called out for not liking the pick. I still don't like the pick, the player from what I've seen looks solid though. I'm hoping he turns into a TJ Oshie type player for the B's.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Wouldn't it be great if we had two prospects that embody both sides of the spectrum. One that was big, fast, great shot, your prototypical flashy sniper. The other that plays a gritty 200 foot game, heady, and is money around the net and in the dirty areas.

Wow, I wish the B's had diverse prospects that brought different things to the table like that...

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Wouldn't it be great if we had two prospects that embody both sides of the spectrum. One that was big, fast, great shot, your prototypical flashy sniper. The other that plays a gritty 200 foot game, heady, and is money around the net and in the dirty areas.

Wow, I wish the B's had diverse prospects that brought different things to the table like that...

Does that even exist? Ovechkin in his first 5-6 years. Right now, Tarasenko maybe or Seguin? Probably depends on what qualify has "flashy", but I would say flashy and goals scorer in the NHL are two things that doesn't fit togheter often.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
But the main board told me he had a terrible year, and won't amount to anything!

Can't wait until all 3 of them are playing in the NHL.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
If you look at Chris Kunitz, that's DeBrusk's potential. He's had an awesome playoff for the Rebels.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Only 2nd to Helewka in playoff scoring for the Rebels. Hopefully he follows up a strong WHL playoff showing with an equal or better Mem Cup. Good luck to the kid.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Strong hockey sense, not afraid of corners or the blue paint and a battler that can score in a veriety of ways. These are exactly the type of guys you win big games with.

Full disclaimer just in case I get called out for not liking the pick. I still don't like the pick, the player from what I've seen looks solid though. I'm hoping he turns into a TJ Oshie type player for the B's.

I like the Oshie conp, DeBrusk imo is better around the net and not as much of a bull in a China shop style.

I may be to jacked on him by going on the last game I saw him against Calgary where he got first star.

I was shocked at the pick there but if he's a top 6 who cares and I think he is

I like Sweeney went for a couple of wingers who can score and from close range

Complain about the players they took but not the reasoning behind it

Oh I forgot the media doesn't know what the plan is Sweeney just reached for two guys

toreykingkrug

Nov 28, 2014
If you watch the draft live on NBCSN, after picking Zboril Bob Mackenzie just said exactly I think Bruins may go a little off board to pick a scoring winger Jake DeBrusk from Swift. Than rest was history. He successfully predicted the first two, the third he and Craig Button said Kyle Connor, Pierre said Colin White. At least in these experienced guys' eyes, that kind of selections are what Boston was gonna to do. So in the past year, a lot of people just act like it is so awful or something should never happen. What the **** you are astonished about ?

I love Connor and White, if it were me I will definitely pick one. But I love him too. Like I said numerous times, he is the safest of all three in my eyes. I don't give a **** about how many scored before NHL. It is the heart, style and IQ that I care about most. I like what I see from this boy. Just because Senyshyn scored 45 doesn't mean he is a lot better. Yeah some people just said he lit it up because of the 45. lol what? You must have a very low standard of lighting up. He is still outside of top 20 in the O scoring and has a very low number of assists. And not act like Soo's players are all garbage ok? If I say I like the positiveness of him, it is because his style not the number. Just using his speed straight to the net, very sexy. But another thought, will he be able to translate successful when facing tougher defenders in NHL? For example when facing better team Erie in playoffs he didn't have a good series. However he seems like a hard worker and a great kid too. And maybe he eventually figure it out. Who doesn't love a player like Kreider? Maybe he can just become another reach pick by Keith whose name is Blake Wheeler, then I will be very happy. Not bashing Senyshyn, just my concerns. And someone just stats watching then making a conclusion, that is very ridiculous.

Back to Jake, I've write all my thoughts about him in prospect thread in post 589. What I like is two-way game, nasty edge and hard working. The more watching, listening and reading, the more I'm thinking a player named Loui Eriksson. Loui is not nasty, Jake is a punchbag. He for sure has tons to learn too. Maybe he eventually becomes a disappointment. But something never should do is making him a wonderful nickname Jake DeBust after one year. Some losers in life will just throw random words in order to troll or attract one's attentions. Fine, but if you have so many spare time why not do something useful, not being hard on a kid who has been pretty unlucky in the past year. Especially he has yet to play a single pro game.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
If you watch the draft live on NBCSN, after picking Zboril Bob Mackenzie just said exactly I think Bruins may go a little off board to pick a scoring winger Jake DeBrusk from Swift. Than rest was history. He successfully predicted the first two, the third he and Craig Button said Kyle Connor, Pierre said Colin White. At least in these experienced guys' eyes, that kind of selections are what Boston was gonna to do. So in the past year, a lot of people just act like it is so awful or something should never happen. What the **** you are astonished about ?

I love Connor and White, if it were me I will definitely pick one. But I love him too. Like I said numerous times, he is the safest of all three in my eyes. I don't give a **** about how many scored before NHL. It is the heart, style and IQ that I care about most. I like what I see from this boy. Just because Senyshyn scored 45 doesn't mean he is a lot better. Yeah some people just said he lit it up because of the 45. lol what? You must have a very low standard of lighting up. He is still outside of top 20 in the O scoring and has a very low number of assists. And not act like Soo's players are all garbage ok? If I say I like the positiveness of him, it is because his style not the number. Just using his speed straight to the net, very sexy. But another thought, will he be able to translate successful when facing tougher defenders in NHL? For example when facing better team Erie in playoffs he didn't have a good series. However he seems like a hard worker and a great kid too. And maybe he eventually figure it out. Who doesn't love a player like Kreider? Maybe he can just become another reach pick by Keith whose name is Blake Wheeler, then I will be very happy. Not bashing Senyshyn, just my concerns. And someone just stats watching then making a conclusion, that is very ridiculous.

Back to Jake, I've write all my thoughts about him in prospect thread in post 589. What I like is two-way game, nasty edge and hard working. The more watching, listening and reading, the more I'm thinking a player named Loui Eriksson. Loui is not nasty, Jake is a punchbag. He for sure has tons to learn too. Maybe he eventually becomes a disappointment. But something never should do is making him a wonderful nickname Jake DeBust after one year. Some losers in life will just throw random words in order to troll or attract one's attentions. Fine, but if you have so many spare time why not do something useful, not being hard on a kid who has been pretty unlucky in the past year. Especially he has yet to play a single pro game.

So you say people that stat watch are ridiculous then you reel off a bunch of stats about Senyshyn? Righto! To be honest, theres much interest surrounding Zach because of where they took him, in other words "This kid better be damned good or else". Then he goes out and pots 45 goals, a bulk of them highlight reel goals then yes, of course there is going to be hype and excitement. DeBrusk had a quiet year and not much gets thrown around about him here so of course the hype and excitement level is a lot lower.

toreykingkrug

Nov 28, 2014
So you say people that stat watch are ridiculous then you reel off a bunch of stats about Senyshyn? Righto! To be honest, theres much interest surrounding Zach because of where they took him, in other words "This kid better be damned good or else". Then he goes out and pots 45 goals, a bulk of them highlight reel goals then yes, of course there is going to be hype and excitement. DeBrusk had a quiet year and not much gets thrown around about him here so of course the hype and excitement level is a lot lower.

Maybe I pick the wrong word since my native language is not English. What I mean is someone just pick whatever they like and ignore the rest. For example there are people just said he lit it up and his teammates were how awful, that is not the truth. He is really far away from lighting up. What about scoring several beauties and set up others. And I did say I don't care how many you scored before NHL. That is not important. But if you just rely on rushing and speed even you scored 100 in juniors I will be worried. You will never that kind of space in NHL. And I'm not saying he is bad, or don't act like I hate him. I just said that is my concerns and it won't be easy to translate that into NHL career, and he needs to learn a lot. And I did say a lot positive about him, you just ignore it. What I can do ?

What I mean is people just after draft+1 season, one score 45, wow,there are people call him elite prospect and future what what, then the other had an up and down season there are people call him bust. That is ridiculous. I think Jake will be easier to translate to NHL dut to the style. And that is my gut feeling, never said it is right. If one day Seny become what he projected, be a core player in the future cup winning team, I will be very happy for him. Even my beloved Connor become a HOFer, I won't be too sad.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
The kid is good player, lots to like with him. I never understood why anyone would be down on him.

That would be "potentially" missed opportunity.

DeBrusk and ZS perception - both fair and unfair - will have as much to do with their own performance as that of Barzal and Connor, whom were passed on in favor of whom Sweeney chose to take instead.

It is hard for me personally to not see Connor tear up NCAA and be considered one of top 5 NHL prospects (pre draft 16) and see DeBrusk who salvaged an OK reg season with a fantastic playoffs, and STILL feel Bruins took wrong guy.

I felt it on draft night and have yet to be proven wrong - maybe and hopefully that happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad