Prospect Info: Jake DeBrusk

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
I'm far from a Dub "expert" (moved away from my Dub-hub years ago) which is why it is rare for me to comment on WHL players these days. I don't ever correct spelling but if someone were to come on here and post something negative about "Krayche" then "Krahjci" you might wonder if they had ever actually watched this Krejci fellow play, no?

I guess I'm being a bit of a jerk about your Barzal analysis because I think some of the stuff written about him is made up fluff to begin with and then recycled around the net (I also got to spend a little time with the 'TBirds team this year and I'm now going DKH/Knight on him). I think it is worth analyzing DeBrusk over Barzal not as a *****-and-moan exercise but because looking at the strengths and weaknesses of both players will go a long way for us in understanding the overall drafting strategy of the Bruins braintrust because he is a great kid and there is no way they would have passed on him due to personality.

I think there's the problem here right now. Too many ****** negativity on those pick by some at the start alot of people got sensitive and now we can't try to discuss the picks without being seen as some kind of Bruins hater. It's sad.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Last night was the first look at DeBrusk (in real game action) for many Bruins fans here and I'm wondering what your overall reaction was?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I watched a greasy meth head lookin pitcher instead last night, that one is on me everyone, I take full responsibility for my idiocy.

Would love to hear from people who watched him though

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Last night was the first look at DeBrusk (in real game action) for many Bruins fans here and I'm wondering what your overall reaction was?

Only watch the 1st period. Not a fan of Red Deers lines. Not enough talent to spread it out that much imho.

Debrusk wasn't visible outside of a power play where he made unspectacular but crisp passes.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I'm far from a Dub "expert" (moved away from my Dub-hub years ago) which is why it is rare for me to comment on WHL players these days. I don't ever correct spelling but if someone were to come on here and post something negative about "Krayche" then "Krahjci" you might wonder if they had ever actually watched this Krejci fellow play, no?

I guess I'm being a bit of a jerk about your Barzal analysis because I think some of the stuff written about him is made up fluff to begin with and then recycled around the net (I also got to spend a little time with the 'TBirds team this year and I'm now going DKH/Knight on him). I think it is worth analyzing DeBrusk over Barzal not as a *****-and-moan exercise but because looking at the strengths and weaknesses of both players will go a long way for us in understanding the overall drafting strategy of the Bruins braintrust because he is a great kid and there is no way they would have passed on him due to personality.

I'm definitely no expert in projecting players but get frustrated with the 'Oh, but they could've drafted Barzal!' comments. How many 5'11" playmaking centres are even in the NHL? Sure - maybe he becomes Claude Giroux but just as easily he's Zach Hamill redux.
If I had my druthers I would've picked DeBrusk over Barzal.
I highly doubt any of Boston's three picks become the best NHLer available at that spot - but my money wouldn't be on Barzal either.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Watched the game and he was invisible. But i never liked the pick. One reach was enough, should have gone with a consensus pick like Connor at least or Barzal. Oh well.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I watched him play in Regina against the Pats, Game 6. His skating was noticeably better than most (if not all) guys on the ice. Had a nice goal which showed off his hands and speed by catching a fast break on the left wing, he put the puck low on the net, collected his own rebound and scored. But he also created a horrendous turnover in his own zone leading to a quick goal for the Pats laterm on. Seemed to be sleep walking on that play. Outside of that, didn't notice him much for the rest of the game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I only saw him against the Calgary Hitmen and he got 2 goals an assist on winner and was first star

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I didn't see too much to get too excited about yesterday. Granted, it was against the Knights but it isn't like they got edged out, they got completely dominated.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
One of the commentators made a good point last night - the TV timeouts in the Memorial Cup give the players a little extra rest, which allowed the Knights to use the Marner line to an even greater degree than they normally do. Red Deer didn't stand a chance

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
Debrusk takes heat that is better directed at management. Debrusk was projected as a very late first round type prospect, the fact that the Bruins traded RFA Hamilton for pennies and then turned around and passed on consensus higher prospects like Connor and Barzal for debrusk isn't the kids fault. FYI before you start I know he technically got picked with Bruins selection not Calgary pick, but they had 3 in a row, zboril was rated there, senyshyn has home run potential and swinging for fences fine in first. But debrusk or maybe senyshyn should have been Connor or barzal according to almost any scouting service you can name. I laugh every time Druin scores for Tampa cause by the logic of Bruins management and half this board he would have been dealt in March for crap cause....wait for it.....he don't wanna be a bruin! Yzerman has a bleeping brain and said you don't like it here, too bleeping bad we hold your rights and you can sit on your a$$ before I give you away. That management quality is why Tampa still playing and Bruins have been golfing for weeks.

Can't tell much in 1 game, especially one in which you or team got obliterated. But what I saw jives with what I have always read, the kids a legit nhl prospect and he has a chance to be a decent nhl player. It ain't the kids fault that he is not expected to be the impact player barzal and especially Connor are. I wouldn't have picked him but he is here now, hopefully he continues to develop and is at least s middle six well rounded winger.

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Watched the game and he was invisible. But i never liked the pick. One reach was enough, should have gone with a consensus pick like Connor at least or Barzal. Oh well.

He's invisible because he's exactly like loui eriksson. Doesn't stand out but occasionally you'll look up and he scored 2 goals without you even realizing it. Best case scenario loui is who he turns into. Jack of all trades master of none

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He's invisible because he's exactly like loui eriksson. Doesn't stand out but occasionally you'll look up and he scored 2 goals without you even realizing it. Best case scenario loui is who he turns into. Jack of all trades master of none

That is a crap comparison. Loui is never invisible.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
You either trust your scouts, or you don't.

And if you don't trust them, why do they work for you?

FWIW, the encouraging thing from DeBrusk is that at various times this year, you've seen flashes of real talent. I thought he was supposed to be an average skater, but every time I've seen him, he looks like one of the fastest kids on the ice. I know the hands are there, and he's flashed an NHL shot. He's versatile, he's smart, he competes, and he works hard in his own end.

I'm more convinced today than I was on draft day that he'll be an NHL player. He's got the tools... he just needs to be able to put them together consistently.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
He looked pretty good out there today. Still don't think he will make it as a top 6 guy but he had a good game. Couple good things, he goes to the net, seems to have good net presence, and seemed to set up some guys with good passes but his linemates had some stone hands. I just don't see anything though that really stands out. Not a great skater or shooter but again, he did have a much better game and hopefully he continues to improve.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I just don't see anything though that really stands out. Not a great skater or shooter but again, he did have a much better game and hopefully he continues to improve.
This was probably the 4th time I've seen him play on TV, and I continue to be very impressed by his hands and his hockey sense. I was also under the impression that he needed to work on his skating, but I would say he's got better than average speed.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
This was probably the 4th time I've seen him play on TV, and I continue to be very impressed by his hands and his hockey sense. I was also under the impression that he needed to work on his skating, but I would say he's got better than average speed.

Ya with my net presence comment, I meant he seemed to know where to go when he didn't have the puck and when he did have the puck, he floated some nice passes out front. So ya I think his hockey sense is good too. Needs to work on his shot a bit more, quicker release and of course harder. I hope he slots into the top 6 in a couple years, just not so sure...and hate me all you want but kyle connor has what we would consider top line talent, let alone top 6. As a late 1st, I would have been fine with him and senyshyn, but when guys like connor, barzal, Konecny are available, I guess I'm still just sour. I feel a bit better watching him tonight. Saw him lots last year and really didn't impress me once. He was noticeable in a very good way tonight.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If DeBrusk does not make the NHL it's because of his skating which isn't all that bad. Got a guy who scored 42 goals last year he sure has shown in the games I've seen a centers awareness and passing ability.

He plays in and around traffic has good size his hockey sense seems a plus.

His personality will play well here in Boston.

The last two times I saw him were in huge games and he came up big.

I also didn't know he not only had 'surgery' on the 'boys' in season and came back early

I'd say the chances of him being a top 9 NHL forward and a good one are mite probable than not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad