Player Discussion Jake "Big Tuna" Virtanen | XVII Nikolaj Who...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Another good game, but you can still see the limitations in his game.

If he's to be successful, he has to be consistent in using his physical tools to the best of his abilities. His goal and shot off the post were both utilizations of his great skating and shot, but also reminiscent of the same kinds of things he could get away with in junior: skate skate skate down the wing, burn the defender and the goalie. That's not going to cut it as often in the NHL, even if his skating and shot are plus calibre. If he's not always driving hard at defenders and moving his feet, he won't bring much to the team. Hockey IQ is just not really there, and for him to be his best he really relies on effective outless passes that catch him in stride, or a center to swing low and bump it up to him while he gains speed.

This pre-season is encouraging; maybe he can turn into an Evander Kane-lite.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I was very happy with his game tonight, I think he did a lot of little things well. It wasn't just the scoring, it was a bunch of other things as well.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's seriously starting to look like a top 10 pick. He played exactly the way you would envision him to play.

Green is a genius.

Reactions: MadCard05

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

If he's to be successful, he has to be consistent in using his physical tools to the best of his abilities. His goal and shot off the post were both utilizations of his great skating and shot, but also reminiscent of the same kinds of things he could get away with in junior: skate skate skate down the wing, burn the defender and the goalie. That's not going to cut it as often in the NHL, even if his skating and shot are plus calibre. If he's not always driving hard at defenders and moving his feet, he won't bring much to the team. Hockey IQ is just not really there, and for him to be his best he really relies on effective outless passes that catch him in stride, or a center to swing low and bump it up to him while he gains speed.

Not so sure I agree on his hockey IQ, it seems much better during these preseason games. Look at his goal last night, instead of rushing to the net after he passed it, he played back and got open ice to get a shot, he’s also made other plays during the preseason that has shown a smarter thinking player than we’ve seen in the past.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Willie split up baertschi horvat virtanen in preseason 2 years ago when they had 14 points combined in 1 game.

He split them up the next game. It was the most insane thing I have ever seen and I guarentee Jake felt mega confused.

Green is here and ready to not be a lunatic twitchboard knobstache.

Reactions: NastyNate

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Although seriously, it is relieving to see signs of life out of him. I was really unhappy how he wasn't even a good AHL player last season, and I'm glad to see him flying out of the gate in preseason. Will he keep it up? TBD, but a good start this season at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

lol, pro scout Bossram. Just joking, that"s a fair assessment.

I think he needs to be given a chance. He looks like he loves the game again after a tough introduction to the NHL and higher play. I say we enjoy it and let the kid play but people like Canafan and MS can continue to pretend they even tried on the skates before and criticize they heck out of our team, when they in fact would get destroyed out there.

I guess googling and conjuring up said bullshit makes some people think they know the sport.

On a side note I think his direct shooting and going five hole, post, etc, is a reflection of him being more comfortable trying what works. I'm still laughing at all these internet wannabes on this site that try to critique his specific game. Like they haven't seen him play live, nor are they at practices. Tools!

Last edited:
Reactions: MAGICMAN1963

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

I think he needs to be given a chance. He looks like he loves the game again after a tough introduction to the NHL and higher play. I say we enjoy it and let the kid play but people like Canafan and MS can continue to pretend they even tried on the skates before and criticize they heck out of our team, when they in fact would get destroyed out there.

I guess googling and conjuring up said bull**** makes some people think they know the sport.

On a side note I think his direct shooting and going five hole, post, etc, is a reflection of him being more comfortable trying what works. I'm still laughing at all these internet wannabes on this site that try to critique his specific game. Like they haven't seen him play live, nor are they at practices. Tools!

Out of curiousity but what qualifies you as a better judge of talent than Canafan and MS (since you mentioned them)?

Last edited:

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
From what he was looking like last year? Absolutely.

From what we could have had with the 6th pick in 2014? Absolutely not.

Tkachuck had 13 goals last year and it was considered great, granted that was his first year, however he may never score more then 20.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Out of curiousity but what qualifies you as a better talent than Canafan and MS (since you mentioned them)?

I would say everyone on here has pretty much the same value in this regard, even if they believe otherwise.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Tkachuck had 13 goals last year and it was considered great, granted that was his first year, however he may never score more then 20.

It was great cause he was 18/19 years old. He's also more a playmaker than a goalscorer.

Jake is 21 and is much more a goal scorer than a playmaker.

Quite a flawed comparison.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I guess googling and conjuring up said bull**** makes some people think they know the sport.

What the hell are you rambling on about?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

Yeah, he's back to doing the stuff he was doing well a couple years ago, it's certainly an improvement relative to last season.

Unfortunately you just don't learn hockey sense at age 20 trying to make an NHL team. It doesn't work like that. But at least now he's working and hustling and looks like he might salvage an NHL career.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would say everyone on here has pretty much the same value in this regard, even if they believe otherwise.
I definitely don't agree. As much as it isn't necessarily nice to say, poster who have developed a reputation as good talent evaluators over years of posting (like orcatown and MS and others) have opinions that I take more seriously than most others.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Although seriously, it is relieving to see signs of life out of him. I was really unhappy how he wasn't even a good AHL player last season, and I'm glad to see him flying out of the gate in preseason. Will he keep it up? TBD, but a good start this season at least.

This. This exactly. Good post again PC

I hope i turn out to of been dead wrong about Virtanen but its still TBD

Reactions: Nomobo and Hansen

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver

And what about his assist totals? 40-50 every year? 60-65 point player that plays an old school game combined with elite hockey sense. Pretty unique player.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah, he's back to doing the stuff he was doing well a couple years ago, it's certainly an improvement relative to last season.

Unfortunately you just don't learn hockey sense at age 20 trying to make an NHL team. It doesn't work like that. But at least now he's working and hustling and looks like he might salvage an NHL career.

He just doesn't have the high-end hockey sense to ever be a top line player. Best case scenario is poor mans, Chris Kreider.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
He just doesn't have the high-end hockey sense to ever be a top line player. Best case scenario is poor mans, Chris Kreider.

I think this line of thought is very over blown. You make it sound like he has a hard time getting his skates on the right feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad