Player Discussion Jake "Big Tuna" Virtanen | XVII Nikolaj Who...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Meh, I agree people need to keep things in perspective about his age, but he chose his path knowing full well he'd be in the spotlight and under a magnifying glass, and he also chose to make a lot of the decisions that are drawing the criticism/judgement.

If he was too delicate to handle that, he shouldn't have chosen a career as a professional athlete—McDonalds employee, maybe?

Its fair to say this, but its also unrealistic to expect him to understand the gravity of his position, likely going through life with relative ease, being so talented, physically gifted and thus more skilled at his previous levels not to mention surrounded in an environment that likely insulates him from the grim reality of the world ( being big strong and popular in high school = some pretty serious tang )

JV now has to take a different approach to conditioning, preparation and all-around professionalism, its too early to tell if he fully gets this, but the signs are positive

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
images

Pretty sure he's #18.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
...If he was too delicate to handle that, he shouldn't have chosen a career as a professional athlete—McDonalds employee, maybe?

Chosen? Not sure we should be characterizing these kids getting drafted, as them choosing a career. To be frank, he was a kid, playing a game he was damn good at when the NHL that came calling.

All I am saying is that there is a lot of pressure on these kids.. and yes they are kids... some have the maturity of a Sydney Crosby at an early age, and some never mature... from what we have seen from Jake over the last year, he looks like he used the time to develop as a young man. I am not suggesting that the kid is ready for the NHL yet, but I would hope that fans look at a different player in camp this year, one that appears to have learned a thing or two. What else can we ask of him at this point? It is a huge step in the right direction...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Chosen? Not sure we should be characterizing these kids getting drafted, as them choosing a career. To be frank, he was a kid, playing a game he was damn good at when the NHL that came calling.

All I am saying is that there is a lot of pressure on these kids.. and yes they are kids... some have the maturity of a Sydney Crosby at an early age, and some never mature... from what we have seen from Jake over the last year, he looks like he used the time to develop as a young man. I am not suggesting that the kid is ready for the NHL yet, but I would hope that fans look at a different player in camp this year, one that appears to have learned a thing or two. What else can we ask of him at this point? It is a huge step in the right direction...

Uh, he didn't "choose" to be an NHL player?

That makes no sense. If he signed a contract to play pro hockey he "chose" it as much as any of us chose our careers. He sure as hell didn't stumble into it by accident.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Uh, he didn't "choose" to be an NHL player?

That makes no sense. If he signed a contract to play pro hockey he "chose" it as much as any of us chose our careers. He sure as hell didn't stumble into it by accident.

I don't really want to get into an argument as to Jake's 'Intent' when signing a pro contract. I just think to characterize a teenage kid playing a game he loves (note I said PLAYING), as making a career choice is foolish. Especially when that same characterization is used to justify him needing thicker skin.

I believe it takes a few years for these young men to realize the privilege of being an NHL hockey player... aka MATURITY. And what I was trying to focus on, is that Jake would appear to be showing signs of maturity, which is really positive.

And for the record, no, I do not believe that Jake CHOSE his career in the same manner that the rest of us choose our careers. Not being elitist here, but I think it would ridiculous to not recognize the very uniqueness of pursuing an NHL career. These kids are so young, with so little life experience, and so few tools to deal with the situation, yet they win a lottery and are expected to perform.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't really want to get into an argument as to Jake's 'Intent' when signing a pro contract. I just think to characterize a teenage kid playing a game he loves (note I said PLAYING), as making a career choice is foolish. Especially when that same characterization is used to justify him needing thicker skin.

I believe it takes a few years for these young men to realize the privilege of being an NHL hockey player... aka MATURITY. And what I was trying to focus on, is that Jake would appear to be showing signs of maturity, which is really positive.

And for the record, no, I do not believe that Jake CHOSE his career in the same manner that the rest of us choose our careers. Not being elitist here, but I think it would ridiculous to not recognize the very uniqueness of pursuing an NHL career. These kids are so young, with so little life experience, and so few tools to deal with the situation, yet they win a lottery and are expected to perform.

In what possible way did he not choose his career? Was he intending to be a lawyer when to his surprise he was drafted into the NHL? Do you think he didn't progress through the WHL with every hope of becoming an NHL player? Just because it is highly exclusive doesn't mean he didn't intentionally pursue it.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post but c'mon man, by every definition of the word "chose" he chose his career.

Blackjackz

Jun 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
In what possible way did he not choose his career? Was he intending to be a lawyer when to his surprise he was drafted into the NHL? Do you think he didn't progress through the WHL with every hope of becoming an NHL player? Just because it is highly exclusive doesn't mean he didn't intentionally pursue it.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post but c'mon man, by every definition of the word "chose" he chose his career.

I guess the basis for my argument is this... do you believe that a person can CHOOSE to be an NHL Hockey Player in the same way they choose to be a lawyer? or Plumber?

I don't disagree that as a teenager, Jake was acutely aware of the path he was heading. But honestly, do you think it was a choice? Or a dream? And the reason I make the distinction is that I really don't think there was a lot of thought put into it, which is why I am not surprised that Jake, and many other kids that are drafted, are ill-prepared for professional hockey.

Some are like Bo Horvat, and thrive in the environment, and others either take longer or never actually get it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I guess the basis for my argument is this... do you believe that a person can CHOOSE to be an NHL Hockey Player in the same way they choose to be a lawyer? or Plumber?

Yes. You absolutely can. I assume you're trying to argue that you can't *guarantee* you will become an NHL player but that is irrelevant as to whether you choose to pursue it. Similarly not everyone who wants to become a lawyer passes the bar or gets hired either. The exclusivity of the job has no bearing on the notion that you choose to pursue that career. And Jake chose to pursue being an NHLer.

You know who didn't? Ryan Pilon. Guy was drafted in the 5th by the Islanders and retired that summer. He was drafted and DIDN'T chose to become an NHLer. Jake did.

I don't disagree that as a teenager, Jake was acutely aware of the path he was heading. But honestly, do you think it was a choice? Or a dream? And the reason I make the distinction is that I really don't think there was a lot of thought put into it, which is why I am not surprised that Jake, and many other kids that are drafted, are ill-prepared for professional hockey.

Some are like Bo Horvat, and thrive in the environment, and others either take longer or never actually get it.

You are grossly underestimating the work that goes into becoming one of the top 0.001% of hockey players good enough to become an NHLer. You don't get there just because you like playing hockey for fun.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

How much time have you spent around Bantam through Junior-aged, high end hockey players?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
"Oh **** I'm drafted into the NHL, how the **** did this happen??? I was playing in the WHL and working as an intern at a sewing factory...then all of a sudden I'm drafted? What the hell? This is not the career I picked! I can't believe the NHL has forced me to play professional hockey, this is outrageous"

- Jake Virtanen, probably

Reactions: Pyromaniac

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
"Oh **** I'm drafted into the NHL, how the **** did this happen??? I was playing in the WHL and working as an intern at a sewing factory...then all of a sudden I'm drafted? What the hell? This is not the career I picked! I can't believe the NHL has forced me to play professional hockey, this is outrageous"

- Jake Virtanen, probably

And as if that isn't bad enough, just wait until he discovers the internet!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Another good game from Virtanen. Like I said, it's stupid to conclude that he should start/spend the year in Utica without seeing him play in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad