Player Discussion Jake "Big Tuna" Virtanen | XVII Nikolaj Who...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think "giving up" is what most have done, I would call it "tempering expectations"

I'm no t sure how you got that from my post, I agreed that most know that it was too soon to totally give up....the poster I quoted however did not.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
re: the title, I don't really like it just because it seems a bit petty but I don't think it's beyond the pale either. The kid's 21 and will have heard far worse during a typical hockey game or even just hanging out with buddies. Let's not get carried away with "how young" he is.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
re: the title, I don't really like it just because it seems a bit petty but I don't think it's beyond the pale either. The kid's 21 and will have heard far worse during a typical hockey game or even just hanging out with buddies. Let's not get carried away with "how young" he is.

Yeah I get that....why not change it now? We seem to change them on state of affairs in other threads?

Is there any reason not to now?

Or we can wait and see for bit...wasn't going the whole snowflake route.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think it was ever literally warranted, but he did have a bad enough year to earn some unfair abuse. if i was him reading this thread i'd using it for motivation and a reminder of how far he's come.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
i don't think it was ever literally warranted, but he did have a bad enough year to earn some unfair abuse. if i was him reading this thread i'd using it for motivation and a reminder of how far he's come.

I would hope one of the very first things management tells players is to never, ever read hockey message boards on the internet...

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
Most know giving up n a kid before he is even 23 is a bit much.

Ya lets just ignore the fact Virtanen has done nothing so far to show us anything different. He hasn't even cracked 20 points in the AHL.....

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the fat jokes were fine when he was coming into camp out of shape. It's certainly tasteless now, not so much in the moral sense, but in the sense that it's corny/incorrect/played out/dumb humor to continue doing it at this point. Less to do with sensitivity and more to do with "the guy who continues making the joke is a moron and should be ridiculed for it."

I'll admit, I still chuckle at 'No Scorfat' just because it's so far beyond the normal kind of stupid, though.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i don't think there is anything wrong with poking gentle fun at a player for overeating.

especially if the username you really wanted was taken and you just want to get registered.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
He's a high tools player. These guys are capable of figuring it out. Even Kassian last year morphed into the type of player that many here felt was simply not the type of player he naturally is.

Common variable.... WD

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think we're going to see more and more kassians and tryamkins who don't want the roles that hockey management sees for them based on their builds.

jftam

Jun 28, 2013
I'm glad Jake looks better and hopefully he's figured out that he needs to put in the work, all... the... time.

But the cynical side of me sees a kid who was mostly interested in the limelight, looking at the end of his ELC, seeing he'll get relative peanuts and trying hard now.

We'll see and hopefully he proves us wrong.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
i think we're going to see more and more kassians and tryamkins who don't want the roles that hockey management sees for them based on their builds.

It's what happens when you don't have any critical analysis ability and you make decisions based on shortcuts.

Kass yer a power forward. No.. I'm a playmaking winger. Kass yer a power forward and we're going to punish you for not driving the net.

Unhappiness ensues.

Tryamkin smash!
qozz7w0.gif

[fieldset=][collapse=text]
nBDgIly.png

6p54DVj.png
[/collapse][/fieldset]

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm glad Jake looks better and hopefully he's figured out that he needs to put in the work, all... the... time.

But the cynical side of me sees a kid who was mostly interested in the limelight, looking at the end of his ELC, seeing he'll get relative peanuts and trying hard now.

Yup. Jake hasn't proven anything to me aside from the fact that he doesn't like being in Utica.

Core player or pay-cheque player? TBD.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Speaking of... M2B has been rather quiet on this subject recently, hasnt he? Hopefully Jake keeps up recent spate of "getting it" for that reason alone.

I hope he gets it too but remember I changed my username unless the M2B your reffering to is a diffy poster pal

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

Key word being kid. I know where I was at at 21 and I am sure glad I didn't have a bunch of faceless "warriors" judging my every move and posting it.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Key word being kid. I know where I was at at 21 and I am sure glad I didn't have a bunch of faceless "warriors" judging my every move and posting it.

Meh, I agree people need to keep things in perspective about his age, but he chose his path knowing full well he'd be in the spotlight and under a magnifying glass, and he also chose to make a lot of the decisions that are drawing the criticism/judgement.

If he was too delicate to handle that, he shouldn't have chosen a career as a professional athlete—McDonalds employee, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad