Value of: Jaden Schwartz trade value

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Well sorry it's not what you want to hear, but welcome to reality. Any GM looking to trade for a rental doesn't give a rats ass what that player did 3+ years ago. They're going to look at their recent production.

Schwartz has a significantly weaker career than Taylor Hall, and its been pretty heavily speculated that even Hall won't return a 1st.

Bolded may be true, but Hall isn't the most terribly consistent guy himself. His peaks have been insane, certainly he's *capable* of huge numbers, but then he'll have a year like this one (which is unusually bad and probably not all on him, I grant you)....

Schwartz has a lower cap hit (so he'd be easier to fit in), has a bit of grit and tends to elevate his game in the playoffs and is a markedly better defensive player. Oh, and one more thing, he had a terrible regular season the year the Blues won the Cup too, before being unreal those playoffs... all things that add to his value imo

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens (if anything) ;)

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
If it's Liljegren involved I wouldn't suspect a 1st is needed; he or Amirov alone should be more than enough.

I may have valued Schwartz a little high.

That being said, Liljegren is still very much a question mark to me and with there being uncertainty with the draft I don't think 1st round picks are as valuable compared to years past

Reactions: Colt55
Dec 15, 2002
it absolutely is not lol

Stone got less with an extension and you want more for a half year of jaden Schwartz give me a break
Stone (and Tobias Lindberg) brought back Oscar Lindberg, Erik Brannstrom (#15 overall to Vegas in 2017 and quite highly regarded at the time) and Dallas's 2nd in 2020. You can poo-poo that all you want, but at the time Vegas was regarded as having paid a fairly steep price for Stone.

Also: Stone didn't come over with an extension in hand. That was 2 weeks later.

Also also: before coming over to Vegas, Stone had all of 5-8-13 in 27 playoff games with Ottawa, having gotten beyond the first round just once (the Game 7 ECF trip in 2017 where Stone went 1-1-2 for the series which, by coincidence, is exactly what he did in last year's WCF). Let's not pretend he'd shown himself to be some playoff dynamo who didn't get Ottawa farther in spite of him putting up some kind of eye-popping numbers.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Stone (and Tobias Lindberg) brought back Oscar Lindberg, Erik Brannstrom (#15 overall to Vegas in 2017 and quite highly regarded at the time) and Dallas's 2nd in 2020. You can poo-poo that all you want, but at the time Vegas was regarded as having paid a fairly steep price for Stone.

Also: Stone didn't come over with an extension in hand. That was 2 weeks later.

Also also: before coming over to Vegas, Stone had all of 5-8-13 in 27 playoff games with Ottawa, having gotten beyond the first round just once (the Game 7 ECF trip in 2017 where Stone went 1-1-2 for the series which, by coincidence, is exactly what he did in last year's WCF). Let's not pretend he'd shown himself to be some playoff dynamo who didn't get Ottawa farther in spite of him putting up some kind of eye-popping numbers.
Mark stone was coming off back to back PPG seasons no one thought It was a steep price

sandin tore up the AHL and won best defenseman of the WJC he’s brannstroms equivalent

The trade only went through because he agreed to sign, that was the only reason they got that much as they did

Oscar “suitcase” lindberg was never anything and a second isn’t worth a first

he’s a way better player than Schwartz, came with an extension and got a 2nd and brannstrom so how is Schwartz suddenly worth more without and extension?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Mark stone was coming off back to back PPG seasons no one thought It was a steep price

sandin tore up the AHL and won best defenseman of the WJC he’s brannstroms equivalent

The trade only went through because he agreed to sign, that was the only reason they got that much as they did

he’s a way better player than Schwartz, came with an extension and got a 2nd and brannstrom so how is Schwartz suddenly worth more without and extension?
But lily isn’t sandin. So lily + 2 sounds fair to this neutral fan as lily is no bran and Schwartz is no stone. Since TO has no interest in resigning maybe a 2nd going back as TO should really be going all in.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
But lily isn’t sandin. So lily + 2 sounds fair to this neutral fan as lily is no bran and Schwartz is no stone. Since TO has no interest in resigning maybe a 2nd going back as TO should really be going all in.
He asked for sandin and a first?

that’s still too much for Schwartz imo but still a hell of a lot better than the other offer

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The initial proposal was lilly and a first, it’s still an exorbitant price

lilly is turning it on right now it would be stupid to give him away when he’s starting to put it together
Depends on if Schwartz puts them over as I think this is TO’s window. They can easily sign fa. So a cup is worth some futures.

Dec 15, 2002
Still too much imo, better than the ask of sandin and a first, but still too much
Ignore that. That's pure fantasy talk.

Stone was a PPG player. In the regular season. When you're at the trade deadline, you're trying to do more than really well in the regular season. Remind me what he'd done in the postseason to-date before that trade.

"A second isn't a first" ignores that Brannstrom was highly regarded and Vegas had previously traded its 1st in 2018 and didn't want to give yet another 1st; hence, Brannstrom had to go in lieu of it, and most people viewed it as Vegas having practically traded a 1st.

Schwartz has a Cup to his name and was an integral part of winning it. Perhaps you value PPG guys in the regular season. GMs value guys who know how to win in the postseason and can be key players in doing it.

Sandin is irrelevant as noted above. Lindberg v. Lindberg are irrelevant here, other than as details to the full trade so it's not papered over as "having gotten less with an extension." Not to mention, Schwartz without an extension might be fine with teams because they might already have 7 forwards identified that they want to keep and an extended Schwartz forces them to expose someone they possibly (probably) don't want to.

Short: you're really not making the point you think you are.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Ignore that. That's pure fantasy talk.

Stone was a PPG player. In the regular season. When you're at the trade deadline, you're trying to do more than really well in the regular season. Remind me what he'd done in the postseason to-date before that trade.

"A second isn't a first" ignores that Brannstrom was highly regarded and Vegas had previously traded its 1st in 2018 and didn't want to give yet another 1st; hence, Brannstrom had to go in lieu of it, and most people viewed it as Vegas having practically traded a 1st.

Schwartz has a Cup to his name and was an integral part of winning it. Perhaps you value PPG guys in the regular season. GMs value guys who know how to win in the postseason and can be key players in doing it.

Sandin is irrelevant as noted above. Lindberg v. Lindberg are irrelevant here, other than as details to the full trade so it's not papered over as "having gotten less with an extension." Not to mention, Schwartz without an extension might be fine with teams because they might already have 7 forwards identified that they want to keep and an extended Schwartz forces them to expose someone they possibly (probably) don't want to.

Short: you're really not making the point you think you are.
The first poster I replied to asked for sandin and a first for Schwartz, it’s too much, that’s how all of this started

stone over schwartz any day of the week you’re insane for thinking because of playoff points they’re in any way equal assets

sandin and a first is a bigger package than brannstrom and a second and schwartz (while a good player) is not worth it

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The first poster I replied to asked for sandin and a first for Schwartz, it’s too much, that’s how all of this started

stone over schwartz any day of the week you’re insane for thinking because of playoff points they’re in any way equal assets

sandin and a first is a bigger package than brannstrom and a second and schwartz (while a good player) is not worth it
Yep agree with you. What a player does during the season is a better indicator than what they did a few years ago during the playoffs. Yes Schwartz had a lousy season a few years ago and then turned it on. But that is still a huge gamble since he is a few years older and once again a lousy season.

Dec 15, 2002
It is. As I said, ignore it.

You're insane if you think GMs care more about regular season performance than postseason performance when making a trade at the deadline. They're not playing for the President's Trophy or HF's Best Regular Season Roster Trophy or the Best Team On Paper, Who Knows What the f*** They'll Do in the Postseason Cup.

Like I said, I agree. Ignore it.

Dec 15, 2002
Yep agree with you. What a player does during the season is a better indicator than what they did a few years ago during the playoffs. Yes Schwartz had a lousy season a few years ago and then turned it on. But that is still a huge gamble since he is a few years older and once again a lousy season.
Right. 28-year olds with a lousy regular season on a lousy team but who've won a Cup and were key parts of a pair of postseason runs are a huge gamble, but 31-year olds with equally lousy seasons on equally lousy teams who've done less in the postseason are not - and 26-year olds with good seasons on a kind of lousy team who've never done much themselves in the postseason, ... well, that's gold folks. More than pure gold.

Good lord, no wonder people mock this place for valuing futures and youth and whatever someone did in the last 15 minutes. The jokes write themselves sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00