Value of: Jaden Schwartz trade value

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
IF the blues decide to take calls on Jaden Schwartz, what's the 28 yr old pending UFA LW (@5.35m) trade value?

Past TDL wing rental comparisons:
- RW Tyler Toffoli (2020) Tyler Toffoli Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
- RW Mark Stone (2019) Mark Stone Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps - immediately signed extension
- LW Mats Zuccarello (2019) Mats Zuccarello Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
- RW Gustav Nyquist (2019) Gustav Nyquist Trades - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Of those names (and their play at the time of the trade) I'd think Schwartz would return more than Toffol, Zuccarello, & Nyquist but less than Stone.

Seeing as Mark Stone, unretained but immediately signed an extension, basically went for a mid 1st round pick (Brannstrom) + a late 2nd, I think Jaden Schwartz, retained, would be worth either:

late 1st + 2nd

OR

mid 1st-round level prospect

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Kind of a bad year for him. Boston offers debrusk + 2nd. Or a 2020 1st plus quinn olsen

Dec 15, 2002
I think if Schwartz was on the table the haul with retention woukd be a lot greater. Let alone if a cap dump as to come back. He is a playoff hero. Just my opinion
Maybe. I know what I'd value him at; I'm curious what everyone not a Blues fans would value him at to see how closely they line up. Retention to me is merely a footnote on the deal; I think having to take a lousy contract back to help facilitate it would impact the cost more.

yes, correct
Damn. Someone's getting an epic bait-and-switch pulled on them.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He has a 15 team list on his NTC, so that could factor in.

Current cap hit shouldn't be a factor if St. Louis takes back a one year UFA dump, and that will up the value in that scenario.

He's a proven player, even if he's having a down year.

Is the team acquiring him planning on signing him?

Depending on factors and what-not, I could see a 1st and a 2nd being around his value.

EDIT: clarification

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
This is a bad year to ask for normal returns. if Taylor Hall is not getting a 1st, Schwarz is MAYBE getting a 3rd. Probably a 3rd and a D prospect (sending 2 contracts your way).

Dec 15, 2002
He has had a pretty weak year, I don't think he'd fetch the returns OP/Blues fans would expect (the toffoli/Nyquist/Zuccarello deals).
This is a perfect encapsulation of HF. It's not about what a guy has done over his career and in the postseason, it's about what a guy has done in the last 15 minutes regardless of what team he's on and how great/shitty they're doing.

Reactions: elitepete
Dec 15, 2002
This is a bad year to ask for normal returns. if Taylor Hall is not getting a 1st, Schwarz is MAYBE getting a 3rd. Probably a 3rd and a D prospect (sending 2 contracts your way).
See if you can figure out the rea$on$ why $ome player$ $uch as Hall might not return a 1st. Not to mention, Hall has no real track record to suggest he can be a difference maker in the postseason.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Are ypu serious. If that's your take then close the thread now. Lol what an awful take.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
You’d have to think Schwartz would be a highly prized acquisition if made available provided he’s healthy.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Value is similar to Hall. 2nd + B prospect. Maybe some team pays a 1st but they would have to believe in him being "the" piece to complete a championship team. 11 points in 23 games with a LBI that caused him to miss 14 games isn't an ideal setup for a rental. 2 assists in 9 games since he has come back from injury.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I prefer Schwartz to Hall. I think a team
Would offer up a late first. I think lots of teams trade their firsts this year, the end of the first round is going to be like pinning-the-tail-on-the-donkey

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
This is a perfect encapsulation of HF. It's not about what a guy has done over his career and in the postseason, it's about what a guy has done in the last 15 minutes regardless of what team he's on and how great/shitty they're doing.
Well sorry it's not what you want to hear, but welcome to reality. Any GM looking to trade for a rental doesn't give a rats ass what that player did 3+ years ago. They're going to look at their recent production.

Schwartz has a significantly weaker career than Taylor Hall, and its been pretty heavily speculated that even Hall won't return a 1st.

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Value is similar to Hall. 2nd + B prospect. Maybe some team pays a 1st but they would have to believe in him being "the" piece to complete a championship team. 11 points in 23 games with a LBI that caused him to miss 14 games isn't an ideal setup for a rental. 2 assists in 9 games since he has come back from injury.
That's dumb plenty of teams would take Schwartz a guy who drives the play foreheads and plays a two way game while beinga playoff hero goal scorer. Lol 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00