Value of: Jacob Trouba's rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Well he has made it clear before that he wanted out....I have to figure he still feels the same way....though it is odd....you would think playing for a very strong Jets team that that would be enough to lure him to stay with the Jets??

Reactions: Devonator

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
How many times have you posted a more or less copy of this post?

Trouba could settle with Winnipeg tonight for all we know, but he also might not.

Please stop trying to shut down all Trouba talk. In the past five years, 124 players have applied for arbitration and just five rulings have been made. If a ruling is made on Trouba you can’t keep acting like everything is fine and dandy. We all knows the options at hand.

If Trouba is traded — if — any team getting him (i) must be sure to resign him to not only get a rental, (ii) must be prepare to pay him very close to UFA money to keep him. Right?

Under these conditions nobody is giving up a mega package for Trouba, just like nobody is doing it for Karlsson.

*Then you can argue that Trouba loves Winnipeg and will resign there. Sure he could, we are talking if not.

*Then you can argue that Chevy will keep him and let him walk as a UFA rather than not trading him for anything less than a mega return. Sure he could, we are talking about the scenario if he doesn’t want to lose him for nothing.

You don’t have to like it, but all these threads are turned into such a mess by so many posters seemingly wanting to protect their asset or whatever. Like, what we are talking about is ridiculous, it has zero impact. It’s banter. ;)

For any outsider, Trouba not resigning with Winnipeg and Chevy not wanting to lose him for nothing aren’t absurd scenarios. From my POV, 9/10 situations like this are solved. But we are still discussing all of them, it’s not just Trouba. If I had to bet, I would bet on JT being a Jet in 2021. But he may also not be...

For the most part I agree with allot of what you have said in your post but to the bolded statment its always tough to predict trade markets. It was last season that the Colorado Avalanche traded Matt Duchene who had two seasons left before he was a UFA (same as Trouba) for:

"Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev and a 2018 second-round draft pick from Nashville along with forward Shane Bowers, goaltender Andrew Hammond, a 2018 first-round pick and 2019 third-round selection from Ottawa."

Not saying it happens every time but Trouba could be very attractive to a first mover who wants to jump the UFA market to secure him or to a team in a win now mode who is looking for a reasonably cheap top pairing RHD man for two cup runs. Ottawa getting within one win of the cup finals might have been the reason they made the big push for an asset they thought would get them over the top.

I am not sure how this will play out, perhaps you are right, but I am not quite ready to admit a trade can't be fruitful if that is the route Chevy chooses to go.

Reactions: Ola

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
The top Ds in this league are coming in at 10-11m nowadays. No top Ds ever reach it to July 1.

Sure there is a risk, but it’s a good bet that Trouba gets 8m per as a UFA in 20/21. The cap is going up a lot these days, a lot of teams have cap space. Few players out there, you got to overpay for someone. If he has a good year, he gets even more than that.

Let’s say Trouba gets 5.75m on average the coming two years, and then 8.5m as a UFA in 20-21 the coming 6 years, that is 11.5m + 51m = 62.5m total or 7.81m per the coming 8 years on average.

Is Chevy offering Trouba 7.5m per on 8 years? 7m per? If Trouba’s ask is 8m, he is signing for less than that.

In addition, Chevy really strong armed Trouba into an underpaid contract covering the last two seasons. Trouba is surely feeling that he already has left a lot of money on the table due to playing for Winnipeg. If Trouba is signing for 7.5m per and 8 years he is probably leaving even more money on the table.

To answer your question, I am betting that Chevy is offering Trouba around 6.5-7m per, that is low ball to me considering the above.
Quite the ramble, much too long to read. However, I'm not trying to stop you from talking about Trouba. I'm just trying to get you to think realistically rather than dreaming.

I know your dream is that your team will swoop in and save the Jets from losing Trouba for nothing with the selfless favour of giving us a 7th round pick for Trouba. I just want you to realize that your fantasy doesn't have a very high probability of happening.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The top Ds in this league are coming in at 10-11m nowadays. No top Ds ever reach it to July 1.

Sure there is a risk, but it’s a good bet that Trouba gets 8m per as a UFA in 20/21. The cap is going up a lot these days, a lot of teams have cap space. Few players out there, you got to overpay for someone. If he has a good year, he gets even more than that.

Let’s say Trouba gets 5.75m on average the coming two years, and then 8.5m as a UFA in 20-21 the coming 6 years, that is 11.5m + 51m = 62.5m total or 7.81m per the coming 8 years on average.

Is Chevy offering Trouba 7.5m per on 8 years? 7m per? If Trouba’s ask is 8m, he is signing for less than that.

In addition, Chevy really strong armed Trouba into an underpaid contract covering the last two seasons. Trouba is surely feeling that he already has left a lot of money on the table due to playing for Winnipeg. If Trouba is signing for 7.5m per and 8 years he is probably leaving even more money on the table.

To answer your question, I am betting that Chevy is offering Trouba around 6.5-7m per, that is low ball to me considering the above.
When Trouba garners Norris attention and votes he can be in contention with those Elite #1Dman of 10M+

No one has any clue what Trouba's ask was....I know people on hear LOL'd at the idea of paying Trouba 8M because that's a the talking heads floated, saying he isn't worth that much. Can you imagine being a GM and telling your owner "look he wanted 8M and I gave him 8.5M" as you are suggesting. I think worth Trouba is worth 7M on the open market, if we split the difference, let's say 7.5M. For his RFA years let's say the same % of cap hit as morgan reilly which equates to 5.5M on todays cap. that's an 6-8 year x 6.8M-7M deal, I think that is pretty fair given his abilities. No one knows what Chevy has offered but giving his track record of recent signings, I am sure it is a more than fair deal. It's the GM's job to get the best deal for the team.

How exactly did Chevy strong arm Trouba btw? You really think Chevy wanted it to get to the point of Trouba holding out? He reportedly offered him a 6x5.5M deal at the time which is inline with his peers. Trouba decided not to sign and not play because he wanted to be on the right side so he says. He held out, tough luck that's the risk he takes. He will make up for it as his next contract covers more UFA years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad