Jacob Trouba

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I like Hainsey BUT I think Bogo's progression, Clitsomes maturation and Troubas play will lead to an improved Dcorp.
Book mark this post 50-50 shot I look like a fool in 6 months.

On paper our D has not improved. But all it takes is a healthy Defense and it'll improve. I don't think peor are really looking at the difference there.

GGSmitty

Sep 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I see the D pairing starting like this:

Enstrom (L) Bogosian (R)

Clitsome (L) Byfuglien (R)

Stuart (L) Postma (R)

7th: Redmond/Trouba (with one possibly playing in the AHL)

Healthy scratch: Pardy (depth on the left side)

I think Bogosian should be on the first pairing for two reasons.
(1) He has elite conditioning and can easily handle 30 + mins
(2) His main job would be to shut-down the other teams top players.

This way Byfuglien can play minutes that won't burn him out (even if he is in better condition he will never be like Zack!), and can bring some scoring punch from the blueline without having to match up against the other teams top players as often.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
While I am hoping that Trouba can join the team and make an impact, all I am REALLY hoping for is that his actual play on the ice dictates his minutes and location.

IOW, if he can make the team and play good third line minutes, great. If he can handle 2nd pair minutes, even better. If the team doesn't think he's there yet and think some time in the AHL would be of benefit, that's ok too (although it would be disappointing to be honest).

The only thing that would truly disappoint me though, would be if Trouba demonstrates that he should be in the NHL, and doesn't get the opportunity due to any contract / roster implications.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Enstrom (L) Bogosian (R)

Stuart (L) Postma (R)

This way Byfuglien can play minutes that won't burn him out (even if he is in better condition he will never be like Zack!), and can bring some scoring punch from the blueline without having to match up against the other teams top players as often.

Enstrom and Bogosian may actually work. Toby is an outstanding offensive dman in his own right when he's not as concerned covering back for Buff. I know their results together weren't great but with a full training camp.

We know Clitsome and Buff work well enough together. This keeps their minutes down just enough ES and Stuart and Trouba/Redmond can play PK.

I like the idea, welcome to the forums dude!

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg
Well by signing a elc its a realistic possibility and Trouba himself has acknowledged this. So ya It's not really his choice.

i think he has a better chance of making the team than scheifele - i would be very surprised to see him start the season in the ahl - i think he's ready for the big leagues and will do all he can to make sure that it happens.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
i think he has a better chance of making the team than scheifele - i would be very surprised to see him start the season in the ahl - i think he's ready for the big leagues and will do all he can to make sure that it happens.

Have to wholeheartedly disagree with you there. There is a spot on the roster open specifically for Scheifele, be it the 2nd or 3rd line C, one of them is open. Whereas we have about 10 defensemen that could be playing in the NHL. In addition Trouba can be sent down without having to go through waivers whereas we have 7 other D-men who would have to clear.

It's possible that he plays himself into the starting line-up, but I highly doubt he has a better chance than Scheifele.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Enstrom (L) Bogosian (R)

Stuart (L) Postma (R)

First off welcome to the Board Smitty!

Under Noel I personally don't look at the Jets as having a 1st pairing when all the D are all healthy. I think they use to have their 1st offensive pairing (Buff and Toby) and their 1st defensive pairing (Hainsey and Bogo). I am not quite sure how they are going to handle this now that Hainsey is gone but I have always looked at Zach as our #1 defender (toughest matchups....key PK guy etc).

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth

Enstrom (L) Bogosian (R)

Stuart (L) Postma (R)

I hope to see:
Byfuglien/Bogosian This is a line to be scared of.

Clitsome/Enstrom This line has some threat and Enstrom won't be thrown to the wolfs aka Toews and who ever.

Redmond/Trouba This is the future, D men I would like to see take over a little more and get play time now.

Stuart/Postma better for backup and has some experience.

1st PP D can still be Buff and Enstrom.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I hope to see:
Byfuglien/Bogosian This is a line to be scared of.

Clitsome/Enstrom This line has some threat and Enstrom won't be thrown to the wolfs aka Toews and who ever.

Redmond/Trouba This is the future, D men I would like to see take over a little more and get play time now.

Stuart/Postma better for backup and has some experience.

1st PP D can still be Buff and Enstrom.

....you've grouped same handed players together for every line...which would be odd to the say the least.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Yup, it's been done in the past, good coaches and players know they don't have to be on the right side because they shoot right handed, plus I like the advantage of tight inside passes and shots up the middle. I hate those wide shots that miss the net and wrap around the boards and catch D-men flat footed, although I watched pretty close last year and the Jets didn't have that problem.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yup, it's been done in the past, good coaches and players know they don't have to be on the right side because they shoot right handed, plus I like the advantage of tight inside passes and shots up the middle. I hate those wide shots that miss the net and wrap around the boards and catch D-men flat footed, although I watched pretty close last year and the Jets didn't have that problem.

You're putting guys with others that have never played together before. I don't think those pairings mesh well at all. You don't even have a "shutdown" pairing. I mean who is gonna take the hardest defensive matchups??? :huh: And all for better angled shots and passes? Offense is not our problem from the back end.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You're putting guys with others that have never played together before. I don't think those pairings mesh well at all. You don't even have a "shutdown" pairing. I mean who is gonna take the hardest defensive matchups??? :huh: And all for better angled shots and passes? Offense is not our problem from the back end.

Many teams don't utilize pure shot down pairings these days and imo they are becoming more and more obsolete. I personally would rather run with hybrid pairings where you have both the defensive and offensive elements mixed together.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Many teams don't utilize pure shot down pairings these days and imo they are becoming more and more obsolete. I personally would rather run with hybrid pairings where you have both the defensive and offensive elements mixed together.

Actually, teams are moving more and more to OZS matchups instead of QoC matchups.
Which means more teams are moving into zone specialized units.

Big part of the reason is this is the only way to artificially raise your Sh% (albeit not by huge amounts). Vancouver has been able to push a few extra years out of the Sedins for this reason alone.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Well that's why I put these -""- around it. Because we truly won't have one. But the last person I want with Bogosian is Buff as Bogo is likely to have the hardest matchups.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that's why I put these -""- around it. Because we truly won't have one. But the last person I want with Bogosian is Buff as Bogo is likely to have the hardest matchups.

I agree, definitely not a fan of that pairing. To be honest I originally thought you were quoting the guy with the Bongo - Enstrom pairing.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
IMO Hamilton is a good example of why we should try to not have any expectations for Trouba. This time last year Bruins fans were pencilling him in on the 2nd pairing, not the 3rd. By the end of the playoffs he was a healthy scratch and at certain points in the season, he probably would have been sent to Providence for a few games had he been eligible to play there.

That's an interesting comparison. On one hand, Hamilton doesn't have the same international accolades as Trouba, and Trouba's proved immensely capable of handling everything he's been given so far, but an 82-game NHL season is definitely a whole different beast. For what it's worth, Hamilton was voted as the Bruin that most exceeded expectations in 2013.

Either way, I think Trouba will be capable of the third pairing this year for sure and really, I'm just hoping Noel doesn't misuse him, but keeping that kind of situation in the back of your head is a good idea. Gotta stay grounded in reality.

Or do I? #Trouba4Calder you heard it here first

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's an interesting comparison. On one hand, Hamilton doesn't have the same international accolades as Trouba, and Trouba's proved immensely capable of handling everything he's been given so far, but an 82-game NHL season is definitely a whole different beast. For what it's worth, Hamilton was voted as the Bruin that most exceeded expectations in 2013.

Either way, I think Trouba will be capable of the third pairing this year for sure and really, I'm just hoping Noel doesn't misuse him, but keeping that kind of situation in the back of your head is a good idea. Gotta stay grounded in reality.

Or do I? #Trouba4Calder you heard it here first

I think they call it the 7th player award and it is voted on by the fans. IMO Trouba will be further ahead of where Hamilton was last year. As already stated I'm definitely on the Trouba will become a regular this year side of the discussion.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
It's going to be very interesting to see how Trouba will perform whether he be playing with the Jets or in St. Johns next season. A lot of hype no doubt and I absolutely can't wait. Here is some highlights of his freshman year that I just watched and I can't believe that he was perceived to be a shut-down D with little offence pre-draft.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Wish they showed more of the physical aspects of his game. I love the goals, skating and assists, but the kid can bring the wood too. Love seeing highlights of him coming across the ice on a player with their head down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad