Jacob Trouba

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not laughing.

I have to admit, I'm having a really hard time keeping my expectations in check with Trouba. Part of the reason I made this thread was that most of the expectations for Trouba next season seemed...I don't know, a bit bearish?

I'm going do you one better on that prediction, jcc. I predict Trouba will be nominated for the Calder, narrowly edged out of winning it by a forward (probably MacKinnon). Bookmark it. :naughty:

Hey, I already made this call in the "Surprise Predictions" thread, except I went one further and said both Trouba and Scheifele would be in the Calder talk but get edged out by Mackinnon :laugh:

But in all serious I think the sky is the limit for Trouba and we will start seeing it this year.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I was on the Trouba bandwagon BEFORE we drafted him.
I think he'll force his way into the top 4 by game 20. I like Hainsey BUT I think Bogo's progression, Clitsomes maturation and Troubas play will lead to an improved Dcorp.
Book mark this post 50-50 shot I look like a fool in 6 months.

kudos. I think that comparing kids all over the planet at such a young age is black magic.

Honestly, on draft day, my reaction was, "Who?"

My scouting ambitions are totally in the crapper.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
as mentioned. bogosian has already played his off hand, and said he'd be willing to do so. so IF trouba is in the jets 6 it will likely be bogo that slides over

as much as i'd like to see a trouba-bogosian pairing... i dont like the idea of a clitsome - redmond/postma pairing ... even if clitsome has come a long way... just seems suspect to me. may just be a personal feeling, i dunno

short term:
enstrom - buff
clitsome - bogo
(some combination of redmond/trouba/postma)

long term:
bogo - trouba
enstrom - buff
morrissey? or UFA (depending on progress) - redmond/postma

could shape into a nice group

edit** what to do with stuart :/ does he have any trade value? for a late pick he could free up some cap room....

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm not laughing.

I have to admit, I'm having a really hard time keeping my expectations in check with Trouba. Part of the reason I made this thread was that most of the expectations for Trouba next season seemed...I don't know, a bit bearish?

I'm going do you one better on that prediction, jcc. I predict Trouba will be nominated for the Calder, narrowly edged out of winning it by a forward (probably MacKinnon). Bookmark it. :naughty:
My expectations are - no expectations. Perhaps he sticks, perhaps not.

If I had to guess, I'd guess he spends a bunch of the year in the AHL -)simply because of Buff, Bogo, Redmond and Posty. TNSE doesn't need to rush him... Not to mention the transition from a college schedule to an NHL schedule wears a lot of kids out.

The decision may be as much about development as play.

As for the calder talk, if we are hopping on the 1st train to fantasy land, how about runner up the Scheifele. ;)

Becel

I Hate Jamie Macoun
Sep 14, 2011
Buff played pretty well with Clitsome while Enstrom was injured.

How about

Byfuglien - Clitsome
Bogosian - Enstrom
Redmond - Trouba

?

Forgot Stuart, Postma and Pardy.

I see something like this to start the year:

Enstrom (L) - Byfuglien (R)
Clitsome (L) - Bogosian (R)
Stuart (L) - Trouba/Postma (R)

7 - Postma/Trouba (R)
8 - Pardy (L)

AHL - Redmond

I would be ecstatic to see Trouba force his way into the top 4 before the end of the year and have Bogo move to the left side with Trouba on the right. Then what with the 3rd pair though? Stuart and Clitsome? 2 LHD? I can handle Bogo moving to his offside, but Stuart and Clitsome don't give me that same confidence.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

If I had to guess, I'd guess he spends a bunch of the year in the AHL -)simply because of Buff, Bogo, Redmond and Posty. TNSE doesn't need to rush him... Not to mention the transition from a college schedule to an NHL schedule wears a lot of kids out.

As for the calder talk, if we are hopping on the 1st train to fantasy land, how about runner up the Scheifele. ;)

I hope he gets a legitimate shot in the preseason and into the early regular season. If it's not working out, then down to St. John's, but I don't want to see him getting 6 minutes a night with Stuart and then benched for the last 10 minutes of the 3rd because Noel is Noel.

It seems to me that Trouba's grown into whatever role was handed to him over the last year - freshman D in Michigan ends up being named to the NCAA West All-American team (the only freshman chosen for this years' All-American teams); named best D at the WJC and won gold with Team USA; played well at the World Championships and won a bronze; invited to the US Olympic orientation camp. Every time he's been given an opportunity, he seems to rise to the occasion - so I'm hoping it happens again here in a couple of months.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Fully expect Trouba to play the full season in Winnipeg this year. If Noel goes with his best 6, Jacob will be in that mix, IMO.

I think he'll get around 10-12 mins to start, then 16-18 mins by mid-season, and 20+ mins during final part of season- playing in all situations. Likely will start with Stuart on the 3rd pairing, play pk, and by the end of the year, 2nd pp unit. I don't think he'll make the Olympic team, but Buff and Bogo sure could.

I think his added minutes will come at the expense of Clitsome.

A Bogo/Trouba pairing is very enticing.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Why though?

He may be an unproven NHL entity, that sure didn't seem to stop Boston from penciling Dougie Hamilton into their third pairing. Brandon Saad was pretty much being counted on as a top 6 winger for Chicago from the start.

Hedging bets is one thing, but IMO you're not really giving a fair snapshot of their chances in 2012-13 by disregarding Jacob. If that means I'm chugging the Trouba kool-aid, then so be it.

You may be right, and this does seem consistent with TNSE's philosophy on player development.

I didn't think sending Scheifele down was the correct move from a development standpoint, but what do I know. I suppose time will tell.

The Calder comment was a silly prediction, having said that, I don't the same expectations for Scheifele as I do for Trouba. A 40-45 point season for Mark would be a fine first step in my view.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Trouba should go to the AHL and destroy it like Schiefle did with the OHL. Bring him up at the end of the year....if needed. Redmond and Postma need to fight it out for playing time too.....maximize all these assets for a trade deadline deal.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Why though?

He may be an unproven NHL entity, that sure didn't seem to stop Boston from penciling Dougie Hamilton into their third pairing. Brandon Saad was pretty much being counted on as a top 6 winger for Chicago from the start.

Hedging bets is one thing, but IMO you're not really giving a fair snapshot of their chances in 2012-13 by disregarding Jacob. If that means I'm chugging the Trouba kool-aid, then so be it.

IMO Hamilton is a good example of why we should try to not have any expectations for Trouba. This time last year Bruins fans were pencilling him in on the 2nd pairing, not the 3rd. By the end of the playoffs he was a healthy scratch and at certain points in the season, he probably would have been sent to Providence for a few games had he been eligible to play there.

Last summer the Hawks weren't planning on having Saad in that role. He played himself into that shot with how he played in the AHL during the lockout.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very interesting topic

with Jacob I don't think it is about talent or even NHL readiness. after watching him against men in the world championship last spring I am convinced that If the opportunity presents itself he will adapt and thrive in the NHL. I think he has the physical tools and I also think he is a smart player for his age. It will come down to opportunity IMHO. If our D core stay healthy and Postma and Reds progress we may be able to afford to have Jacob play big minutes in the AHL in a key role for a stretch of time. From what I have seem it will be tough to keep him out of our line up for long. He could provide a big boost to the Ice Caps and learn allot there as well so I am fine with either path.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It always an interesting discussion when we start sharing opinions on if a prospect needs more time in juniors or in the A, how they should be developed etc. But all they are is opinions, none of us actually know what is best for any individual player. That is why hockey organizations are filled with experts to make those determinations. As a fan I have to trust they will make the right decisions more often than not.

As a fan however I know what this team needs. Top tier or dare I say it, elite players coming into the organization. And after 40+ years as a fan my experience is that top players and certainly elite players (especially if they were early 1st round picks) start pushing there way into the lineup within a year or 2 of being drafted. So until proven otherwise I would like to see Trouba in this light. I want to see him come into camp and push aside Postma & Redmond and claim a 3rd pairing spot and then start pushing his way up the lineup. That's what someone with elite potential would do.

I know there is a lot of middle ground, but the flip side is a guy who slowly develops in the A and then competes for the bottom pairing in his early and mid 20's. Guys like Postma & Redmond. Sure you need guys like this but they are not hard to come by and they don't lead you to cups. Every organization needs to hit the odd homerun with their prospects in order to be a contender, and right now IMO Trouba is the most likely candidate.

Last edited:

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I would be more surprised then not if Trouba doesnt make the team out of camp.

Hopefully he can adjust to the NHL and can play against the big boys beyond his 10 game stint.

If he doesnt, oh well. Just go to St. John's and play your ass off.

There is a long future ahead. No sense sitting on the bench playing 8-10 minutes a game or going long stretches in the press box.

But, the one thing that I hope doesnt happen, is that he becomes part of a numbers game.

I would hate too see him play well enough to stick and play meaningful minutes with the Jets... only to get sent down because of this non waiver eligibilty.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Rose coloured glasses on, as I have to battle some of the negativity IRL this morning. ;)

Trouba storms into TC, and immediately secures a spot on the third pairing, eventually sliding up to the second pairing, with Bogo moving to the left side after his play demands more ice time.

Enstrom - Buff Buff
Bogo - Trouba (keep your heads up, opposing forwards)
Clitsome/Stuart - Postma/Redmond
Pardy

Make it happen Trouba!

arby18

Jun 12, 2010

Hopefully he can adjust to the NHL and can play against the big boys beyond his 10 game stint.

There is a long future ahead. No sense sitting on the bench playing 8-10 minutes a game or going long stretches in the press box.

But, the one thing that I hope doesnt happen, is that he becomes part of a numbers game.

I would hate too see him play well enough to stick and play meaningful minutes with the Jets... only to get sent down because of this non waiver eligibilty.

I think that the bolded statement above is why we should temper our expectations of Trouba for this season. Is he ready? Maybe. Did he look like he could play against the men at World? He did.

But with a glut of defenders that are not waiver eligible, including Pardy for some reason, I can easily see him spending most of the season on the Rock. And that's where I think he would develop the best.

Unless a trade on the blue-line occurs, we've got 7 guys on one-ways. Maybe Pardy slides through, but I don't think he was signed to a $700k one-way deal to play in St. John's all season.

I would enjoy being wrong here. Not sure I see it just yet.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Why though?

You may be right, and this does seem consistent with TNSE's philosophy on player development.

I didn't think sending Scheifele down was the correct move from a development standpoint, but what do I know. I suppose time will tell.

The Calder comment was a silly prediction, having said that, I don't the same expectations for Scheifele as I do for Trouba. A 40-45 point season for Mark would be a fine first step in my view.
I say "no expectations" because I don't have any. There are three scenarios that I see as reasonable and I don't see any of them as negative or disappointing.

1) He dominates camp and makes the team. Great!

2) He looks like he could play 3rd pair, but Chevy wants him logging big minutes on the Rock. That's cool with me.

3) He doesn't quite beat out Redmond or Postma and gets sent to St. John's for seasoning that's fine by me too.

I expect Trouba to show up and compete. Whether he wins out or Chevy wants him in the A - no clue.

LowEnd88

Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg
Say Trouba is good enough to stick. Is anyone worried that Noel still won’t give him the minutes he deserves? Noel’s job appears to be on the line with this season, and I wonder how much faith he will put in the rookies.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Say Trouba is good enough to stick. Is anyone worried that Noel still won’t give him the minutes he deserves? Noel’s job appears to be on the line with this season, and I wonder how much faith he will put in the rookies.

Noel has had limited issues with Kane and Bogosian and has given them ample playing time.

You listen to your coach, do as instructed, and perform... you will get playing time.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
when does the full on camp start? I think it would be interesting to see how trouba competes against grown professional athletes. I think he will bring it but will be interesting to see if he will be as physically dominate as he was against developing players his age. hope he surpasses everyone's expectation at camp.

LowEnd88

Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg
Noel has had limited issues with Kane and Bogosian and has given them ample playing time.

You listen to your coach, do as instructed, and perform... you will get playing time.

Thats true, but to be fair Kane had played 2 full NHL seasons, and Bogo had played 3 prior to the jets. None of them will be as green as our rookies.

Just some food for thought though.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Expect Bogo and Trouba to be the backbone of the Jets defense for a decade - but their games are not dissimilar and it took Bogo quite a while to learn NHL defensive positioning. The Trouba I have seen is smart positionally at the junior level, stay at home, intelligently physical (he'll make some Scot Stevens hits before its said and done) but I don't see him playing that much PP time or being that much of an offensive factor. Nevertheless, in about three years the wags will be saying the Jets have the best 'young' defensive pairing in Hockey - and by that time Morrisey will be here.

So, yeah, third pairing minutes are fine.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
He only needs to be a #4, he will be fine this year. The bigger question is do we go with clitsome or trouba on the second pairing.

Expecting him to just hop into a 2nd pairing could be easily setting yourself up for disappointment. We also don't need to put so much pressure on the kid. There's no need for it really. He is a wildcard for us this year that for sure.

Trouba will be a big part of the team this year and will score between 10-15 goals. Laugh if you want too - but bookmark this thread at the same time.

It's quite naive to expect him to be on the same level offensively as Enstrom and Buff scoring wise. When is the last time a rookie scored that many goals?

I guess I'm kinda in the same boat with regarding where he starts. I just don't expect too much early on from the kid. No reason too IMO. He won't have to be pressured into something he isn't ready for because he has guys in front of him so that's good.

I'd expect anywhere from 10-15 mins early on. I mean we've seen several different ways Noel has used our young defenseman. Postma sometimes got very limited minutes but them Redmond was trusted with 20+ mins at times. So I think if Trouba is playing well enough he'll get minutes.

I just hope people aren't setting themselves up for disappointment. He could be anywhere from an AHL guy next year to solidifying himself in the #4 spot.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think I'm one of the few who sees him as a regular next season. If anyone could surprise for a "first pairing" first year in the NHL this year out of any team, I'm sure it'd be him.

I'm going to say he surprises through pre-season and the first few games of the season and is at least 3rd pairing, maybe taking over a Redmond/Postma spot. I like Redmond and Postma, but Trouba is a whole other beast if he can get it going quickly at this level.

sort of right...except that Trouba isn't the same type of player as Postma or Redmond. I really like Redmond's ability to rush with the puck. Trouba will stick on the 3rd pairing. maybe see him with Stuart.not sure who will be with Bogo (still not sure who to put with Buff. Enstrom, I assume, but i liked Clitsome with him as well). but, i admit, having Bogo and Trouba together on the ice? wow....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad