Jacob Trouba

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That is one take but my issue with it is that Buff and Trouba did great together so.......? The problem is once Toby and Myers got shut down that left all our eggs in one basket. I think a more reasonable assumption might be that the only place Stu is even close to functional is with Trouba so PMo was trying to weld together something that might work.

I get that Jacob has fallen from grace with some of the Jets fan base and I don't want to overpay him but my vote is that we let Chevy work through this and if there is a deal to be had then off we go. Jacob can play top paring minutes with Buff in his sleep and that is not easy to find in a 22 year old.

Pay him market rate and lets keep the train rolling.

Agree with the last sentence but add 'if possible'.

I don't like the alternative of an acrimonious negotiation and possible holdout. If that is the way it appears to be headed THEN I would trade him (obviously assuming a good deal).

Agree with the earlier bolded as well. The question is WHY Paul? WHY? With other, better options why did (does?) Maurice insist on playing Stuart. He even tried to make Stu-Chiarot work. Even playing his natural side Chiarot can't carry Stu. He could have played with Postma though. :dunno:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Overrated? :sarcasm: missing?

I think we're over-invested in RHD in terms of the salary cap. It's a nice luxury to have but I don't think the Jets can sustain it if they become a competitive team. If Trouba gets $5, Buff is at $7.5 and Myers is getting his $3 or whatever it is over the next several years that's closing on 20% of the salary cap and I just don't see it as sustainable.

I like all three of Buff, Trouba and Myers. I also like Hamonic. I believe we only really need to have two of those guys on the right side. If we move Trouba over to the left side (or Myers/Hamonic) then ok, we can keep all three. I see Buff as the #1 guy. I'm fine with any of Trouba/Myers/Hamonic as our second pairing RHD. I really don't think it's prudent to be running a $3 million+ guy as your third pairing guy in a salary cap world. Obviously if we pick up Hamonic then we'll lose Trouba or Myers somehow but to my mind if no one is moving to the left side I still think we should move out one of those guys for something of need.

So assume we sign Trouba and move him to LHD playing with Myers. Buff is still playing with Enstrom. Third pairing RHD should be someone like Postma at low salary and they should only be eating about 8-10 minutes a game.

I agree that if Trouba isn't drinking the Winnipeg kool-aid we should move him (maybe to Buffalo - Myers seems to think Winnipeg is the shizzle after being there for a while). I like Trouba and would like to see him stay here for the long term. I may have been drinking the Trouba kool-aid myself, but I think this kid will be a very good NHL defender and he has shown as much when moved away from Stu. So I don't want him to be traded but understand the notion of how solid a trade chip he is. I just think he's a better defender than Myers and so would rather move the latter.

As far as Reilly goes, I honestly haven't watched him much at all and he will inherently suffer from my anti-Leafs stance in any evaluation I might give him. I do know he hasn't been partnered with Stu so he has that distinct advantage from the start of any conversation. I think objectively that Reilly and Trouba are both pretty equal in terms of their development and performance to this point so I think Reilly's contract is a solid comparison to work from. I don't see how Trouba's agent can argue for more than that (which isn't to say he won't start higher for reasons he believes) so it's a ballpark for term and dollars. Maata's contract is as well. The comps are in and I'm ok with them. I just don't think we can keep all the guys we have on the right side.

I don't see any probability of Buff, Trouba, Myers all playing the right side. I see the move of Trouba to the left as a done deal. Only a trade can prevent that IMO.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree with the last sentence but add 'if possible'.

I don't like the alternative of an acrimonious negotiation and possible holdout. If that is the way it appears to be headed THEN I would trade him (obviously assuming a good deal).

Agree with the earlier bolded as well. The question is WHY Paul? WHY? With other, better options why did (does?) Maurice insist on playing Stuart. He even tried to make Stu-Chiarot work. Even playing his natural side Chiarot can't carry Stu. He could have played with Postma though. :dunno:

One of the interesting developments this season is how much of the broader fan base has woken up to this finally? On the H&L review of Stu Tuesday they were going over options for what to do with Stu now that his game has gone into the tank. Every caller tended to agree that Stu is an amazing person but a liability on the ice now :amazed:. This is an opinion that was really only popular on this board until lately?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One of the interesting developments this season is how much of the broader fan base has woken up to this finally? On the H&L review of Stu Tuesday they were going over options for what to do with Stu now that his game has gone into the tank. Every caller tended to agree that Stu is an amazing person but a liability on the ice now :amazed:. This is an opinion that was really only popular on this board until lately?

I particularly liked the option that one caller presented. Send him to the Moose to be the veteran leader on the farm team. Whether Stuart would go for that is another matter completely though.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I particularly liked the option that one caller presented. Send him to the Moose to be the veteran leader on the farm team. Whether Stuart would go for that is another matter completely though.

Can't imagine how he would be, considering the cut in salary.
Only positive would be that the alternative is to be traded, which wouldn't be that great considering his wife works for TNSE. Although, if he were waived, then there is also the off chances the one GM will be drunk enough to think its a good idea to claim him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You can be absolutely certain that he would not like it at first but everything we see and hear about Stu hints that he would be a man about it and give it his best effort. Give him a little time to accept that his career is winding down and he might even come to like it, possibly, maybe. :) The paycheques are still coming and he is still playing hockey. He is being respected. Not bad.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can't imagine how he would be, considering the cut in salary.
Only positive would be that the alternative is to be traded, which wouldn't be that great considering his wife works for TNSE. Although, if he were waived, then there is also the off chances the one GM will be drunk enough to think its a good idea to claim him.

There would be no change in salary for him. He's guaranteed to take home the 5 ish million owed to him.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

This board tends to be 6 months-2 years ahead of public opinion

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I hope he signs soon so the rest of HF becomes bearable again.

Well, at least until the Leafs, Oilers, Flames and Jets pick Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Nylander in any order and the great comparisons will start... thought Nylander vs Ehlers was bad? Brace yourselves...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Well, at least until the Leafs, Oilers, Flames and Jets pick Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, Dubois and Nylander in any order and the great comparisons will start... thought Nylander vs Ehlers was bad? Brace yourselves...

If I had one complaint its that too many Canadian teams are bottoming out and picking talent at the same time. It leads to the mind numbing spy vs spy stuff. The good news is I manage the one controllable variable better by wandering over much less often and rarely biting on debates, I do drive by posts once and a while but that's about it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. :popcorn: I'm betting some Leafs fan offers us the Nylander brothers in exchange for Ehlers AND Trouba. :laugh:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
You can be absolutely certain that he would not like it at first but everything we see and hear about Stu hints that he would be a man about it and give it his best effort. Give him a little time to accept that his career is winding down and he might even come to like it, possibly, maybe. :) The paycheques are still coming and he is still playing hockey. He is being respected. Not bad.

Stu has earned a right to come into camp and show he can still play.

When that fails my guess is he will remain on as a 7th dman, until an injury occurs. At that point, he will fail on the ice to a level even Stu understands it is not an nhl level.

It wouldn't shock me if they do something with Stu, to work him into a position with the organization, coaching/player development. Maybe they work a buyout with this in mind.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

When that fails my guess is he will remain on as a 7th dman, until an injury occurs. At that point, he will fail on the ice to a level even Stu understands it is not an nhl level.

It wouldn't shock me if they do something with Stu, to work him into a position with the organization, coaching/player development. Maybe they work a buyout with this in mind.

There's no reason to buy him out. If he can't even function as a pressbox reserve like Pardy, then he'll go to the AHL for the remainder of his contract and be a leader for the young guys. Might as well let him play out his contract (in the AHL) instead of paying him for nothing. He can move into another capacity with the organization after that.

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners

I've noticed that H&L, and even the morning guys, seem to be aligning their takes on players with HF boards more and more. They, in turn, are influencing the public... Hey, wait, did I just suggest that we (well, not me, but the rest of you) are influencing public opinion significantly? Kudos, guys. :handclap::handclap: haha

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'm certain that they browse fan forums for content to talk about, and Rick Ralph does have an account here. It's not farfetched to think that opinions and data presented here influences mainstream media.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
RR was in a big Manitoba Hall of Fame charity NHL playoff draft a few weeks back and he absolutely crushed it with his joke telling ability. People got up to the mic to announce their first and last pick and were allowed to tell a joke.....most of the boys sucked but Rick was a champ!

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

It makes way more sense to keep him as a 7th D. The last thing you want is younger guys spending the year in the press box like Postma did this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I'm sure he'll be at camp. I'm just as sure he'll be just as awful if not worse.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Until the Jets move on from Pavs, Stu, Peluso and Thorbs they will not reach their top potential.

Chipman is loyal to a fault. In his interview on H&L he agreed that one-dimensional players (fighters) no longer were needed, and went on to say Peluso wasn't one of those cause "he can skate and shoot". Well, Mr Chipman, the guy CAN'T play. Not in the NHL. And Stu is a huge liability on the ice, too. Thorburn has a role on the 4th line, maybe, but hardly ever plays there. He seems to move up the line up far too quickly and for too long.

Until they make decisions based on what's best for the product on the ice, and not based on "cause he's good in the room" or a "good guy", this team will be seriously held back. All for guys being "good in the room", but he can't be terrible on the ice.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Until the Jets move on from Pavs, Stu, Peluso and Thorbs they will not reach their top potential.

Chipman is loyal to a fault. In his interview on H&L he agreed that one-dimensional players (fighters) no longer were needed, and went on to say Peluso wasn't one of those cause "he can skate and shoot". Well, Mr Chipman, the guy CAN'T play. Not in the NHL. And Stu is a huge liability on the ice, too. Thorburn has a role on the 4th line, maybe, but hardly ever plays there. He seems to move up the line up far too quickly and for too long.

Until they make decisions based on what's best for the product on the ice, and not based on "cause he's good in the room" or a "good guy", this team will be seriously held back. All for guys being "good in the room", but he can't be terrible on the ice.

The first two have a much larger impact on wins and losses than Thorburn and Peluso do

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The first two have a much larger impact on wins and losses than Thorburn and Peluso do

True.

For me, there needs to be an organizational shift in philosophy. You play your best players.

PoMo has hinted that's what he intends to do. But I don't believe it. Not until I see it happen. Or I believe they (Maurice, Chipman and Chevy) have blinders on when it comes to players.

You won't win with Pavs playing 60+ games. You won't win with Stu playing top 4-5 mins. You won't win with Peluso on the roster ahead of someone that could contribute and develop more.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
True.

For me, there needs to be an organizational shift in philosophy. You play your best players.

PoMo has hinted that's what he intends to do. But I don't believe it. Not until I see it happen. Or I believe they (Maurice, Chipman and Chevy) have blinders on when it comes to players.

You won't win with Pavs playing 60+ games. You won't win with Stu playing top 4-5 mins. You won't win with Peluso on the roster ahead of someone that could contribute and develop more.

It may however be beneficial in the long run for some young players to get more minutes in the AHL rather than 7-10 minutes on the fourth line. Stu's contract and his letter are also another obstacle. It will be the most interesting TC so far I think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
True.

There were some encouraging signs. Maurice showed he's got no problem playing another goalie over Pavs the past two seasons. He was cutting back Stu's minutes later in the season when he paired Trouba and Buff.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Mr patient Chevy " it a process" will wait it out and let his other Gms do all the heavy lifting in Anaheim Buffalo, Columbus, and Minny. Lindholm, Risto, Jones and Dumba will all get signed b4 July 15 th. It will then be obvious what Troubas comparable stats are. He will then be signed to a 6 yr 4.5-4.75 AAV in mid to late August.

Edit there was 6 D chosen b4 Trouba in 2012 draft. 2 slight disappointments in poulett ( Pitts) and Reinhart (NYI/EDM) and after Lindholm / Dumba signs the market is set. After Columbus and Buffalo sign the top 2 D men from 2013 ( 5 th and 8 th) to similar deals..... Trouba/ agent will have no choice to follow suit.

Feel free to save this post for later discussion in August when Trouba signs.

That's fine. They have the cap room to all-but make an offersheet impossible, so why not wait?

Use all the leverage you've got.

There were some encouraging signs. Maurice showed he's got no problem playing another goalie over Pavs the past two seasons. He was cutting back Stu's minutes later in the season when he paired Trouba and Buff.

Stuart was off the penalty kill, even. Then, was back on when that suited the team's needs*.

*Maurice was in on the tank, hard (as evidenced by the fact that a shutout wouldn't even buy the goalies the next start :laugh:).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad