Jacob Trouba

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Basically, I think that the Jets will be willing to pay full market value, and maybe a bit more, to sign Trouba long-term. But if they get a sense that he isn't really committed to being in Winnipeg long-term and his agent starts a bit of a dance to try to get him to UFA early, I think the Jets will trade him. I don't think they are going to put a huge amount of resources into players that aren't interested in being here. We'll probably have some indication before the draft, and if Trouba isn't on board, he might be an interesting trade chip on the draft floor.

Very well said.
For Trouba it may be a case of be careful what you ask for.
I personally hope we trade him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wonder if a team like the Red Wings would offer sheet Trouba with a $6+ million/yr on 4 year term?

Jets may not want to go 4 yrs, and risk him leaving at first opportunity as a UFA.

Detroit may risk it, thinking they could sign a local kid once the deal is up.

Offer sheets are extremely rare in the NHL. The Jets would just match it anyway. Detroit will have bigger issues with Datsyuk retiring and carrying the $7.5M cap hit. I doubt they are gonna be in the business of trying to drive up salaries.

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
Very well said.
For Trouba it may be a case of be careful what you ask for.
I personally hope we trade him.

Totally on board for trade, if needs to be. We could easily fill some line up holes with that trade. I hope TNSE's loyalty will not be over-exercised.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Totally on board for trade, if needs to be. We could easily fill some line up holes with that trade. I hope TNSE's loyalty will not be over-exercised.

Yes I like Trouba but he's great trade fodder.
Perfect player for Chevy to play poker with.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes I like Trouba but he's great trade fodder.
Perfect player for Chevy to play poker with.

If we trade Trouba I hope it's for a "home run swing", rather than "filling holes" in the line-up. Something around a trade to get the 2nd or 3rd overall pick, or perhaps the #4 if the Jets love someone at that spot. Nabbing Laine or Puljujarvi or maybe PLD along with Jost or a top LHD would be the type of move that might be a home run. Then package the Chicago 1st and a good prospect or pick to move up to nab Fabbro or McAvoy to fill in the RHD depth.

If you really want to dream, Jets get the #2 or #3 pick in the lottery and then trade for the other and end up with both Finns.

Chevy has quite a bit of ammunition if he's willing to include Trouba or Myers in a trade.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba doesn't have that much bargaining power, but he isn't powerless, especially if the Jets see him as a core piece. A 2-year bridge deal sounds fine now, but it brings Trouba closer to a time when he has ultimate bargaining power.

Yes it does. That is only part of the risk of a bridge deal. The Jets might have been better served by unchaining Trouba and letting him prove himself. Now they are caught between the bridge deal and a big money long term contract to an unproven player. Maybe Trouba signs 6x4.8.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't believe I am. Trouba may be restricted but he is still a free agent. He will have some bargaining power. He can soon talk with any team he likes. A draft and develop team going all in on a youth movement can't be perceived as having their expiring ELC's there for the taking. At that point all it takes is 1 team willing to give him an offer sheet. Maybe Detroit is willing to pay a bit of a premium for a 22 y/o hometown boy with top pairing potential? Sure we can match any offer sheet but now you are likely overpaying even more. But my point is a player is not bound to fall quietly in line just because a comparable signed for X amount. Sure it helps but it doesn't lock things in stone especially if a player is not completely satisfied with his current situation. If things do start getting contentious we may be able to dictate terms now but that often sets the stage for less than ideal long term outcomes.

The danger of offer sheets is vastly overrated. Trouba's performance that doesn't support a really big long term deal equally doesn't support an offer sheet.

Agreed he has some bargaining strength. If things get THAT contentious, which I do not expect, I would support trading him.

I don't see any indication that he is unhappy here or that he is likely to be hard to deal with except his agent's history. I think he will either sign for 6 years at market value or for 2 years in order to prove his higher worth. I don't want to go about looking for drama and discord.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't think that Trouba will sign for anything less than what Reilly got. I know i'm in the minority but i wouldn't trade Trouba straight up for Reilly.

:laugh: I wouldn't do that either. But Rielly looks better in negotiation and has set the bar for new contracts. It is not just Rielly but also Maatta and Klingberg. What other D coming off ELCs have signed recently who would indicate higher values?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wonder if a team like the Red Wings would offer sheet Trouba with a $6+ million/yr on 4 year term?

Jets may not want to go 4 yrs, and risk him leaving at first opportunity as a UFA.

Does Detroit have the cap space? Do they have the picks?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

If Detroit (or any other team for that matter) wants to offersheet a young defenseman they have better options both in the strength of the player and likelihood of offersheet attempt working- they would offersheet Lindholm, Vatanen, Jones or Ristolainen. Ducks being a cashstrapped budget team may not be able to match and Columbus is likely to be up against the cap, all these d-men have also proven more at the NHL level which teams might find more attractive from an offersheet point of view. I see the probability of Trouba being offersheeted at close to zero

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If Detroit (or any other team for that matter) wants to offersheet a young defenseman they have better options both in the strength of the player and likelihood of offersheet attempt working- they would offersheet Lindholm, Vatanen, Jones or Ristolainen. Ducks being a cashstrapped budget team may not be able to match and Columbus is likely to be up against the cap, all these d-men have also proven more at the NHL level which teams might find more attractive from an offersheet point of view. I see the probability of Trouba being offersheeted at close to zero

Probably true.

Jets could simply match any offer sheet, so why bother.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure why some are so quick to want to get fid of Trouba. I don't think people realize just how hard it is to get defenders Trouba's age that are as good as him. I quite frankly hope we keep him and continue to groom him on the left side where he will get plenty of minutes.

SKODEN

Apr 19, 2016
Imo he is over rated. Maurice must be seeing the same things as I am. Probably why he gets put back with Stu everytime he gets a shot to prove himself. He has a long way to go

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Mr patient Chevy " it a process" will wait it out and let his other Gms do all the heavy lifting in Anaheim Buffalo, Columbus, and Minny. Lindholm, Risto, Jones and Dumba will all get signed b4 July 15 th. It will then be obvious what Troubas comparable stats are. He will then be signed to a 6 yr 4.5-4.75 AAV in mid to late August.

Edit there was 6 D chosen b4 Trouba in 2012 draft. 2 slight disappointments in poulett ( Pitts) and Reinhart (NYI/EDM) and after Lindholm / Dumba signs the market is set. After Columbus and Buffalo sign the top 2 D men from 2013 ( 5 th and 8 th) to similar deals..... Trouba/ agent will have no choice to follow suit.

Feel free to save this post for later discussion in August when Trouba signs.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Imo he is over rated. Maurice must be seeing the same things as I am. Probably why he gets put back with Stu everytime he gets a shot to prove himself. He has a long way to go

I disagree with almost everything in this post. Maurice talks constantly about giving Trouba more minutes so I don't think Maurice agrees with you at all.His playing with Stu is more a function of Buff and Myers also playing the right side and Bogosian before he was traded. When Myers and Enstrom were still in the lineup he had clearly been moved away from Stu and was part of a solid top 4.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Mr patient Chevy " it a process" will wait it out and let his other Gms do all the heavy lifting in Anaheim Buffalo, Columbus, and Minny. Lindholm, Risto, Jones and Dumba will all get signed b4 July 15 th. It will then be obvious what Troubas comparable stats are. He will then be signed to a 6 yr 4.5-4.75 AAV in mid to late August.

Feel free to save this post for later discussion in August when Trouba signs.

I have no issues if this is how it plays out. Other than wanting 7 or 8 years personally.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm not sure why some are so quick to want to get fid of Trouba. I don't think people realize just how hard it is to get defenders Trouba's age that are as good as him. I quite frankly hope we keep him and continue to groom him on the left side where he will get plenty of minutes.

I've said a couple of times that I don't mind trading him. I think most of us who say that, mean that we don't mind trading him "For the right deal". I don't want to give him away, but being a young defenseman that has a very good reputation right now, he has a lot of trade value for things we may need.

In my opinion it all comes down to his one on one with Chevy. The players/coaches/GM will all know if he REALLY wants to continue here in Winnipeg. I think that the Jets are building something good where people are happy here and see themselves as Jets. Does Trouba fit that description? I don't know one way or the other.

But I do know that he's a perfect bargaining chip if something makes us better.

..... and of course I think he's overrated. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

That is one take but my issue with it is that Buff and Trouba did great together so.......? The problem is once Toby and Myers got shut down that left all our eggs in one basket. I think a more reasonable assumption might be that the only place Stu is even close to functional is with Trouba so PMo was trying to weld together something that might work.

I get that Jacob has fallen from grace with some of the Jets fan base and I don't want to overpay him but my vote is that we let Chevy work through this and if there is a deal to be had then off we go. Jacob can play top paring minutes with Buff in his sleep and that is not easy to find in a 22 year old.

Pay him market rate and lets keep the train rolling.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Trouba is young, and has top pairing upside written all over him. You don't get rid of these players - you sign 'em.

No one is off limits regarding trades, but it's pretty tough to get someone like Trouba - I have a feeling we'd miss him if he were offloaded.

Get 'er done, Chevy. :nod:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I've said a couple of times that I don't mind trading him. I think most of us who say that, mean that we don't mind trading him "For the right deal". I don't want to give him away, but being a young defenseman that has a very good reputation right now, he has a lot of trade value for things we may need.

In my opinion it all comes down to his one on one with Chevy. The players/coaches/GM will all know if he REALLY wants to continue here in Winnipeg. I think that the Jets are building something good where people are happy here and see themselves as Jets. Does Trouba fit that description? I don't know one way or the other.

But I do know that he's a perfect bargaining chip if something makes us better.

..... and of course I think he's overrated. :laugh:

Overrated? :sarcasm: missing?

I think we're over-invested in RHD in terms of the salary cap. It's a nice luxury to have but I don't think the Jets can sustain it if they become a competitive team. If Trouba gets $5, Buff is at $7.5 and Myers is getting his $3 or whatever it is over the next several years that's closing on 20% of the salary cap and I just don't see it as sustainable.

I like all three of Buff, Trouba and Myers. I also like Hamonic. I believe we only really need to have two of those guys on the right side. If we move Trouba over to the left side (or Myers/Hamonic) then ok, we can keep all three. I see Buff as the #1 guy. I'm fine with any of Trouba/Myers/Hamonic as our second pairing RHD. I really don't think it's prudent to be running a $3 million+ guy as your third pairing guy in a salary cap world. Obviously if we pick up Hamonic then we'll lose Trouba or Myers somehow but to my mind if no one is moving to the left side I still think we should move out one of those guys for something of need.

So assume we sign Trouba and move him to LHD playing with Myers. Buff is still playing with Enstrom. Third pairing RHD should be someone like Postma at low salary and they should only be eating about 8-10 minutes a game.

I agree that if Trouba isn't drinking the Winnipeg kool-aid we should move him (maybe to Buffalo - Myers seems to think Winnipeg is the shizzle after being there for a while). I like Trouba and would like to see him stay here for the long term. I may have been drinking the Trouba kool-aid myself, but I think this kid will be a very good NHL defender and he has shown as much when moved away from Stu. So I don't want him to be traded but understand the notion of how solid a trade chip he is. I just think he's a better defender than Myers and so would rather move the latter.

As far as Reilly goes, I honestly haven't watched him much at all and he will inherently suffer from my anti-Leafs stance in any evaluation I might give him. I do know he hasn't been partnered with Stu so he has that distinct advantage from the start of any conversation. I think objectively that Reilly and Trouba are both pretty equal in terms of their development and performance to this point so I think Reilly's contract is a solid comparison to work from. I don't see how Trouba's agent can argue for more than that (which isn't to say he won't start higher for reasons he believes) so it's a ballpark for term and dollars. Maata's contract is as well. The comps are in and I'm ok with them. I just don't think we can keep all the guys we have on the right side.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I don't see any indication that he is unhappy here or that he is likely to be hard to deal with except his agent's history. I think he will either sign for 6 years at market value or for 2 years in order to prove his higher worth. I don't want to go about looking for drama and discord.

I do. As a pessimist, I live for angst. I really should live in Edmonton. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad