Jacob Trouba

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ladd said the same thing.
It's hard to know what it's worth. My gut tells me that Scheif wants to stay here...period, while Trouba wants to stay here, like Ladd, for the right price.

I'm fine with guys who want to stay here for the right price. I just don't want the guys that can't wait to get to the south or some big market.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
I've noticed this before, but Trouba and Connor speak the exact same way. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since they both grew up in Michigan, but I just think it's funny how similar they sound.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If Trouba signed for 8 years, I would give him 50 million.
If Scheifele signed for 8 years, I would give him 56 million.
I would try to get them both signed for 8 years and give the A to Scheifele and tell Trouba that his A will be the next one given out. Stuart should have his A taken away. Wheeler C Scheifele A Little/Buff A...
In four years, both of these contracts will be considered a steal.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I would try to get them both signed for 8 years and give the A to Scheifele and tell Trouba that his A will be the next one given out. Stuart should have his A taken away. Wheeler C Scheifele A Little/Buff A...
In four years, both of these contracts will be considered a steal.

I agree he's bad at hockey but that doesn't mean he can't be a leader on this team. I'm not a Stuart fan myself, far from it, but I don't think he deserves to have his letter stripped.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I agree he's bad at hockey but that doesn't mean he can't be a leader on this team. I'm not a Stuart fan myself, far from it, but I don't think he deserves to have his letter stripped.

No way Trouba gets anywhere near Scheifele money yet. Scheifele has proven himself and is steadily improving. Trouba is still largely potential and hasn't improved to nearly the same extent, if at all.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I would try to get them both signed for 8 years
Signing 2 players for the same long year contracts is a bad ideal. You have to stagger contracts. You don't want 2 star players contracts up at the same time.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
No way Trouba gets anywhere near Scheifele money yet. Scheifele has proven himself and is steadily improving. Trouba is still largely potential and hasn't improved to nearly the same extent, if at all.

I wasn't agreeing with the post as a whole, I was just discussing the bolded point.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
If Trouba and Ovehardt aren't willing to play nice in contract negotiations, I'm comfortable with trading him. It would suck, but if it has to happen, it will.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Report: Trouba to meet with agent to ‘strategize’ for contract talks with Jets

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-the-search-for-the-perfect-playoff-format-1.473661

Jacob Trouba and agent Kurt Overhardt are expected to meet this week to strategize before negotiations open between the restricted free agent and the Winnipeg Jets. It shouldn’t be difficult to set a target after Morgan Rielly’s six-year, $30-million deal with the Maple Leafs last week. Rielly and Trouba, both 22, were taken four picks apart in 2012. They both have three seasons under their belt. Rielly has one more point in 25 more games. One difference is they are trending in different directions. Rielly’s goals, points and minutes have been on the rise; Trouba has failed to match his rookie production from 2013-14 in those three categories. Rielly has also made it work with Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak as his two most frequent defence partners, while Trouba has sometimes benefitted from Dustin Byfuglien and Zach Bogosian. A deeper dive at the analytics would suggest Trouba compares favourably with Rielly, but there are other outliers in these negotiations, as it depends on how many years of free agency the Jets are willing to buy up or what other kind of no-trade protections Trouba may be seeking. An eight-year deal, for instance, would cost more in AAV for the Jets. Rest assured, fellow restricted free agents Seth Jones, Rasmus Ristolainen, Hampus Lindholm and Matt Dumba will all be taking notes

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Report: Trouba to meet with agent to ‘strategize’ for contract talks with Jets

http://www.tsn.ca/mondaymustread-the-search-for-the-perfect-playoff-format-1.473661

Jacob Trouba and agent Kurt Overhardt are expected to meet this week to strategize before negotiations open between the restricted free agent and the Winnipeg Jets. It shouldn’t be difficult to set a target after Morgan Rielly’s six-year, $30-million deal with the Maple Leafs last week. Rielly and Trouba, both 22, were taken four picks apart in 2012. They both have three seasons under their belt. Rielly has one more point in 25 more games. One difference is they are trending in different directions. Rielly’s goals, points and minutes have been on the rise; Trouba has failed to match his rookie production from 2013-14 in those three categories. Rielly has also made it work with Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak as his two most frequent defence partners, while Trouba has sometimes benefitted from Dustin Byfuglien and Zach Bogosian. A deeper dive at the analytics would suggest Trouba compares favourably with Rielly, but there are other outliers in these negotiations, as it depends on how many years of free agency the Jets are willing to buy up or what other kind of no-trade protections Trouba may be seeking. An eight-year deal, for instance, would cost more in AAV for the Jets. Rest assured, fellow restricted free agents Seth Jones, Rasmus Ristolainen, Hampus Lindholm and Matt Dumba will all be taking notes

Great news. Thx

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/04/18...t-to-strategize-for-contract-talks-with-jets/

Winnipeg defenseman Jacob Trouba and his agent, Kurt Overhardt, are “expected to meet this week to strategize†for contract negotiations with the Jets, according to TSN’s Frank Seravalli.

Strategize = ask for $8,000,000 / yr for 8 years and see what sticks to the wall.

His most effective negotiating factor should have been more effective play on the ice this year.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The market is pretty much set now. The only strategy is whether they want pursue a bridge or a long term contract.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If Trouba and Ovehardt aren't willing to play nice in contract negotiations, I'm comfortable with trading him. It would suck, but if it has to happen, it will.

I dont get this play nice stuff. It's contract negotiations they aren't supposed to be all rosy, any negotiations can be harsh. What do you think him not playing nice means exactly? I mean he'll have to budge eventually, he's a RFA. I think some of this stuff is overrated, but if he doesnt want to be here get rid of him, but I don't think we've heard a vetted source claim that have we?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I understand the reality of the contract negotiations, but we saw what they went through with Ryan Johansen in Columbus. He was coming off of his ELC as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The market is pretty much set now. The only strategy is whether they want pursue a bridge or a long term contract.

Agreed. And it has been set at a nice number. I'd take a chance on Trouba and look at locking him up long term. He is already a top 4 d-Man at 22 y/o with lots of potential yet. I hope we lock him in while the market favours us.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Not only is the market set, but an independent assessment as to his relative value has been made by Peter Chiarelli. I see him getting fractionally less than Reilly.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Agreed. And it has been set at a nice number. I'd take a chance on Trouba and look at locking him up long term. He is already a top 4 d-Man at 22 y/o with lots of potential yet. I hope we lock him in while the market favours us.

Agreed. 5 mil x 8 years :)

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. 5 mil x 8 years :)

Do you think Trouba would go 8 years? That puts him at 30 for his UFA contract. You'd have to think the agent would push hard for a 5-6 year deal to put him in optimal position at age 27-28 for his UFA deal. I think Chevy gets Trouba done at the same number as Rielly...maybe a shade less.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jets should sign Trouba on a fair deal to tempt the cost conscious Ducks and swap him for Lindholm and pay Lindholm like a king

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad